Q. When is an investment of $589.50 of...............

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
..............halves you've already looked at, just to buy a bank's coin counter bag because they won't sell you a partial bag, a good trade-off ?

A. When it yields an insanely 290 (of just) half dollar keepers !

There was supposedly $410.50 already in there, so I gambled and plucked down the necessary $589.50 to fill it; knowing I'd be re-looking at over half the bag. But it was obviously worth it.

The bag yielded:

23 Walkers

34p (that I didn't have yet !)
41dx2
42px5
42s - large mintmark (that I didn't have yet !)
43px4
43d
43s - large mintmark
44px3
44d
45d
45s
46p (that I didn't have yet !)
47p (that I didn't have yet !)

44 Franklins

50dx2
51sx2
52px4
52dx3
53dx4
54dx2
57d
59dx3
60p
60dx3
61dx5
62px2
62dx5
63p
63dx6

40 90% JFKs

64px13
64dx27

182 40% JFKs

65x18
66x19
67x77
68dx62
69dx16

.......also gave up an '07p US half, US bicentennial quarter, twelve pre-83 US cents, an Adams dollar coin.

Additionally, for whatever reason, with all the other non-halves in the bag it actually held $1035.41; not the $1000 I paid for it !

Lastly, if my good karma wasn't already maxed out, when I returned the rejects, the coin counter (a different coin counter) reject bucket gave me 2 common Ikes and an Australian 2001 centennial half dollar.

Clearly the best single day I've had in thirteen months of CRHing. In fact, to put things in perspective, yesterday's one day number of silver halves was better than nine full month totals from last year. Yeah, I'm still riding the high.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thurmownator

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
thurmownator said:
Thanks for the kind words guys. It certainly was a rush that's lasted all weekend.

Thanks to those who suggested I go back for the other bags. I hadn't thought about that, and it makes good sense. I picked up two bags of quarters, a bag of nickels and three bags of cents on Saturday morning. And, I'm picking up the bag of dimes tomorrow.

While I haven't got to the bags of cents yet, the two bags of quarters didn't offer any silver, though I picked out a bicentennial quarter, but I did make a dent in state quarters (just one from each mint/each state) I had been lagging.

Thanks again.

Well, picked up the dimes today.........and went through them. Four Panamanian 10 centesimo coins (73, 96, 01x2)..........and a '36s Merc ! (that I didn't have yet)

Still have the three bags of cents to go through yet..........and will likely just cull out any wheats. Stay tuned.

Dimes are tough though, especially when you buy a bag from the coin counter. Just too small.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
you "rolled" that bank ;) like taking candy from a baby

cmhoose

May 2, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Immy said:
cmhoose said:
Immy,

Can you post a pic of what one looks like after the Nic-a-Date application. I have heard about it on here for some time, yet I have never seen what it looks like after app.

Thanks
Hoose

Sure!

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/uploaded/BadThad/20079517434_acidRestore.jpg

Can you make out the date?

1918! Nice. Thanks Immy. You just sold me on the Nic-a-Date. It doesn't seem to damage the surface too much. I have over two rolls of dateless buffs in the safe that I have always wondered about. Should help me fill some holes in the folder until I can get some better quality coins.

Thanks again.
HH

Hoose

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great! Have a blast filling those holes.

I should add that whoever did that coin used about 3x the amount necessary. I use only a drop that's big enough to cover the date.

OP
OP
thurmownator

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
thurmownator said:
thurmownator said:
Thanks for the kind words guys. It certainly was a rush that's lasted all weekend.

Thanks to those who suggested I go back for the other bags. I hadn't thought about that, and it makes good sense. I picked up two bags of quarters, a bag of nickels and three bags of cents on Saturday morning. And, I'm picking up the bag of dimes tomorrow.

While I haven't got to the bags of cents yet, the two bags of quarters didn't offer any silver, though I picked out a bicentennial quarter, but I did make a dent in state quarters (just one from each mint/each state) I had been lagging.

Thanks again.

Well, picked up the dimes today.........and went through them. Four Panamanian 10 centesimo coins (73, 96, 01x2)..........and a '36s Merc ! (that I didn't have yet)

Still have the three bags of cents to go through yet..........and will likely just cull out any wheats. Stay tuned.

Dimes are tough though, especially when you buy a bag from the coin counter. Just too small.

Finally got to the three one cent bags I had picked up from the coin counter after Friday's awesome halves success. Boy, I'm glad I was only culling for wheats.....and non-Lincolns. My hats off to you guys who separate the coppers from the Zincolns.........without using a Ryedale. That's just not for me at all. I'll keep any pre-83 I get in change, but those three full cent bags, which hold 5000 coins a piece, were easily 40% pre-83. Just too much work.

What I did find wasn't earth shattering, but it is more keepers that I had when I woke up this morning:

Bag # 1 (of US cents): 42d, 44p, 46d, 53d, 55d, 56d, 58d........a US dime; and from Canada: a '74 & '88.
Bag # 2: 41d, 44d, 48d, 48s, 51d, 52d, 53d, 58d......and from Canada: a '79
Bag # 3: 39p, 48d, 51d, 56d, 57d..........and another US dime.

Picking up two boxes of halves this afternoon..........where I'm back in my element.

Just putting in my two cents. 8)

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Thurm...that is alot of pennies to go through by hand.....hats off to you buddy......eyes hurt??? Congrats on the Wheats's and 79 Canadians from one bag....phew!!

The 36-S Merc is a sweet find...glad it is one you didn't have....that makes it all the sweeter.

Nice job on that overall bank trip.....you did well on that stop!!

Keep plugging dude........

OP
OP
thurmownator

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
lejeuene said:
Wow Thurm...that is alot of pennies to go through by hand.....hats off to you buddy......eyes hurt??? Congrats on the Wheats's and 79 Canadians from one bag....phew!!

The 36-S Merc is a sweet find...glad it is one you didn't have....that makes it all the sweeter.

Nice job on that overall bank trip.....you did well on that stop!!

Keep plugging dude........

Thanks for the kind words LJ.

I didn't mean to mis-lead on the Canadian cents found, in fact I've already edited it. That's a (single) 1979 Canadian cent I found in Bag #2....to go along with (again single) 1974 & 1988 Canadian cents I found in Bag #1. Sorry for the confusion.

OP
OP
thurmownator

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
thurmownator said:

Finally got to the three one cent bags I had picked up from the coin counter after Friday's awesome halves success. Boy, I'm glad I was only culling for wheats.....and non-Lincolns. My hats off to you guys who separate the coppers from the Zincolns.........without using a Ryedale. That's just not for me at all. I'll keep any pre-83 I get in change, but those three full cent bags, which hold 5000 coins a piece, were easily 40% pre-83. Just too much work.

What I did find wasn't earth shattering, but it is more keepers that I had when I woke up this morning:

Bag # 1 (of US cents): 42d, 44p, 46d, 53d, 55d, 56d, 58d........a US dime; and from Canada: a '74 & '88.
Bag # 2: 41d, 44d, 48d, 48s, 51d, 52d, 53d, 58d......and from Canada: a '79
Bag # 3: 39p, 48d, 51d, 56d, 57d..........and another US dime.

Picking up two boxes of halves this afternoon..........where I'm back in my element.

Just putting in my two cents. 8)
[/quote]

This bank haul from Friday is still paying dividends. I dropped off the (remainder of) the three cent bags to one of my dump banks and the teller gave me three Canadian quarters ('93, '00 - Celebration type & '06-P).

Also stopped at a few banks en-route. Picked up a 69d half from one.....and a bag ($225) of loose halves from another. (Took a peek inside and saw at least two keepers....stay tuned. 8) )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions