Searched $102 in nickels! 7/6

Treasure-Slut

Jun 23, 2008
Well after hearing of the rather surprising silver turnout my fellow hunter BBcards was getting when he searched nickels, I simply HAD to search through some. I got $100 in nickels from the teller and then some lady came up next to me and cashed in some rolls of coins and there was a nickel roll in there that I took as well. In that lady's roll, I found a proof war nickel (35% silver)...I started to get stiff...in the rest I found 3 more war nickels; Sproing!. So I came out with four war nickels in total and really that pretty much parallels the value of the average dime finds within a batch of $500. So at first I was a nickel naysayer because I thought the war nickels would be incredibly scarce and you can't just rim check them, but it was actually a nice change of pace. They are good to get when you have sucked a bank dry for the week of other coinage and they are alot cheaper to get so you aren't tying up $500 or more dollars at a time.

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picture of the proof war nickle please!

Happy Hunting!

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
That was a WEIRD looking "proof" war nickel. It shiny as all hell... even where it was worn... and it had fairly normal worn damage as a normal war nickel...

Looked like it was dipped in shiny liquid metal and then dried out. =) oh yea

~Dave

OP
OP
Treasure-Slut

Treasure-Slut

Jun 23, 2008
Yeah, now that I have looked into it, I don't think there were any proof war nickels. This one is 1944. In fact dave, I think the "wear" on the obverse and reverse is probably not wear, but maybe it was filled in and covered by whatever this coin was dipped in. That idea is supported especially by the building on the back. Its smoothed over yet still has high relief. If it was wear and was restored, then the relief would be much too high. I just don't know how anyone could make such a nice looking finish like this and why the hell they would spend time to do it...

I'd post a picture of it...if I had a digital camera =P

junior967

Oct 11, 2005
Charlotte County, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually there was a few proofs made of a war nickel. The 1942-P had 27,600 proofs made. That was the only date of war nickle that had any proofs made. Another thing to look at if this is a 1944 is if there is a mint mark on the reverse. If there is no mint mark on the reverse than it is a counterfiet. There have been a few counterfeit 1944's found in the past. They all have had no mint marks.

OP
OP
Treasure-Slut

Treasure-Slut

Jun 23, 2008
junior967 said:
Actually there was a few proofs made of a war nickel. The 1942-P had 27,600 proofs made. That was the only date of war nickle that had any proofs made. Another thing to look at if this is a 1944 is if there is a mint mark on the reverse. If there is no mint mark on the reverse than it is a counterfiet. There have been a few counterfeit 1944's found in the past. They all have had no mint marks.

Yeah, it has a "P" mintmark. It seems that some third party people just dipped it in something perhaps...just like they dip all sorts of coins in gold (not just kennedy halves, I have seen others.) The only thing with this coin is that it looks like a convincing proof. Its done very well, not like the crappy gold that rubs off on the halves. I'm happy to have found it regardless and its still 35% silver! Silver! Silver! Silver! Hiyooooooo Silveeeerrr!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Today the melt value of those nickels is about 1 dollar. Has anyone sold any nickels lately? I detected two of them in the same hole this spring, along with a silver roosevelt.

AMC

OP
OP
Treasure-Slut

Treasure-Slut

Jun 23, 2008
AMC rulz said:
Today the melt value of those nickels is about 1 dollar. Has anyone sold any nickels lately? I detected two of them in the same hole this spring, along with a silver roosevelt.

AMC

Thats awsome. I haven't sold any and i wouldn't even try to sell any until I had a roll of em or more. Also if were to sell them, it would only be to convert it into more pure silver. I'm really not sure that many PM dealers would be thrilled to pick up war nickels though which is why you are wondering if anyone has managed to sell any I'm sure =P

~Slut

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congrats on the find, Nickels are a nice dirty little secrete, most people dont know. Some good finds can be made in nickels as they are all the same on the edge, I find quite a few buffalos, V's and of course Wars and Some of the key dates quite often.

Unfortunately they dont sell for much of a premium. In fact you can buy them for less than spot. Thing is, its a weird alloy and a pain in the you know what to process, it takes a lot of acid to break that alloy down.

Of course its currently illegal to melt them as they still qualify as nickels under the melt ban. But when you can find them for a nickel and they sell for a dollar, a 20X profit is not too shabby.

OP
OP
Treasure-Slut

Treasure-Slut

Jun 23, 2008
Yeah, I agree on all points Jewelerdave. I figure the nickels would sell better along with finer quality stuff. If someone is buying some bullion or 90% from you, then he would be more likely to pick up the nickels and give you a good overall price than if you were trying to just sell him a pile of war nickels. Thats just my instinctive notion on the matter.

~Sluuut

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions