Silver Bicentennial Ikes - Look Like 90% To Me...

wallyblackburn

May 11, 2007
While looking for halves, the nice teller tired (for the 2nd time) to sell me the Ikes in her drawer. But, this time she pulled them out and I spotted the silver right away! Naturally, I took them.

I've never seen the silver 40% Ikes before, but these really look like 90%ers to me. No line on the edge. Did they make 40% Ikes differently than they did 40% halves?

Thanks,
Wally

Upvote 0

1960texan

Dec 6, 2007
Texas
Wally,

According to the Whitman Red Book, the collector's coins (s mint mark) were 40% silver, everything else was clad.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
wallyblackburn said:
While looking for halves, the nice teller tired (for the 2nd time) to sell me the Ikes in her drawer. But, this time she pulled them out and I spotted the silver right away! Naturally, I took them.

I've never seen the silver 40% Ikes before, but these really look like 90%ers to me. No line on the edge. Did they make 40% Ikes differently than they did 40% halves?

Thanks,
Wally

Only the "S" mint marked '71, '72, '73, '74 & '76 Ikes are 40%ers; and not even all....as some are CuNi.

Cat J

Dec 17, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Whites Sufe Master PI Pro
According to the Red Book they accidently cast some of the bicentennial, 74 and some 77 in silver and they are not S mint mark. You have to weigh them. Clad weighs out at 23 gm and silver at 24.

Thanks
Cat

OP
OP
W

wallyblackburn

May 11, 2007
These do not have an S mint mark!

Also, they are all quite "circulated". I am starting to think that somebody might have silver-plated 4 circulated Bicentennial Ikes. The reeded edges look kind of "filled in" as if they are worn or the plating filled the tiny indentations.

I will get some pics. If there really were silver Bicentennials mistakenly struck, do they have any value beyond the silver content?

Thanks,
Wally

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread