Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

It’s been a while since I started a post, but my finds have been pretty pathetic the last few weeks.

I have gotten a total of 2-90%’s and 17 40%’s from the last 15 boxes of halves along with $1,286 hand rolls and loose halves.

Since those 15 boxes in a row averaged about one silver per box I decided to do some bank hopping. Yesterday I had the day off, so I went for a little drive. In the $806 in halves I picked up from six different banks I got one lone ’65. I went to many small town banks and credit unions way out in the boonies and most of them had no halves at all. So with $16 in gas I got $2 worth of silver.

One bank way out in farm country I had eyed for a while but it was always closed in the hours I went until yesterday. I went in and there was a sign that said “stop, wait for the buzzer”. “What the hey” I was thinking. This place was like a little mini Fort Knox. The teller had to look me over before allowing me in the lobby. Kind of like the set-ups at some apartments where you cannot get in until some inside lets you. This place had $40 worth of duds. Kind of funny with all that security and I bet the locals never even lock their doors, but it was a new bank.

What I thought would be my best stop was a bank that had $560 in halves. I had never seen so many different types of paper rolls so I was thinking I would get a few goodies, but no such luck. They were all skunks. No silver, no NIFC’s, no proofs.

When I got home my wife said she had to go to our local bank. Since I had not stopped there I asked her to get any halves they had. She brought me home three rolls but I knew that they were skunks as soon as I saw the initials “CDH” on them. So CDH has dumped halves within two miles of my house now but has not discovered my dump location with a lobby coin machine. CDH, if you’re reading this, the coin machine is within the radius where you have been dumping all those hand rolled halves. When I find them I make sure that they get sent back to the fed.

I also asked every bank/credit union I stopped at if they ever got any big dollar coins and either they told me no or when the one to two times they saw them someone always snatched them up right away.

In the five different trips I had taken this year hunting for loose halves I had found only three 40%’s. I have come to the conclusion that everyone here in Michigan knows about silver halves and the only way to get them is through boxes that hopefully come from other states. Either that or I am somehow only finding dump banks.

A while ago the teller at my bank told me she had gotten in 30 boxes so as to last me a while. I had only gotten the six of them so far and today when I went in she told me she would be glad to order more as she only had $2,000 in halves left. So someone else must also be hunting them in my area. (I am just glad that I was the only one getting all those boxes dated 2004-2006 last year ;D I wish whoever was getting them would go pick up the last four as that batch has been really bad.

I figured that the W&ET story would affect me – the town where I get my boxes had at one time six different metal detecting clubs (1970’s-80’s) and the local bookstore stocks that magazine regularly. So for me to remain the only one hunting halves in my area was bound to end.

I would really like to hunt more but my biggest problem is dumping them. The one and only place within 40 miles of me that has a coin machine in their lobby only has one day a week that they are open in hours that I can go, otherwise I would have to take a day off work to go dump them. I really do not like taking them to my main bank with the un-accessible machine because I have to wait so long for them to be deposited in my account.

Anyways, all of you that find the goodies please keep posting. My dream box will come sometime soon I hope.

Happy Hunting,

Scott (MI)

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Scott, that CDH sure gets around, i've found their dumped hand rolls within a 50 mile radius of where I search.
At first I thought maybe the initials stood for "Coins Done Hunted", ha ha!

AMC

sfwusc

Mar 20, 2008
You do realize that we don't want the dumps to go back. We want them to sit in bank vaults that we don't go to. If they are sitting there, then we don't have to worry about getting them in our boxes.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
sfwusc said:
You do realize that we don't want the dumps to go back. We want them to sit in bank vaults that we don't go to. If they are sitting there, then we don't have to worry about getting them in our boxes.
I wish that's how it worked around here. Most banks and C.U.'s don't want any quantity of halves sitting in their vault. Some ship out as little as $100 worth, but most send out as soon as they get a bag of $500.

AMC

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero
funny...my best hunting is in MI...and I think I know what little fort knox bank you were talking about.
I know the CWI boxes in MI suck tho...anything out of lavonia has been recycled and recycled and recycled it seems (farking black dot guy!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread