Found me another Barber in the most unexpected place

XX

Jan 11, 2008
Well, this week I stopped by a bank I had never gone to asking for the usual $2's, IKE's, and Halves. They said they had 6 canvas bags full. At first I was pretty excited and bought the bags, but after going through the first couple bags I realized I had gotten somebody's dump, further evidenced by the fact that almost every bicentennial half had a slash across it (of course in hindsight, 6 bags in one branch should have been a huge clue). I have no clue how someone finds the time to mark that many coins.

Well, as JewelDave always says, you can dump anywhere you want, but you can't stop others from dumping there too.

True to his word, I found over $200 face in 40% silver in the fourth bag, plus this beautiful Barber Half. This is the second best Barber that I've found and it's now the oldest US coin that I've found (the oldest coin I've found is an 1889 British Penny).

Something else that also caught my interest was that the address that that was stamped on the tags on the bags. The address stamped on the tag is no where near the branch where I picked these bags up at.

Attachments

• 1898S Barber.jpg
    1898S Barber.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 412
  • Tags.jpg
    Tags.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 392
Upvote 0

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interesting, maybe the rout does not come through there often, or maybe it was a smaller bank that is not on a fed rout and uses employees to deliver, I have found a few places that do that.
Awesome score though, Wish I could find one like it. its been a while.

I keep dreaming that someday I will walk into a place and find a dump of a monex bag full of 90s. I wish.

Congrats on getting the dumps and the treasure that comes with them :)

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
jewelerdave said:
I keep dreaming that someday I will walk into a place and find a dump of a monex bag full of 90s. I wish.

I've heard stories about that, from back in the 90s when silver was only melting for like 3x face or whatever it was, and some dealers weren't even buying it since they couldn't really make that much off it. I guess if you got turned down by a coin dealer you took it to the bank, right? Not really much of a chance of that happening nowadays with silver approaching $20/oz.

50centman

Feb 25, 2008
Very rare that these bags weren't shipped. It's all about being in the right place at the right time. It all comes from where you least expect it. What a feeling to open that bag and see all those dull white coins in there!! Congratulations!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread