Coin Roll Hunting: The Next Treasure Hunting Craze? Volume 42 January 2008 WET - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    us
    Apr 2011
    232 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    post Hunt Bro's silver was being hoarded still, even though the market had tanked people were still hoarding for the next run up IMO.....eventually it got tossed back or people died and it got tossed back, but anyway you slice it enough is still in circulation / still getting tossed back by the unknowing masses.

us
    Jan 2012
    Wisconsin
    10 times
    The only people that I have told about it are my immediate family (wife & kids) and they are pretty blase about the whole thing. I think that most people have notions about what is actually in circulation, and about coins in general. Another thread on this boad - "What is the funniest things you have heard about coins?" or something like that. Most people think that all of the silver was melted down, all coins have silver in them, old coins arent legal tender any more.

Case in point - the other day at work I was talking about coins with another "collector" and I mentioned Eisenhowers. He laughed at me and said there has never been a large dollar coin. I simply said something like "I've got 10 of them sitting in my car right now." He even called in another "coin expert" for advice and he confirmed that the only dollar coin other than the presidentials was the SBA. To which I just shook my head and agreed with the coin experts. The less they know, they better off we are.

The other coin expert initiated a coin conversation later on and told me that most people who collect coins don't know the right way to do it; you need to focus on 1 coin at a time, and try to complete that "set" before you move on to a different one. He said he almost has a complete set of pennies. Again, I just shook my head, smirked and told him that I appreciated his expertise in the matter.

Apr 2012
    4 times
    Scouring flea markets for old violins
    Quote Originally Posted by jarlbartar View Post
    Case in point - the other day at work I was talking about coins with another "collector" and I mentioned Eisenhowers. He laughed at me and said there has never been a large dollar coin. I simply said something like "I've got 10 of them sitting in my car right now." He even called in another "coin expert" for advice and he confirmed that the only dollar coin other than the presidentials was the SBA. To which I just shook my head and agreed with the coin experts. The less they know, they better off we are.
    It ticks me off a bit that I have to resort to calling them "big" dollar coins, since requests for "Eisenhower dollars" invariably elicit grimaces and a disbelieving "Eisen-who?"

On the other hand, and slightly off-topic, one informed and customer-oriented teller told me he had "no Ikes" but pulled out a tray with a few Morgan and Peace dollars. He went through them, tossed the Morgans back, and handed me four Peace dollars with the admonition to "have them checked because [he thinks] they're silver." I appreciate the tellers who cull silver and are honest about it. Many of them are willing to part with some of the stock they've built up in their drawers and if not, they are often helpful sourcing other goodies.

I can't stand the tellers who have a stack of silver in plain view and make up weak excuses like "we're not allowed to give those out" or "I'm saving them for someone who's coming in later." I also understand that some people have established relationships with branch personnel, but the latter case had me particularly peeved because I'd been stopping by that branch religiously every week for about four months and the same teller told me she'd save halves for me but would never produce any when I would check in. She should have indicated either 1.) that she didn't *want* to part with the coins or 2.) that her branch was already someone else's searching grounds. She's getting a grand dump from me next week.

The other coin expert initiated a coin conversation later on and told me that most people who collect coins don't know the right way to do it; you need to focus on 1 coin at a time, and try to complete that "set" before you move on to a different one. He said he almost has a complete set of pennies. Again, I just shook my head, smirked and told him that I appreciated his expertise in the matter.
    You have a lot more tact and patience than most people. That fellow probably thinks pennies didn't exist before 1959.
    Last edited by kontrapunktus1750; Apr 13, 2012 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Clarification

us
    Jul 2011
    Bank Tellers
    91 times
    Is anybody else able to open the page that this topic links to? I just get an "internal server error" page.

us
    Jan 2012
    Maryland
    White's Coinmaster
    745 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by jarlbartar View Post
    "What is the funniest things you have heard about coins?"

Yup, that's my thread. Maybe I should bump it back up.

May 2006
    CO, AZ
    dfx, Ryedale!
    214 times
    Haven't seen this thread for 4 years. Still have the magazine, and still miss LJ, who hasn't been here for a while now. And miss SIlver Fox too, who started the thread. He was the orignial person who was big on this site that died unexpectedly, long before Rich died. Is his brother still here from time to time? Saw some other names on the posts I haven't seen post for a while. KInda cool.

Oh, and the second person mentioned in the article - the newbie Ryan? Also gone. Wow, that was 4 years ago and almost all parties that were part of that thread or article are now gone. Bonnie left the board, Ryan disappeared, SIlverFox died. AMazing!

Good folks posted on this threat. Folks no longer here. Good to see it again. :-) Sad to see them gone, but good to see it anyway.
    Last edited by jrf30; Apr 13, 2012 at 06:56 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links