Tarrytown NY

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver. Hope the mechanic don't take all your silver for a new engine. That's a bummer! I won't ask the "Did you check the oil and water?" question. ::)

XX

Jan 11, 2008
Maybe you shouldn't have bought a car made out of silver with all those silver finds.

OP
OP
Cat J

Cat J

Dec 17, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Whites Sufe Master PI Pro
Actually this is the third engine I have put in my van. And fourth transmissions. Seems the Oldsmobile had a engineering defect. The cam shaft breaks. I was going to trade it in and my hubby did not want me to because he said we don't want a car payment cause this one was paid off. I had 126,000 miles on it when it blew. Another late night travel adventure. I had gone to Barren Lake for the weekend with one of my dogs and my jet ski. I was on the way home at midnight. I got to Bowling Green KY when it blew. I had the tow truck driver bring me all the way home. A two hour drive.

I put in a Jasper re manufactured engine and a new transmission. About a year later the transmission failed so they replaced it. A few months later I complained that the transmission was not right so they replaced it and then called to tell me they were not happy with the engine. I had complained about the engine also but they would lift the hood and say... gee it sounds fine to me.

I complained about this engine from the first day saying it was loud and had a strange click to it. Again everyone I took it to said... gee it sounds fine to me. I know my car and know that engine was not right but got feed up and just crossed my fingers that it would blow before the warranty ran out. No such luck. So as I went over 180,000 miles which was less than 30,000 on this engine. It decided it would go no more. And yes the oil and water was fine I get my car serviced regularly since I travel so much. I do NOT like to have car problems on the road.

Luckily it blew just an hour away from the Jasper plant so I got a tow to the plant. Of course they remembered me. Sure was cold sleeping in the front seat of the car until they opened. I wish I had brought a long extension cord with me I would have ran it from the building and turned on the dog hair dryer to keep warm. It helped having a dog in my lap to keep me warm. It will be interesting to see what they say the problem is but my bet is on the cam shaft. Because as soon as that goes the oil light comes on because it drives the oil pump. But I guess it could be a bad oil pump.

One of my coins from NY was a 1918 Walker. She is a crusty old lady. LOL

Thanks
Cat

Attachments

• 1918 Walker.jpg
    1918 Walker.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 220

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Cat J said:
Just got home from Tarrytown NY. Got lots of silver. Photos to follow. I arrived home a day late because I blew the engine in my car about two hours from home at three am.

Thanks
Cat

I had a funny image run through my head of you walking along side the highway at 3am with your pups in tow and dragging a bag of silver......... Well it may not have been funny at the time but I'm sure you got a great story in there somewhere....... :icon_jokercolor:

Sorry for your troubles. :( And happy for your finds. :)

Mojo

OP
OP
Cat J

Cat J

Dec 17, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Me walking the hyway... no way. I just pick up my cell phone and dial 911 anytime I need something. They send someone right away. Tow driver loaded my van dogs and all on his truck. He could not believe how heavy my van was. I did not tell him I was drving around with ten grand in half dollars... LOL Then Jasper engine guys loaded them into the rental car for me. Hotel people never knew i had all that money in my room at the dog show but the dog show people I am sure wondered every day where all the wrappers came from in the trash cans out side every morning. I went through the boxes at night. They were CWI boxes. There was no way I was going to leave my van and go to a hotel even though there was one next to Jasper. I just sat in the van and took a nap until they opened. Very safe there with armed gaurd and security camera. Besides by the time we got there it was only a few hours until they opened. I took the tow truck driver to breakfast. He was a nice older man. He was not happy to hear my engine did not last any longer than it did.

Found another Walker today.

Thanks
Cat

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cat.....sorry to hear about the problems with your van....that bites!

How did the dog show go? When you mentioned 'gots lots of silver'.....was that silver platters from dog show winnings or silver coins from searching? I hoping it's both....lol.

Nice job on that 1918 Walker girl. Don't find those everyday.

Congrats!

OP
OP
Cat J

Cat J

Dec 17, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
It was both and I took photos last night I will get them on here today.

I got more great news today. I won't have to spend my silver to get the van fixed. Jasper is going to put in another new engine for free. I hope this one last more than 30,000 miles cause I will put that much on it in no time.

Thanks
Cat

OP
OP
Cat J

Cat J

Dec 17, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nope you can't beat that... all is good.

I have some pictures just like your. We use to live in Alaska and would go Halibut fishing in Homer and Seward.

Cat

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We always go out of Homer. Been up there about 8 times so far. Hope to go again soon. We always heard the 'buts were bigger there as compared to Seward but Seward had bigger lings. I loved Seward just for the scenery. Went on a dinner cruise but never fished there.

OP
OP
Cat J

Cat J

Dec 17, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
We lived there for nine years and we were thinking of going up this summer. Love to fish the Kenai for Reds in July. My daughter moved back there and is working on her masters degree.

Thanks
Cat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions