Back in the saddle

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
I had been away from this site for several or so years, until I happened to sign on a month or so ago, and saw a familiar (screen) name.

Immy and I were friendly rivals/colleagues back in the hey day of this hobby/forum (~'06 - ~'11). For various and sundry reasons we both had left the forum. So I was all to happy to see Immy had come back, and was doing well. That may have encouraged me, a tad, for I'm going back out to banks and a see what can still be found.

I haven't quite the bragging numbers ole Immy has, but I also haven't (yet) put in the time.

Eight boxes of halves the last several or so weeks, and only a lone 40%er and an NIFC I didn't have yet, to show for it. However, as I had posted last month, I did walk away with a very nice small haul from a bank's coin counter bag.

So. thanks for the nudge, old pal, and let's see if we can kick start this forum again.

Happy Hunting, all.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen brutha, and good to see you back! :occasion14:

Can't tell you how great it is to see TNet vets returning. Things have changed a helluva lot since then but if there was ever a time to rekindle the ol' hobby, it's now, when we need an immersive, enjoyable distraction from this mad world.

If only we could get GMan back into the Old Timers club...

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen brutha, and good to see you back! :occasion14:

Can't tell you how great it is to see TNet vets returning. Things have changed a helluva lot since then but if there was ever a time to rekindle the ol' hobby, it's now, when we need an immersive, enjoyable distraction from this mad world.

If only we could get GMan back into the Old Timers club...

I still monitor the forum fairly regularly, but I have been too busy with my other hobby (sports cards) to do much with coins unfortunately.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Welcome back, I do remember seeing your posts way back when. Things have been really slow here in northern Az for finding any silver halves. But it is a hobby, so I take what I can find when I find it.

OP
OP
thurmownator

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
I still monitor the forum fairly regularly, but I have been too busy with my other hobby (sports cards) to do much with coins unfortunately.

Ahhh, another kindred spirit from days of yore. Good to see you still out there Gman. Hey if we can find TXTim & LJ maybe we can "get the band back together.".

Wishing you good luck, and I plan to do more CRHing and posting back on this forum, and trust you will too.

Stay safe and good hunting, old friend.

OP
OP
thurmownator

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome back, I do remember seeing your posts way back when. Things have been really slow here in northern Az for finding any silver halves. But it is a hobby, so I take what I can find when I find it.

Thanks weighit. Good to be back. Don't give up. Remember, "Behind every dark cloud is a silver lining". Thurm

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Great to see alot of the old gang! I read the forum almost every day, but sadly there aren't near as many posts as there used to be.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Wow! Great to see alot of the old gang! I read the forum almost every day, but sadly there aren't near as many posts as there used to be.

I find the banks are not nearly as easy to work or deal with as in the past. Maybe just around here, don't know for sure.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find the banks are not nearly as easy to work or deal with as in the past. Maybe just around here, don't know for sure.

While I have been too busy with my other hobby to do much, I will add that what was my main pickup back merged with another bank and no longer allows the selling of bags off their coin machines and my main dump bank got rid of their automatic coin counters.

In other words, if I was to get back into it more than just dabbling a little, I would need to come up with a whole new strategy to do any volume.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
While I have been too busy with my other hobby to do much, I will add that what was my main pickup back merged with another bank and no longer allows the selling of bags off their coin machines and my main dump bank got rid of their automatic coin counters.

In other words, if I was to get back into it more than just dabbling a little, I would need to come up with a whole new strategy to do any volume.

That is exactly my problem here in northern Az. Branches are closing, lack of tellers and cutting hours of lobby open times. Some banks are being bought up by another bank and they won't order boxes. Might just have to go back to metal detecting old places again....rats! Coin Roll Hunting was so much easier on the old knees.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

In my early days here, I believe I was more addicted to the forum than actually hunting.

OP
OP
thurmownator

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
I hear what you're saying Gman. However, I don't count us old timers out just yet. With age and experience comes wisdom. Keep the faith, brother.

OP
OP
thurmownator

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

I hear what you're saying Gman. However, I don't count us old timers out just yet. With age and experience comes wisdom. Keep the faith, brother.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

While I could probably find my way to a new strategy, my bigger issue is time as my other hobby keeps me quite busy.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another old timer reporting in. Haven't been searching since this pandemic started but planning on getting back into it again when things improve.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Still kicking here in Maine - not much into CRH lately as the pandemic only means less free time and more work as my job is on the front line of it. Hit a few banks now and then but the days of 12k in boxes a week are in the past for me I think... Enjoyed the heyday and even pulled a banner for a find. Probably still a few out there if you have the time, maybe after I retire I'll dive back in!

Maine_Jim

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Hey guys!
Checking in.
This game has changed.
Banks are stingy and my banks removed the machines.
I turned in $13K of solid copper a couple years ago.
It took 8 weeks lol.
Hope you're all doing well.
Gonna dust my Minelab off and start swinging again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions