Throwing in the towel

hit80s

Dec 31, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace 250
oh well more halves for the rest of us ,,,,,,,,,,,right ?

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
hit80s said:
oh well more halves for the rest of us ,,,,,,,,,,,right ?
Goodbye, more for us.............woo hoo......I think all the "weekend warriors" who thought it was easy money will drop like flies :stop:

idothisforfun

Mar 14, 2007
Ohio
I agree, I am not going to say how many boxes I do a week now, as it is more, I had a hole bank order skunks, Talk about a lot of lifting and moving for nothing.

Good luck finding a new hobby

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
For me there is a point when it will just be down right dumb to coin roll hunt. When it cost me more for gas then I find in silver.... Im done. To tell you the truth... some of you guys who are going on your 26th skunk box or whatever amount it is...... I dont know how you do it. Think of all your time and gas wasted and how much silver you could buy using that gas money and the time working a part time job even making $7 an hour..... I think you would be buying alot more silver then you think. I bet you could figure an hour and a half per box at least plus gas. I do estimating at work and things take more time then you think when you really think about it and wright it down on paper. You have to drive to the bank pick them up take them home (which I am assuming most of you do) look through them all get rid of the trash and then go to the bank and cash them in. Even if you say I pick them up on the way or look through them on the way to the dump bank or whatever. I would like to see someone time this with a stop watch. as soon as you turn the wheel from your normal path to go get some coins start the watch. Leave it running while you are in the bank, while you pull out, and untill you get back on your normal path. Add up the time looking through them.... and the time cleaning up and then cashing in. Dont get me wrong I enjoy CRHing but I think I would have to take some time off.

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
bigtime400 said:
Think of all your time and gas wasted and how much silver you could buy using that gas money and the time working a part time job even making $7 an hour..... I think you would be buying alot more silver then you think.
I'm doing it as a hobby so the time isn't a factor. Gas, I get mine free from the company I work for. Now if a person is in it cause they need the money, that's when you have to figure in time and $$.

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i stopped for a year(didn't quit)cause 25 or so boxes got pretty discouraging,but i just started again(so far boxes and 310 in rolls....skunked).it ain't easy,silver dosen't fall out of the box for me but its kinda like saying i haven't dug anything cool with my md so i'm stopping.i don't go much out of my way for boxes i've got about 10-15 harris banks within a 20 mile radius,i'm determined to get some silver out of the boxes now cause its personal.there was a time when i stopped i couldn't even look at the coin roll section cause i made me sick to see what everybody else was getting.just stop for a while,regroup and give it some more thought

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
awhitster said:
I'm doing it as a hobby so the time isn't a factor. Gas, I get mine free from the company I work for. Now if a person is in it cause they need the money, that's when you have to figure in time and $$.

You get gas for free? Damn I want a job there... "hey boss! give me the gas card I have to go get some coin rolls to look though and cash in at your expense! see ya later sucker!"

I dont agree because if you are just doing it to find silver or errors you can find alot of silver and errors at a coin shop or at shows or the internet.... all kinds of treasures to find. The reason people like to CRH is because they can get the silver for 5, 10, 25, or 50 cents a pop. If what you are saying is true... I take it you never said something to the affect of cool! this thing is worth 10 bucks and I only paid a quarter for it. or whatever.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awhitster said:
bigtime400 said:
Think of all your time and gas wasted and how much silver you could buy using that gas money and the time working a part time job even making $7 an hour..... I think you would be buying alot more silver then you think.

I get my gas free too so that is for sure a bonus!! I do it as a hobby to get silver coins at face value. If a person is into this hobby because they need money....in my opinion this would not be the line of work I would choose.

Ghondi

Jun 26, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I haven't been doing this to long, nor often, but when I can I get some rolls or boxes.
Usually Nickels or Cents.
I do this because it gives me something to do in my free time, its helping me build my dream coin collection for face value*#1 thing I'd have to say*, and well...its fun as hell...all about the thrill of the hunt.

If I went through $5000 in cent boxes*500 boxes* and didn't get a single indian head or wheat I can honestly say I would still do it.

Why not?

If your in this for the money....damn your in the wrong game.

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
Ghondi said:
I haven't been doing this to long, nor often, but when I can I get some rolls or boxes.
Usually Nickels or Cents.
I do this because it gives me something to do in my free time, its helping me build my dream coin collection for face value*#1 thing I'd have to say*, and well...its fun as hell...all about the thrill of the hunt.

If I went through $5000 in cent boxes*500 boxes* and didn't get a single indian head or wheat I can honestly say I would still do it.

Why not?

If your in this for the money....damn your in the wrong game.

You see now something there just doesnt make sense. Even if you know you are never ever going to find what you are looking for you are going to keep on doing it? You might as well go metal detecting without a metal detector and just dig some random holes looking for coins. Sure its fun.... but what actually thrills you about the hunt? Its the hope that you find something right? I wasnt saying you had to be in it for the money...... I dont sell for profit... its all for my collection. however I may someday. I think lejeuene said it best. She does it because she can get silver at face value. Thats exactly why we all do it. If you say anything else you are lying to yourself.

I am just saying that if you are going through 26 boxes at a time with no luck at all I think you need to look elsewere and spend your time and resources more wisely.

Ghondi

Jun 26, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Can't put me in the category of finding silver at face.
I mostly search cents.
A bit difficult to find silver cents...

Its not that I know I won't ever find anything, its if I go through a lot, ad get skunked, I have enough patience to stick with it until it gets better...

Okay given, if I find nothing in $5k of cents...I would prolly stop for a while to say th least...so it was an exaggeration...but you ge what I'm saying...

I have nothing better to do...not enough $$ for a detector, started a new job...still have some spare time in the evenings...

Anyways, happy hunting all.

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'm back,it took awhile.sure i do it for the cash,BUTa big part of it for me is just finding it silver.its like detecting,i look at every hole i dig as a christmas present,i never know what i'll find.my saye when i'm looking thru rolls i look like a big kid with a stupid grin on my face and it does thrill me to find stuff in a lake, the ground or in a roll of 1/2s.the let downs are plenty but whan ya find some it more than makes up for it.my weekend is made cause of the little i found.........cloud nine baby :occasion14: cloud nine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions