86.2 KB · Views: 378
Upvote 0

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Re: Proof sets for 82 & 83

Cat,

There were 3,857,479 1982 S Proof sets made.
There were 3,138,765 1983 S Proof sets made.

A souvenier set is a different item
In 1983 they also made a prestige proof set that included the commemorative Olympic Dollar.

Email me and I will give you as much information as I have .
I will also be glad to help you find books that will give you the right info as well.

Thom
Old Dog

OP
OP
Cat J

Cat J

Dec 17, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Whites Sufe Master PI Pro

Sorry I did not mean proof sets I meant mint sets. Someone posted he was keeping all 82 and 83 to make up mint sets and would make more money by saving them than any of the post 01 coins. But they did make mint sets but called them Souviner sets. Right

Thanks
Cat

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Sorry Cat,
You are correct about the souvenir sets

Every so often someone at the mint does something to try and discourage collectors.
A good example was the 1965 to 67 fiasco ...
no proof sets
no mint marks

So now they are really making collectors mad with the mint sets by making them different than the coins in circulation.
this adds two coins per mintage to a year's set and if you are using an album you are needing extra pages to cover the extra two coins per year in every book. Just because there are no holes for them otherwise.

OK sorry end of short rant.
my apologies.
Thom
OD

chevrolet454ss

Greenie
Jan 4, 2008

Cat,

I am guy saving all 1982 or 1983 half dollar coins I found in boxs that au or bu shape. You are correct about onley buying those 83 or 82 coins in those sets at gift shop at denver mint or philly mint. The us mint never sold mint sets that year. They are rare I paid 125 dollars for those in past one of each on them for my collection. They expensive compared to an 1984 mint set at 6 bucks or 1981 mint for 12 bucks or so.

On Bu rolls of 82 or 83 coins very few peaple saved them back in those days when you buy them at bank in 1983 or 1982. One reason why they worth so much money is they are rare . Most set builders buy mint sets to take apart to fill there books like say needed all bu coins in books. But those years you cant do it unless you want to buy those expensive sets from denver or philly gifht shop or bu rolls.

On those 1983 thru 82 rolls of half dollar its easy to find bu/ au coins in fedboxs. My 10 boxes got me one roll of 1982 denver , 12 82 philly coins that bu shape. I did get 60 bucks face worth of 83 coins to make rolls.

I have seen single au/ bu 1982 p and d single half dollars sell for maybe 10 bucks per set to set builders.

Look at completed sales on ebay under rolls for 82 or 83 years and 82 and 83 coins all coins. You will see they are geting expensive . I cant find copy of greysheat to give an break down on what those are worth on 82 or 83 bu rolls. If you check coin dealers on net you will see what I talking about.

I am learning its not worth trouble to make 71 thru 2001 half bu rolls to sell on ebay its not worth it. Onley the 82 or 83 clad rolls are worth anything. Half dollars are easy find but quarters or nickels, dimes are trashed coins those fedboxs for what I have seen. Since you search half dollar boxs. I would go head and start saving all bu 82 or 83 half dollars you can out there and make rolls out them.

Sell them later on ebay and start biding at .99 cents or put an buy it know on half dollars for 65 to 99 on them. Take real good photes of those rolls where they can see them coins.

Chevrolet454ss

OP
OP
Cat J

Cat J

Dec 17, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Whites Sufe Master PI Pro

Thanks I will start doing that.

Cat