Q. When is an investment of $589.50 of...............

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
..............halves you've already looked at, just to buy a bank's coin counter bag because they won't sell you a partial bag, a good trade-off ?

A. When it yields an insanely 290 (of just) half dollar keepers !

There was supposedly $410.50 already in there, so I gambled and plucked down the necessary $589.50 to fill it; knowing I'd be re-looking at over half the bag. But it was obviously worth it.

The bag yielded:

23 Walkers

34p (that I didn't have yet !)
41dx2
42px5
42s - large mintmark (that I didn't have yet !)
43px4
43d
43s - large mintmark
44px3
44d
45d
45s
46p (that I didn't have yet !)
47p (that I didn't have yet !)

44 Franklins

50dx2
51sx2
52px4
52dx3
53dx4
54dx2
57d
59dx3
60p
60dx3
61dx5
62px2
62dx5
63p
63dx6

40 90% JFKs

64px13
64dx27

182 40% JFKs

65x18
66x19
67x77
68dx62
69dx16

.......also gave up an '07p US half, US bicentennial quarter, twelve pre-83 US cents, an Adams dollar coin.

Additionally, for whatever reason, with all the other non-halves in the bag it actually held $1035.41; not the $1000 I paid for it !

Lastly, if my good karma wasn't already maxed out, when I returned the rejects, the coin counter (a different coin counter) reject bucket gave me 2 common Ikes and an Australian 2001 centennial half dollar.

Clearly the best single day I've had in thirteen months of CRHing. In fact, to put things in perspective, yesterday's one day number of silver halves was better than nine full month totals from last year. Yeah, I'm still riding the high.

Upvote 0

cmhoose

May 2, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Amazing! Someone cashed in a collection. You should keep going back and buying bags from that machine. Sounds like if you don't get silver you could still score free money with the machine errors. ;D

Hoose

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grand Slam Thurm!!!!! What a score buddy.....kudos!! The gamble obviously paid off.......in big way. Not really a gamble because you can't lose in this hobby....I'll rephrase that and say the tactic paid off.

Nicely done!! Someone turned in a collection. You might want to go buy the quarter bag, dime bag, nickel & even the penny bag. You never know until you try.

What a way to start the year......Congrats Mike. I guess that roller coaster is on the way up????.....ha!

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o WOW! :o Man o man what a great day you had!

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
lejeuene said:
The gamble obviously paid off.......in big way. Not really a gamble because you can't lose in this hobby....I'll rephrase that and say the tactic paid off.
Great score Thurm. Like LJ says, it's the best "slot machine" in the world. Load it up, pull the handle, get a big payoff and your original money back. It's a win-win situation.
I picked up a dream bag last year. It was a machine that uses clear plastic $500 bags. they pulled it out and all I could see was silver. No Ben's or Walker's BUT:
431 - 40%ers and 8 -90's. Here is a picture for all you non-gamblers.........

Like my brother likes to say, Take a chance......Columbus did.......

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01.jpg
    ScreenHunter_01.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 671

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wowzers, now that is nice. Man I wish I lived near a town that even had an accessible coin counter. :-[

Happy Hunting,

Scott (Mich)

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Best score I've heard of in a while!

Great thinking, and great results. Good job!

And i agree with the others. Go get the nickells, dimes and quarters. Let us know if that same collection ended up there too, and how much more silver you get!!

:-)

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Astounding! :o Big congrats!

Did you get tipped off as you added your $589.50? Could you hear all that silver in there?

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Awesome score, Thurm!
Someone turned in coins for Christmas money!

You deserved a big hit after all the skunks last year.

Congrats!!! :D

Cat J

Dec 17, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Whites Sufe Master PI Pro
Congrats to you. Wish I could find a bag like that then my husband would stop telling me I was wasting my time. LOL

Proud of you man

Cat

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those are great moments arnt they, I love it when I find a bank willing to do that.
yeah ya gotta go though your own junk again but who cares when you get results like that!
I have only gotten a few of those but every time I did get that chance I am so glad I did.
Nice on the extra cash too, thats a very profitable day, now you just need to find a dump bank that has some coins stuck in the till that get knocked lose by all that to give ya some more.
How long did they say it had been filling up for? when I get those sometimes they have been sitting half full like that for months and even years.

YA also never know when a bag like that is going to the fed. thats why its a good Idea to circulate and spend halves as hopefully they get dumped at some bank that is just on the brink of sending them in when they have a policy to not sell the bag....fill there bag I say.

Congrats on the score!

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! I fill up bags like whenever I get the chance and there is enough in there to bother. Part of my logic is how soon afterward I am likely to return to that bank as well as how much is needed to fill the bag. Usually guideline for me is at approx half full.

I am still waiting on my first bag/box/whatever like that with numerous Walkers and Franklins. Though I did have one with 90% and 40% Kennedys early last year.

Also, I was updating the tracking list, is your 1942-S a small S or a large S? The large S will be like the 1943.

OP
OP
thurmownator

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the kind words guys. It certainly was a rush that's lasted all weekend.

Thanks to those who suggested I go back for the other bags. I hadn't thought about that, and it makes good sense. I picked up two bags of quarters, a bag of nickels and three bags of cents on Saturday morning. And, I'm picking up the bag of dimes tomorrow.

While I haven't got to the bags of cents yet, the two bags of quarters didn't offer any silver, though I picked out a bicentennial quarter, but I did make a dent in state quarters (just one from each mint/each state) I had been lagging.

The nickels were pretty decent:

undated Buffalo
39px3
40px2
40dx2
41px2
41d
41s (small mintmark)
42p (silver !)
45s (silver that I didn't have yet !)
46p
46d
48px2
48d
49d
52p
53px3
53s
54px3
54dx3
54s
57d
58p (!)
59p
59d
.............and a British '82 20 pence coin

Speaking of undated Buffaloes, what are your experiences or the pros and cons of Nic-A-Date ? I never plan on selling any Buffs I might use it on, and just want to find out the dates; so I can fill in some spots in my coin folder.

Thanks again.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't endorse Nic-a-Date enough. It's cheap, works like a charm and since you only need a drop at a time, it lasts forever. Since I bought my 1¼ oz. bottle nine years ago I've used it on probably 80 or so coins and the bottle is still 90% full. There's nothing cooler than seeing the long-gone date appear right before your eyes.

The only con is of course the surface is premanently marred, but since you're not thinking of resale it's no big deal. It does leave a pale circular area where the drop was applied.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions