maybe the bad economy is scaring up some old coins ?

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
i wuz just thinkn maybe the bad economy will help for roll hunting. a lot of folks are pretty close to broke.would be prime time to raid a coin stash for gas money, etc. watch the folding money too.i just got 10 small denom bills series 1928. this probly been hid in old drawer or book til needed.opinions?

Upvote 0

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hard times do cause people to dig deep.
Other things that will get more coins out is.

Foreclosure, people who have to move will have to pack up, and clean up. time to take in the change!

Expanding population of the ignorant. When a kid finds his dads stash and needs candy or drugs...guess what!

Death. Ok, so I have one friend who owns a mortuary and was pissed off the flu didn't kill that many people this year locally but as the older generations die out. There homes are cleaned out and old coins get deposited by the desperate or ignorant.

Alzheimer's think about it, Some old man or coin collector gets Alzheimer's and thinks its still 1959. WOW I just found some money, I should go spend it, deposit it. And I dont care WHOOPEE!!!!

Accidental, "Crap, where did I put that silver coin I had in my pocket?...change jar? oh crap I took it too the bank!" "sorry sir, all our coin has to stay in the bag and send for re rolling by the fed it just went out yesterday"

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I think so. I believe that when silver coins make their way into rolls/boxes, it is not because knowledgeable coin collectors or gold/silver bugs need cash. If someone knows enough about silver coins to save them, they are going to take them to a coin shop to see what they can get.

But when the kids, grandkids or other family members happen upon a stash of coins that gramps or grandma has had stashed it is another story. They think, "why not take these to the bank/coinstar and get some cash"? I guess it is possible that someone has saved coins for years not knowing they are silver and then they decide to cash them in for money. But when you see great finds that include proofs of consecutive years along with a bunch of silver, no way that was just random "saving coins".

With the economy the way that it is, many people are going through stashes of coins or bills they may have put away years ago. Like, "hey where are those coins grandma gave me twenty years ago, let's cash them in".

Good for us when that happens.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread