Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
Upvote 0

snappy

Jan 23, 2007
sidney montana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Bonnie. and Ryan... broke the first rule of CHR TELL NO ONE shame on you!! Things are going to get a lot harder now..

OP
OP
Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
snappy said:
Bonnie. and Ryan... broke the first rule of CHR TELL NO ONE shame on you!! Things are going to get a lot harder now..
Seeing it was already online I figured I'd post the whole story here.

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Re: Coin Roll Hunting: The Next Treasure Hunting Craze? Volume 42 January 2008

Things are going to be tight for the next few months. I didnt find much of anything this week. *Sigh* its over, all the silver is gone.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE

jewelerdave said:
Things are going to be tight for the next few months. I didnt find much of anything this week. *Sigh* its over, all the silver is gone.

I agree - I give up. ::)

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another facet that may change is banks' attitudes about ordering rolls. Can you see policies changing very quickly if hundreds of customers start asking for rolls?

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
"ME" - Mark

I guess I don’t understand your hostility. Is it that others may get the same joy that you now get from CRH? That they may find some of what you consider “your” silver? I don’t know. But, your previous posts contradict your rant you just made.

Let me give an example or two ... or a few more. You write <<You made it sound like all you have to do is go to the bank and you will find a Ben or Walker, with only a hint of "Oh you might not find anything".>>

Yet, YOU wrote <<Lets see 15 boxes worth- I'll be more optomistic than MM, say an even 100,>> So, your guess of an average find in 15 boxes of halves is 100 silver pieces. And you were probably pretty close to accurate. Sounds like there is silver in a LOT of boxes! Maybe not a Ben or a Walker, but silver. Yes, what was written (I never said you will find Bens or Walkers easily. Sorry. Read it again) is accurate. You may not like it, but it is accurate. :)

How about YOUR results. From YOUR posts…

<<Results from yesterdays search, first box gave up one 40%, second box gave up one 40%, third box gave up 2 40%, last box gave up 9 40%>>

So, you had four boxes. How many gave you silver? FOUR. STILL sounds to me like “all you have to do is go to the bank and you will find silver”.

And you know what? GOOD FOR YOU. :) I’m GLAD you found silver in all four boxes. Isn’t this a GREAT hobby? :) Yep, it is. Which is why I SHARED it with readers of a magazine. Because I think this is good news, and good news should be shared.

How about a few days ago? <<my boxes yesterday, first one no silver, second 12 40%>> Okay, so you had another GOOD day. 12 silver in 2 boxes. Congrats! What do you want me to write? That you get skunks MOST of the time? That just isn’t true! That it is rare that you find silver? Apparantly NOT true, per your posts. Look at more below. Your own words prove that what I wrote IS true. People DO find silver on a MAJORITY of their trips. Including YOU. Back to your posts...

Another prior post of the last few days. <<First box gave up a '79 proof- skunk silverwise, second box had a '64 showing (thas why it was the second box), anyways got the one '64 and 12 40%ers. >> That’s 13 silvers in two boxes. Better than the 12 shown aabove. And not "zero". Am I supposed to say that most boxes are skunks? Or that you will get a lot of skunks? I don’t see it in YOUR boxes.

Understand my point. It is rare to find silver while detecting. Now, as shown by YOUR OWN POSTS, you are finding silver almost DAILY. Is that not what I WROTE? That silver can be found ongoing and continuously? You didn’t have to rob the bank to get it. You only asked them to order the boxes. That’s all others have to do. You didn’t have to do anything difficult to GET them to order the boxes either. So my printing that it is easy to do and that silver comes to people daily? That is all true.

You are upset because you don’t want to share the secret. You found out from someone about CRH, but you don’t want others to know what you found out. For that, I can say …. We disagree. I think of it differently. But, for you to say that I made it seem too easy? Tell me where it is NOT easy! the weight of carrying the halves? What is HARD about it? And how many days do you have where you get NOTHING? My articles eemed like you get silver every day you go to the bank. KNow what? So do YOUR posts!! Tell me how your experiences show anything different than what I wrote.

<<Got my 2 boxes I ordered for today … Not great but getting better- got one '64 and 11 40%ers. >>

<<First box gave up dos 64's and 17 40%ers. Second box only three 40%'s>>

<<It be snowin silver in December>>

<<I go there this AM to dump $1100 in halves like I do every week and after the count the teller puts a couple of Bens on the counter- "Do you want these"? Yes please! $10 worth of silver cost ME a buck today>> Can I quote that one? So easy they GIVE (sell) you the Bens when THEY find them. ;D

<<I had two boxes come in and I went and got a box in the vault of another, looking for April, 06 but got another new box instead. Ordered boxes gave up 9 40%ers and one proof- extra box= SKUNK>>

I can’t find a SINGLE DAY where you said you didn't find silver. Tell me the name of a MDer that can say that same thing after being outside digging all day. never a day without silver? Yet you have silver every day. Sounds like it is nice pickings to ME.

Okay, enough. Happy hunting. But, the article is correct, and YOU prove it to be correct. And I hope you continue to prove it to be true.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Immy said:
Another facet that may change is banks' attitudes about ordering rolls. Can you see policies changing very quickly if hundreds of customers start asking for rolls?

Nothing is going to change. Each bank in America is not going to see hundreds of people asking for rolls. Think about how many people there are in the U.S. Then think about the number of people who will actually read that article. Then think about the number of people who read that article that will actually go out and get rolls at the bank. Then think about the number of that group of people who will get skunked the first time they try and give up. That leaves a number that won't even make a difference in this hobby.

If you don't like other people CRHing, what are you going to do to them? Are you going to threaten them to stop CRHing? Most if not all of those people would just laugh in your face and walk to the closest bank and pick up some rolls. People will do what they want to. Get over it and don't be greedy and don't complain. Its one thing to just not tell anyone about "your" hobby, but its another thing to ***** about people getting into "your" hobby.

Note: This post is not directed toward any certain individual so don't accuse me of that.

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
jrf30 said:
"ME" - Mark

I guess I don’t understand your hostility. Is it that others may get the same joy that you now get from CRH? That they may find some of what you consider “your” silver? I don’t know. But, your previous posts contradict your rant you just made.
You should have sent ME a PM as I did you since my post has disappeared. The above quote makes ME out to be a monster and my post wasn't like that. You left out the part in your article about the thousands of dollars of buying and dumping done to make most of those finds. You made is sound like buy a few rolls and find a bunch of silver, note you focused on the large finds but always said buy some rolls ---not boxes. There's more but I'm done.

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500

I see the article as a good thing for CRH.

I think the hobby will see some increase in "members" due to these types of articles... but not for long.

I think the CRH club will always have it's "core" members.

When the price of silver increases, so will the fair-weather members.

When the price of silver decreases, the core members rule.

Now, like I encouraged Bonnie: Say "HA!" and SMILE!

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think anyone here begrudges others from joining our ranks. We've always put out the welcome mat for newbies here and anything that resembles greed or animosity on our part is not our intention.

But the bank issues are real. Long before the above article some banks saw a rising interest in ordering boxes. Enough so that changes were implemented; additional fees, restrictions on quantities and so on. Not industry-wide of course, but enough that some loyal CRHers felt the need to change banks. Don't forget that W&ET has a core MD readership that is largely snowed over right now. We already know they are just as tenacious with coinshooting as we are CRH-ing, and consequently less likely to get easily discouraged by poor initial results. If they catch the CRH bug it's not unreasonable to expect more changes in bank proceedures, which could hurt all of us.

But I hope I'm wrong...

tenjos

Jul 29, 2005
SE Tn, Northern Mi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been to several banks in the area saturday. The tellers all laughed when i asked my usual any half dollars loose or rolled? (There are been several crh working this area as I get lots of searched rolls with lines and marks checked on them.) but this time the tellers said that all kinds of new faces have showed up asking for halves and dimes and had bought out all they had at every bank i checked. Time to buy some boxes i guess and to keep checking some key banks for rolled and loose. I do believe that most will give up the "new crh hobby" after a few tries. the way I see it maybe the volume will get some of the dusty boxes of the pallets and into the banks. I do think that it might get tougher at some of the banks with new fees and such. time will tell. but i begrudge no person for a new hobby or anyone for spredding the word about crh. good luck to all!!

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I had not known about this somewhat "hidden" world of CRHing until I joined this forum, being mostly a detectorist. Exploring this site one day, I came across this forum, read everyone's posts, and went to the banks the next day.
Ever notice the amount of guests reading here? I know quite a few people don't want the whole planet to discover this hobby, but it's kinda hard to keep it quiet with everyone posting their finds with pics here and on other sites.

Even when I go to out of town banks, even in the smaller towns, I either get "They've been searched already," or "The tellers save the silver" when I ask for halves.

That's why I have to have my bank order bags or boxes for me, if I hope to score silver anymore, except on rare occasions. And it has dried up a whole lot since I started earlier this year, I've noticed more and more marked halves. Five different marks in the last bag I searched.

Dec 18, 2007

Howdy All,
I am new to CRHing, and new to this site and forum, but I just had to throw my two cents in (no wheaties though). I just don't see what all the hub bub is about. I like to go treasure hunting (or junking as my sons and I call it), but when there's a bunch of snow on top of frozen ground, it just isn't feasible. The perfect alternative is CRHing. It doesn't really cost anything, and its fun, and there will always be a potential profit. Always. People will always break open proof sets or use their old grandads coin collection, or whatever when they need some quick spending money. So, I will keep on checking those rolls. I don't expect to hit the "motherlode" and become rich overnight, but I do know that any keeper I find is just that much more than I had before. Thanks to all for the great topics and opinions.
Best,
Colorado Bob

Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's M6, Nokta Legend, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jrf30 said:
And you know what? GOOD FOR YOU. :) I’m GLAD you found silver in all four boxes. Isn’t this a GREAT hobby? :) Yep, it is. Which is why I SHARED it with readers of a magazine. Because I think this is good news, and good news should be shared.

jrf30, I see you have a DFX. Now let's suppose you take your DFX out onto some public ground and start finding silver coins - LOTS of silver coins. Then let's suppose you discover that this ground covers hundreds of acres. Occasionally while you're out there snatching up some of this silver you see other detectorists out there. You may even chat with them and compare some finds with them. You're not too worried that they are out there since there seems to be plenty of silver to go around even though you know that there is, ultimately, a finite amount.

Question is: IF that was the case, would you even then feel compelled to SHARE it with readers of a magazine??? I doubt it. Because you'd realize that suddenly your little "honey hole" detecting spot would soon be covered by hundreds, maybe even thousands or tens of thousands of hobbyists all wanting in on this "good news". Parking might become a problem. All the activity would undoubtedly catch the eye of business and government entities who would then seek to restrict your access to this ground. Quite possibly, some major corporations would begin mining operations to cash in on this bonanza. All of this would make it harder for YOU to get some of a limited resource. First, you would find that, instead of finding hundreds of silver coins per day, you'd only find a scattered few. And then, one day, and likely many days after that, you would find NONE. You could've spent many happy years finding silver on just about every outing, but then because you chose to "share the good news" through a national magazine, those years of good hunting on the horizon are now memories of the past.

I could understand your sharing your "good news" with friends and relatives, maybe even members of your detecting club, but putting it out there for possibly hundreds or thousands or possibly (thanks to the internet) millions to read is going to make it just that much harder for everyone involved.

Just so you know, I've personally "paid" for many of my detecting trips with silver gained from the banks in small towns that I've passed through. I've curried favor with many tellers in the local area because I've helped them "get rid of those blasted half dollars". But I'm pretty sure those days will be gone now.

Please understand, I'm not angry as much as I am disappointed. It was a fun ride and I had a great time. I figured that sooner or later the word would get out on a grand scale, but I was rather hoping it would be later, even much, much later. I had envisioned building a nice little nest egg out of my CRHing exploits.

But I will say this of your lofty goal of "sharing the good news" with the readers of the magazine. I'm guessing that your real goal was selling an article to a magazine. No more. No less. I doubt that you considered the effects this would have on those that you garnered your information from. I doubt that you considered that this resource, being limited, would become even more limited simply due to the number of people trying to drink from the same well.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you truly are that altruistic. I've heard of people like that, but can't remember having met any.

Maybe you're the first.

But I doubt it.

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
I have followed this thread for awhile now. Now the article on WET. I logged back on to check it out.

I see there is no need to try, you great CRHunters have gotten it all. I won't waste my time. ::)

DM

OP
OP
Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Digginman said:
I have followed this thread for awhile now. Now the article on WET. I logged back on to check it out.

I see there is no need to try, you great CRHunters have gotten it all. I won't waste my time. ::)

DM
That's right. Time to quit. There is no silver left.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Phillip_in_NM said:
Please understand, I'm not angry as much as I am disappointed. It was a fun ride and I had a great time. I figured that sooner or later the word would get out on a grand scale, but I was rather hoping it would be later, even much, much later. I had envisioned building a nice little nest egg out of my CRHing exploits.

To me that sounds like greed speaking. YOU want YOUR nest egg from this wonderful hobby, but you don't want others to know about it. YOU want it all, and you don't want others to benefit from it. Like it is your own hard work that discovered CRH and no one lese has rights to it. That smacks of greed, plain and simple. And on Christmas no less. Have you heard the story about these three spirits that visit a man named Ebenezer and ... well, nevermind.

<<Maybe you truly are that altruistic. I've heard of people like that, but can't remember having met any.

Maybe you're the first. But I doubt it. >>

I must be the first then. Nice to meet you. My name is John. :-)

PLease don't doubt. It is true that thre are people with a TOTALLY different view on things than you have. Yes, I believe in sharing. Granted, if I found a spot that had coins in the ground that was an acre in size, I would hunt it myself. But, if I found a spot that yielded lots and lots of coins, over 100 acres, like you mentioned, yeah, I'd share it. Because I can't work that much all by myself, and it's good to show others how to find good spots too. So, call me an altruistic type person. Just don't make it sound so dang ... bad! ;-)

As for this hobby, this is like finding a field that is 250,000 acres large, and littered with coins. So big that no one, or ten or even one thousand people CAN work it "all". PLus, there are new coins being planted in this imginary field all the time, as others cash in their old coins. So telling others about this large field will NOT make it disappear tomorrow. Maybe your cherished nest egg will be a little tougher to come by, but that's the whole point of being altruistic. Especially since you don't OWN this imaginary field. It is pulic property. To allow others to share in a cache that is this size, instead of hoarding it all to ourselves as misers is a GOOD thing.

So, I am what I am. Guilty. I"m altruistic. Always have been. Maybe it comes from 21 years working bivocationally as a church planter and pastor, all for free, as I worked for Merrill Lynch and then myself to make ends meet, so that I could give to the people and to the local churches with no pay that whole time. It just felt good to give and not expect to get paid for it. Does that qualify in any way as making me the first one you have met? If so, then again I'm glad to meet you. Oh, and I think that there are others on THIS board that are ALSO altruistic, and helpful to others, and would be glad to meet your acquaintance too.

<<You could've spent many happy years finding silver on just about every outing, but then because you chose to "share the good news" through a national magazine, those years of good hunting on the horizon are now memories of the past. >> No not a thing of the past. Just a thing that was spread out to many people for a few years instead of one person for many years. Being a public hobby., like CRH, I still think it was a good thing to share. I also disagree that the hobby will be overrun due to the article though. Some will join us, but not many. And most will leave the hobby after a few skunk boxes. It just happens that way. So cheer up. I bet if you talk to YOUR banks (Making it real now, and personal. Not just theory) you will find that they have "maybe" one other person that recently started asking them for coins. Between ALl the banks you deal with. And odds are they have NO ONE new asking for halves. It's just not going to get that busy from this article. NOr stay that way.

So, keep working at CRH. Your nest eggg will grow. It may decrease you r total finds a little bit due to this article, but I don't see this affecting you as badly as you think. And if it helps some others to find this great hobby, then I'm smiling at that idea. WIth my silly ultruistic smile. :-}

Merry Christmas (the day God gave us His ultimate gift, and didn't keep the "good news" all to himself. Lucky US! :-) :-) :-)

John

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Hey Jrf, In the true spirit of Christmas, sharing and "altruism", why don't you list the city that you MD and CRH in???? And maybe share with everybody exactly which banks you have the most success at, or which fields or parks you tend to find most of your MDing finds. I would imagine that you are not quite THAT "altruistic", are you??? Gpurs....

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
GPURS said:
Hey Jrf, In the true spirit of Christmas, sharing and "altruism", why don't you list the city that you MD and CRH in???? And maybe share with everybody exactly which banks you have the most success at, or which fields or parks you tend to find most of your MDing finds. I would imagine that you are not quite THAT "altruistic", are you??? Gpurs....

I am in PHoenix. I get coins from numerous banks, but seeem to have better success with Wachovia than Wells Fargo.

:-)

As for my best MD spots, I HAVE written though about how to detect at old schools (Sharing the information) and do better, how to FIND old places others normally miss, how to work with insurance companies and have ONGOING income from your detector (My best piece of advise, in my opinion, because I know someone that made $12,000 in 2006 doing it based on MY article), and how to work the ski slopes of Colorado (ohhh. If I have to pick a spot, that would be it. As my best that you asked about) and get more goodies.

So I guess I already HAVE given my MD tips out TOO. AND my best spots. I've told people HOW AND WHEN to work the slopes to get the best results, how to find different hidden sites, and how to work those sites better when you find them.

What more do you want? :-)

(Is it that hard to accept that someone would share how to do something with others so that they too could have success? I have recieved MUCH more income from insurance companies than from CRH. Yet I shared that with NO problem. Because our universe is so LARGE. There IS enough to share.)

Merry Christmas.

John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions