time to quit?

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has slowed in my area as well. Haven't had a good box in some time now. For now......I'm going to keep plugging.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Switch to pennies for a while - not many skunks and a lot cheaper!

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
The more boxes you go through the more skunks you get but the better chance of getting the good ones. Imagine if you only bought 4 or 5, maybe they all would have stunk or had one good one in the mix. By Mon night I will have bought 149 boxes this month- any guesses on # of skunks I got (I don't even know) and yea I passed burnout 100 boxes ago. HH Mark

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I'm at 42 skunk boxes in a row (And holding. I Haven't ordered any boxes for a while, due To that high number in a row)

And I've still only oNCE in ALL the boxes I;'ve gotten form the bank received more than 2 silvers. EVER.

I think this specific market just was worked hard by someone and needs time to replenish.

i still get loose (see my next post) when i see them, but not boxes.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
fikys said:
Since May things are becaming worse and worse in my area.. Almost nothing to post. Looked through 9 boxes today:

1. Nothing
2. 13 40%
3. Nothing
4. Nothing
5. Nothing
6. 6 40%
7. Nothing
8. Nothing
9. Nothing
10. Nothing
11. Nothing
12. Nothing

fickys,

I know where you're coming from. A few weeks ago I decided to cut waaaay down on my CRHing and it was a smart move for me. I still get a few boxes each week from a close to home bank, and I have a couple of banks that let me buy their machine bags when they fill. But I don't get in the car and drive to 50 banks scrounging for loose coins anymore. Sure you may get lucky and find a good roll or two, but in my city 99% of hand rolls are now rejects from another CRHer, since there are many of us in my area now.

If you are doing this strictly as a hobby and you enjoy it then don't quit. Many think of this as a hobby, but when they start getting skunks they hate it, like I do. Everyone likes finding silver but nobody likes skunks.

I started to look at how many miles I was putting on my car, how much fuel I was using and how much time spent (driving, searching rolls and then dumping) and found that I was losing money sometimes. If you look at each find in dollar terms you will see. Each 40% is about 2.00-2.20 right now. Going through thousands of coins and finding only a few of these is not worth it to me. Let alone I get kind of irritated when I keep getting skunks, so the aggravation factor is added into the mix.

I would not quit entirely if I were you though. But when you start not doing other things that need to be done to CRH, then maybe you need to make an adjustment. I was doing the same thing as you (like you said not doing your chores, etc., to CRH). It is funny in a way, but if you compare the factors they use to determine if you are an alcoholic, they almost all fit with CRHing for some people (not saying CRHing is anywhere as damaging to you as being an alcoholic, but there are some "addictive" parallels). Such as it interfering with your other daily activities, needing to CRH and feeling stressed or mad if you can't, hiding how much you CRH or lying about how many boxes you buy when you tell family or significant other, etc. I say this kind of tongue-in-cheek but it is true in a way.

Good luck to you.

Jim

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I've gone through long streaks (26 was the most boxes in a row) of skunks but then a good box or road trip shows up and gets me motivated again. My boxes and bags from the 25-27 of June I posted about are a good example. The thing is you never know when the good stuff will show up so you have to keep searching.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread