Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone ever found a counterfeit Kennedy ? I was checking my last roll today & did a quick check of the coins edges. One definitely looked silver. No copper edge at all. I pulled it out of the roll to find a weird looking 71 Kennedy with a buffed looking sheen. I mean shiny !! The coin does not have a rim, but the ridges are on the edge. I dont know what kind of metal its made of, but I've never seen anything like it. I will take it to my local coin shop, but was wondering if any of you have an idea as I may not get to the coin shop for awhile. The rest of my haul for the 2 boxes were : 1 - 1963 Franklin, & 7- 40 % Kennedys. Thanks, Ron

Upvote 0

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran across something like that. I thought it was the find of a lifetime :P ..... it's probably electroplated with chrome.

XX

Jan 11, 2008
OP, you have to upload a pic. There are so many Kennedy Halves out there that have been modified, it's hard to say which it is without a picture.

On a side note, I did get stuck with a counterfeit 1964 Kennedy Half from a CWI Roll. It was cast and definitely NOT silver.

OP
OP
Trezurehunter

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your replies. I never thought of it being chrome plated. Ron

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Keep in mind there were some 1971 and 1977 Kennedy's that were made of 40% silver by mistake.

If it is chrome plated that is one thing, but if it looks like it is silver, weigh it to find out if is 40%.

TT

Jan 15, 2008
Milky Way
I have many chrome plated half dollars...including Walkers and Kennedys. A picture would be very helpful. Also, some coin counters will reject the chrome plated coins.

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
TonyT said:
I have many chrome plated half dollars...including Walkers and Kennedys. A picture would be very helpful. Also, some coin counters will reject the chrome plated coins.
I've got some to. You find some wierd stuff in those rolls.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread