cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bank teller wants to sell me some currency. She just called me so I have not seen them. So no idea on condition.

She has two or three $2 bills dated 1926 or 1928 and one silver certificate dated 1957. She was not very clear on what she had, English is not her first language.

If they are not in good shape should I pass on them. Or, what should I offer? Any one interested in them?

Upvote 0

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
While old currency is cool to look at, alot of it is not worth much more than face value. I would check on some of the on-line sites to see if those particular bills are rare in some way. If she got them in circulation who knows what condition they are in. Would definitely be worth it to go look at them though.

Jim

XX

Jan 11, 2008
The 1928 $2 bills are legal tenders and will have red seals. The 1957 will be a silver certificate and have a blue seal. See if you can get them for face first. They are worth more than face, but you will have a tough time finding a dealer willing to pay more than face for them. The 1928 $2's would be the easiest to sell for more than face, but not by much.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XX said:
The 1928 $2 bills are legal tenders and will have red seals. The 1957 will be a silver certificate and have a blue seal. See if you can get them for face first. They are worth more than face, but you will have a tough time finding a dealer willing to pay more than face for them. The 1928 $2's would be the easiest to sell for more than face, but not by much.

dos equis, that is kind of what I thought. I am sure they came through her teller window.

LemonThrower

Jun 23, 2008
while they may be worth more than face, that is only if they are in great condition. Bills lose value rapidly as condition drops off. And they are difficult to sell for more than face if not in great condition. Worth buying just for the curiosity but I doubt you would ever get much more than face. Still, I have lots of old baseball cards not in great condition that I enjoy owning; the fact that I can't sell them as mint does not ruin my enjoyoment as a collector.

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
I would at least get the Silver cert. If you don't want it, PM me. I'll trade a few 40's for it. No matter condition. I'd just like to have one.
HH< S_F :icon_jokercolor:

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver_Fox said:
I would at least get the Silver cert. If you don't want it, PM me. I'll trade a few 40's for it. No matter condition. I'd just like to have one.
SF I will see what she wants for it. She wants me to call her back on Friday about something else. I will ask for her to bring them if I see her this weekend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread