1976D (Bicentennial) Half Dollar : the Collar and Cuffs Don't Match

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This week's (skunk) box of halves produced a coin that I've never seen before.

Like most CRHers, I check the rims when I unwrap a roll to see if there is any apparent silver.

On roll 49, I saw what I was sure was a silver coin. Absolutely no evidence of cladding.

I've provided a picture of the coin 'in context' as well as the obverse and reverse of the coin.

Any idea what happened? I almost looks like someone silver plated the rim only because the obverse and reverse of the coin looked a little strange -- shiny but with obvious wear. Pictures don't show this effect but it's clear to the naked eye and under magnification.

Attachments

• 1976D half stack.jpg
    1976D half stack.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 67
  • 1976D obverse.jpg
    1976D obverse.jpg
    652.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 1976D reverse.jpg
    1976D reverse.jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 0

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
This week's (skunk) box of halves produced a coin that I've never seen before.

Like most CRHers, I check the rims when I unwrap a roll to see if there is any apparent silver.

On roll 49, I saw what I was sure was a silver coin. Absolutely no evidence of cladding.

I've provided a picture of the coin 'in context' as well as the obverse and reverse of the coin.

Any idea what happened? I almost looks like someone silver plated the rim only because the obverse and reverse of the coin looked a little strange -- shiny but with obvious wear. Pictures don't show this effect but it's clear to the naked eye and under magnification.
That coin has been plated.
I have seen 100's of them over the years.
Always makes you do a double take.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Someone plated that one. Either for a collection or a promotion of some sort. I had 11 of them in one box once. Not worth anything, but they get the blood moving when you see them while edge checking. The rim will be the last spot the plating will survive, as it wipes off the more abused front and back sides

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...... and the added plating will get them rejected by many coin machines. nitwits do nitwit things---- cancel nitwits:BangHead::BangHead:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found two but mine were pulled from a proof set as they had the cameo appearance still, although you could tell they had some circulation scratches. Gave one to my Daughter since she was born in 1976 and kept the other.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread