Halves: stick a fork in Georgia, or the fat lady is singing in Georgia.

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
The last two weeks I have been going around to local towns trying to buy halves. At almost every stop the tellers said that someone was just in last week and bought them all. I did find one place that had $640 in halves. I told the teller I would buy $200 worth as she and the head teller were counting the loose halves, the head teller let it slip that they were dumps from a guy that bought the halves from another bank. Oh snap!!!! Buying boxes doesn't help either. I had bought eight boxes a while back and got skunked.

Upvote 0

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thats how it is here in Colorado too. Since they started cleaning out silver, and since so many new people have come on due to the number of posts on Tnet. Silver is getting very hard to come by. I can still catch deposits made by people in hand rolls and lose tellers stuff and stuff I buy from bags before it goes to the fed. But sadly the glory days of CRH is coming to a fast close...I mean, its going down, and I mean going down faster than some girls I know. Bad news, but just the way it is.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jewelerdave said:
and since so many new people have come on due to the number of posts on Tnet. Silver is getting very hard to come by.

In my observation the number of people on Tnet hasn't varied all that much over the past 1.5 years (since I found this site), just the names have changed.... or at least some of them.

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
ringding said:
I had bought eight boxes a while back and got skunked.
:icon_jokercolor:

Attachments

• license_GA.jpg
    license_GA.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 610
OP
OP
R

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
I've had tellers tell me that they pick out the silver and it sounds like more and more of them know about the 40% halves.

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
ringding said:
I've had tellers tell me that they pick out the silver and it sounds like more and more of them know about the 40% halves.
:icon_jokercolor:

Attachments

• no40s.jpg
    no40s.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 553

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It happened purely by accident (as I don't do much CRH), but, our local laundromats seem to never have problems getting roll after roll of quarters. It amazed me that, out of 2 rolls, I found 7 silvers.

Maybe that would be an untapped source?? Or anyone who runs a business that have change machines?

Just a thought.

B

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero
Hydrantman said:
I just finished my 18th skunk in a row! Chicago aint doin much better!

Got a box from the chicago fed last week...had 6 90% and 6 40% and a crap load of 2005's...Im still hoping to get 1 of those dream boxes like Ive seen on here (Im only @ $3400 searched) damn new guys! :)

fatsmahoney

May 3, 2007
great lakes
Detector(s) used
whites XLT-E- series
and I get called a liar for speaking the truth ask hit 80's what he thinks I was told the silver will be gone in 8 months figure on that one the only thing left is probably in the ground the government is requiring the currency carriers to sort the coins along with the banks thats what happened to the guy on vacation and the bank wouldnt sell him all the halves under the counter they are sorted for a certain someone big brother

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
fatsmahoney said:
the only thing left is probably in the ground
Like this one I pulled out of the ground about an hour ago. :wink:

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_15.jpg
    ScreenHunter_15.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 474
  • ScreenHunter_17.jpg
    ScreenHunter_17.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 481

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ringding said:
The last two weeks I have been going around to local towns trying to buy halves. At almost every stop the tellers said that someone was just in last week and bought them all. I did find one place that had $640 in halves. I told the teller I would buy $200 worth as she and the head teller were counting the loose halves, the head teller let it slip that they were dumps from a guy that bought the halves from another bank. Oh snap!!!! Buying boxes doesn't help either. I had bought eight boxes a while back and got skunked.

I have to agree. But I'm not even getting skunked. I can't get the banks to order at all. They say they will, but somehow forget every week. :'(

Is it any wonder, I've got to much time on my hands ...

Might be why more are hitting the local banks for on hand coins.
Good luck.

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
My last two thousand only got 2 40% and two proofs, so I guess I shouldn't complain. Thats still short though. My next thousand is due at the bank tomorrow, so I will see.

taropatch

Dec 24, 2007
If you think Georgia is bad, the worst place is Texas. People there are giving it up and you can't blame them.

Let's say you find three 40% in a box after a dozen skunk boxes. Is all that time and gas worth that? Only you can answer that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread