(Canadian penny)Shoulder fold or no shoulder fold?

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark

Attachments

• scan.jpg
    scan.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 8,895
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 21,954
Upvote 0

ferrabi

Jan 19, 2008
sorry but yours is the shoulder fold veriety and therefor common

the easiest way to tell the difference is to look at the word DEI and if the 'I' is flaird at the ends then its the no shoulder fold, if the 'I' is straight then its the shoulder fold.
Your 'I' seems to be pointing at the denticle right above it, which is another indication that its the shoulder fold.

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Without having to go do some research, maybe you could give me a few lines describing this "shoulder fold" deal. What should I look for and what may be the value of one? Thanks.. Gpurs..

OP
OP
patpall22

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
GPURS said:
Without having to go do some research, maybe you could give me a few lines describing this "shoulder fold" deal. What should I look for and what may be the value of one? Thanks.. Gpurs..

GPURS,

From what I found while trying to ID my coin is that in 1953 (when they changed dyes) the Canadian government thought that the coin showed too much skin so I guess they covered her up a bit. I did have trouble finding any pictures of the coin without a shoulder fold.

The difference in price is,

1955 Shoulder fold VF 0.10 dollars
1955 no shoulder fold VF 120.0 dollars

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
It's actually quite easy to determine them IMO. Compare the letters DEI. In the NO shoulder fold variety, the I is flared at the ends and points IN BETWEEN the dots (denticles) around the edge of the coin's design. By 'flared' I mean the I has little flares at the ends of it, just like the capital I that I just typed. However on the SHOULDER FOLD variety, the I has no flares, it is more of a thick straight line, and it points DIRECTLY at a denticle. I hope this may help!

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Thanks Patpall and DrD for the info. Quite a difference in price. Kinda makes it worth looking for. Good luck to you guys in finding one! I'm heading to my box of Canadien cents right now to see if I have any 55's! Thanks again, and HH. Gpurs..

ferrabi

Jan 19, 2008
right on.

you could try looking for the nickels as well, but it only applies for the year 1953 and they are worth even more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions