Gotta love it when tellers call you and gold and silver is in the rejects

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Further more to show how making friends with tellers pays off and when they call you to tell you when anything, "weird or unusual comes in" And when they save it for ya. I did end up having to pay a bit of a "tip" and had to meet them when they got off work to get it so I dont think it counts as a find but you will see why.

13 40%s
1 64
1 57D Ben
a few Canadian cents
a big "crapy mexican coin" ended up being a 1oz silver Libertad 1985 the small crapy mexican coin was just a 50 ceventos 1993
a 25 Amero 1/4 silver
a 1000 Amero 1 ounce gold :)

More stuff to melt! unless someone wants to buy it

Attachments

• amero1.jpg
    amero1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 586
  • amero2.jpg
    amero2.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 590
Upvote 0

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
jewelerdave said:
Further more to show how making friends with tellers pays off and when they call you to tell you when anything, "weird or unusual comes in" And when they save it for ya. I did end up having to pay a bit of a "tip" and had to meet them when they got off work to get it so I dont think it counts as a find but you will see why.

13 40%s
1 64
1 57D Ben
a few Canadian cents
a big "crapy mexican coin" ended up being a 1oz silver Libertad 1985 the small crapy mexican coin was just a 50 ceventos 1993
a 25 Amero 1/4 silver
a 1000 Amero 1 ounce gold :)

More stuff to melt! unless someone wants to buy it

Did the tellers know they were handing over an ounce of pure gold when they gave that to you? If so, they are beyond nice. Your score has to beat anything on this board ever. Since the back of that 1000 Amero clearly says one ounce of fine gold, whoever brought it to the bank had to be mentally ill or really dumb.

Jim

OP
OP
jewelerdave

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah I asked a lot of questions about the depositor. I was just told it was not bank policy to tell of other customers to protect privacy. The teller knew it was gold and wanted to keep it, but needed the cash hence the call to me. This teller has told me about other things and "scores" they have gotten in the past, A gold soverin, American eagles and other mishmashes of old coin. I told em I am always buying when I find tellers that let me know of stories like that.
Unfortunately it was mashed down a bit in the machine or something, damn shame, hence why I am going to have to melt it as who wants a slightly mashed coin.
I am guessing either a kid got into a stash, or a wife found out about a cheating husband. I have run into a few people who have told me of deposits of collections because she "found out"
I have a feeling this teller has more stuff too, they seemed like they were holding back but getting a quick buck for now.

RED THUNDER

Dec 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Unbelievable, just unbelievable.......... Awesome find!

Red

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
jewelerdave said:
And when they save it for ya. I did end up having to pay a bit of a "tip" and had to meet them when they got off work to get it so I don't think it counts as a find but you will see why.

jewelerdave said:
Yeah I asked a lot of questions about the depositor. I was just told it was not bank policy to tell of other customers to protect privacy.
First off that is one heck of a score. Hopefully you didn't pay full retail value. :thumbsup:

About "it was not bank policy to tell of other customers to protect privacy." That is funny she said that. Is it bank policy to sell poached coins out the back door for a profit? :o

HH, S_F :icon_jokercolor:

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
jim4silver said:
Your score has to beat anything on this board ever.
Actually Jim sometime last year someone found a gold coin in a roll. If I remember right, it was in a roll of quarters. A gold coin for 25 cents has to be the record. The only thing better would be to find one MDing, i.e., Free.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ameros are already in circulation??! ???

Bran <><

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
godisnum1 said:
The Ameros are already in circulation??! ???

Bran <><

There are some companies out there selling "Amero" coins as novelties, etc. Some though are made of gold and silver, like JewelerDave's.

Jim

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Silver_Fox said:
jim4silver said:
Actually Jim sometime last year someone found a gold coin in a roll. If I remember right, it was in a roll of quarters. A gold coin for 25 cents has to be the record. The only thing better would be to find one MDing, i.e., Free.

It has to be great to find free gold. The first few times I found those pesky gold plated halves in a roll I thought I found some kind of gold coin (when I first glanced at the rims). I found out they are pretty worthless, so now I just throw them back. However, the other day I found a bicentenial gold plated half that was in great shape, so I kept it.

I am sure that metal detector hunting yields some good gold jewelry depending on where you search, but I have not gotten into that hobby as of yet.

Jim

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
jim4silver said:
Silver_Fox said:
jim4silver said:

It has to be great to find free gold. The first few times I found those pesky gold plated halves in a roll I thought I found some kind of gold coin (when I first glanced at the rims). I found out they are pretty worthless, so now I just throw them back. However, the other day I found a bicentenial gold plated half that was in great shape, so I kept it.

I am sure that metal detector hunting yields some good gold jewelry depending on where you search, but I have not gotten into that hobby as of yet.

Jim
I've found 6 gold rings MDing, 2 with diamonds. It is a great hobby. I've found a lot of silver coins to. One Ben.

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
Awesome haul JD , those are wicked nice coins ....those "tips" talk plain and simple ...hope that they have some more goodies for ya ,kudos Ed

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dang, thats gotta be the best find so far this year!

HH
-GC

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Silver_Fox said:
jim4silver said:
Silver_Fox said:
jim4silver said:

Jim
I've found 6 gold rings MDing, 2 with diamonds. It is a great hobby. I've found a lot of silver coins to. One Ben.

Yea i just started detecting last year and i already found 2 nice gold rings the large of the 2 is 6 grams. you should get into it, its great. i also found alot of silver coins including a 1797 spanish 1/2 reale

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
ugotit22 said:
Yea i just started detecting last year and i already found 2 nice gold rings the large of the 2 is 6 grams. you should get into it, its great. i also found alot of silver coins including a 1797 spanish 1/2 reale
Those are some great finds. I would give up all my rings to find one Spanish coin. :thumbsup:

Samuelben

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter lonestar/junior
im willing to buy those canadian cents and maybe a bit more Pm with some prices

B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread