Just when I thought the glory days were over..............

Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's M6, Nokta Legend, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to one of the local banks where I periodically buy all they have and they had $101 worth of halves waiting for me - 10 rolls and 2 loose. I wasn't really expecting much since I hadn't done real well here before. Got to the car and started checking them out. Glad I was sitting down, because 7 rolls were solid silver!!!!!

Wound up with 121 40% and 21 1964's. Both the loose halves were 40%. I wonder how many they had already given away?

Got me excited about the hobby/pastime/ADDICTION again.

Upvote 0

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Hey Phil, Good for you, but are you sure the missus isn't going around planting rolls for you to buy back haha. HH Mark

silverfinder

Dec 31, 2006
You've got to wonder just where these silver halves come from - it's a complete mystery to me. Who drops them off at banks? Where were they stored? It's positively eerie. Yesterday, I called a local bank and learned there was $280 in rolled halves in their possession. I went there and discovered all the coins were hand-rolled. One roll was labelled "1969" and another was labelled "1969-71." The first roll indeed consisted entirely of 1969s, and eighteen of the coins in the second roll were also 1969s. The rest of the rolls also had a significant sprinkling of silver clad halves. Altogether, there were fifty five silver clad halves in the rolls, a better result than what I've been getting on average from Fed boxes over the past few months. I also forgot to mention that the two rolls dated 1969 were, for all intents and purposes, uncirculated, most of them highly lustrous. Again - where the bejeezus do these coins come from? I remember halves circulating widely until about 1964, when they virtually disappeared overnight. Folks eagerly grabbed up the new Kennedy halves and hoarded them, but that was in 1964. Halves quickly disappeared from circulation after that, even while silver coins of smaller denomination continued to circulate widely until about 1970. It's really, really strange to find forty year old silver in such quantities, hand-rolled and never circulated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions