Query: Regarding returns

Ju8vP3t

When you guys do your returns (Dumps, I guess to some of you), for those that Roll Search Frequently (Like everyday almost) have you ever had any snaggs with returning?......Now, almost everytime I return,...a supervisor has to be called for an over-ride...because of excessive activity on the account...(Currently, I pick-up and return the next day, so it is frequent), there's never a problem, they just do an over-ride, but still I rather not be on anyone's list...especially now a days, the way the banking laws and policies have changed...Now a bank can REPORT you for ANY unusual activity, THEY deem...Anyone got any thoughts?

Upvote 0

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Ju8vP3t said:
When you guys do your returns (Dumps, I guess to some of you), for those that Roll Search Frequently (Like everyday almost) have you ever had any snaggs with returning?......Now, almost everytime I return,...a supervisor has to be called for an over-ride...because of excessive activity on the account...(Currently, I pick-up and return the next day, so it is frequent), there's never a problem, they just do an over-ride, but still I rather not be on anyone's list...especially now a days, the way the banking laws and policies have changed...Now a bank can REPORT you for ANY unusual activity, THEY deem...Anyone got any thoughts?

I have only been CRHing for a few months, but what you mention in your post makes no sense to me. Override? What is that? How is excessive activity defined? I have never experienced any of this in my CRHing pursuits. What bank do you go to?

I hand the clerk my bag of coins and she takes them to the machine, runs them through then prints a ticket and says "how do you want that back?". I never take in more than $700 or so in dumps, just because I don't want to pi$$ off the tellers who have to carry the heavy bag of coins to the machine and run them through. Some of the petite tellers even have trouble carrying $700 worth. I have offered to carry them back to the machine but they always say no.

Also, many here on this blog consider it bad form to dump where you buy. Not only would it seem that buying one day and dumping the next might make the tellers mad and cause them to start charging you fees, but you could be buying up all your dumped coins.

As far as reporting unusual activity, if they are going to report CRHers then they are going to do it. I am unaware of any laws that are being broken by CRHing. I guess if you buy $10,000 or more worth of halves and pay cash you will get reported due to the large amount of currency??

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Jim

OP
OP
Ju8vP3t

Ju8vP3t

jim4silver said:
Ju8vP3t said:

I have only been CRHing for a few months, but what you mention in your post makes no sense to me. Override? What is that? How is excessive activity defined? I have never experienced any of this in my CRHing pursuits. What bank do you go to?

I hand the clerk my bag of coins and she takes them to the machine, runs them through then prints a ticket and says "how do you want that back?". I never take in more than $700 or so in dumps, just because I don't want to pi$$ off the tellers who have to carry the heavy bag of coins to the machine and run them through. Some of the petite tellers even have trouble carrying $700 worth. I have offered to carry them back to the machine but they always say no.

Also, many here on this blog consider it bad form to dump where you buy. Not only would it seem that buying one day and dumping the next might make the tellers mad and cause them to start charging you fees, but you could be buying up all your dumped coins.

As far as reporting unusual activity, if they are going to report CRHers then they are going to do it. I am unaware of any laws that are being broken by CRHing. I guess if you buy $10,000 or more worth of halves and pay cash you will get reported due to the large amount of currency??

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Jim

Well....jim, I don't return where I pick-up, it's not even the same bank, and because I pick-up Orders (My Boxes) and turn them around so frequently, it causes deposit and withdrawal transactions everyday....My rationale with this, is it would decrease the risk of getting your returns back(Even thought I order from one bank and return to a different bank) When I inquired about it, they told me whenever you have an "Unusual" aamounts of deposits and withdrawals, it triggers the system to flag the account...it's never a problem, they just override it....but it makes one wonder about big brother...LOL

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
I never deposit my dumps- always take cash so no deposit/withdrawal BS for ME. How do you buy the halves? With cash right? I don't think I would have very good luck buying halves with a check- but ... Never mind LOL. HH Mark

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Stripe said:
I never deposit my dumps- always take cash so no deposit/withdrawal BS for ME. How do you buy the halves? With cash right? I don't think I would have very good luck buying halves with a check- but ... Never mind LOL. HH Mark

Ditto. I only deposit occasionally(maybe once a month (have to pay my credit card bill), usually its just an all cash transaction for both buys and sells. Keeps the paperwork to a minimum, though I do get lots of "camera time" ;D LOL

I also bring about 95% of my dumps to the self serve machines at some of the local banks. No heavy lifting for the tellers.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Cash exchange.

Never dump where you buy. Find a bank with a coin counting machine in the lobby if you can.

What part of the country are you in?

Mojo

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
Here is the real answer. I could care less if "Big Brother" is watching me. What I am doing is completely legal. If they have any questions, ask. I could care less what they think. I haven't sold any silver so I'm not showing any profit either.

OP
OP
Ju8vP3t

Ju8vP3t

I buy and dump in different banks, unfortunately there are no coin counting machines in the lobby, and the bank I dump in will not exchange coins for FRN's, you have to deposit, then withdraw. I'm not concerned too much, I'm doing nothing illegal, but given the current climate now days, I'd rather just do an exchange

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
At my main bank whenever I deposit or withdraw more than $2K cash they need to get an override from the supervisor. It's a just a double check as far as I know.

The only snag I have run into besides the coin machine filling up is at one bank where they told me they couldn't take all of the coin I wanted to dump there because they had no room (I had about 4-5 boxes of quarters with me) in their coin vault. Sometimes I get displeased tellers when I dump rolled coin, but most of the time they are rather friendly to me.

Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread