CRH in Sweden

Polarbeer

Jun 12, 2008
Sweden
After reading through a lot of the posts in this section I decided to try this myself. I live in Sweden and I bought 1000 kronor (1000 coins). Our krona (about 6 kronor on a US dollar) weighs 7 grams and if they are of year -68 or older they have 40% silver. There are 80% Silver pre 1940 I think but I don't think those are very realistic to find.

I found 4 40% coins, don't know if I should consider this a good catch or not. I got a pickup of 2000 more coins coming up in a few hours. Not a very big profit, but it's fun :)

Each coin has 2.8 grams of silver so I got a total of 11.2 grams of silver from the 1000 coins.

Upvote 0

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
That's really interesting. Have you tried any other denominations? It looks like there might be some 40% 2 krona coins out there if you could get your hands on a bunch. I always wondered what would find in circulation in other countries if one was to try to complete a date set across denominations like some of us do.

Any pics?

Brian

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad to see our CRH forum has reached "international proportions".

Good luck PB.........and keep us posted.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty neat! Do you have pics? Do you have to look at the dates on all of the coins or can you tell the silver ones by just looking at the edges like we can? (in most cases anyway)

OP
OP
P

Polarbeer

Jun 12, 2008
Sweden
I'm done with the 2000 coins I ordered and I got 2 silvers out of the 2 first rolls, then nothing for the other 38 rolls :angry4:

These coins were packaged by a machine as opposed to the handpackaged tubes I got yesterday. Maybe I should ask and only get some of they are handrolled?

2kronor are no longer in circulation. 5kronor I havn't seen any silver in a log time, since they differ alot in design ppl had it easier to pick the silver out I guess.

I do check the dates on each coin as some can be worth saving due to low mintage, found one in these 2000 that I saved that wasn't silver (not in pic).

Here are my keepers and the junk...

keepers.jpg

skunk.jpg

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
Thanks for posting. That's pretty cool someone is searching for silver in another country. Keep us posted.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey!! Du kan ha tur med det det är inte många som letar efter mynt på det viset som jag vet om. (jag kan ha fel)
Jag har hittat fler silver mynt med detectorn, det är enklare tycker jag.

Här är åtalen för en kronorna:
1968 till nu koppar nickel
1942 till 1968 40% silver
1875 till 1942 80% silver

Lycka till!

Translation:
Hello!! You be lucky with that (CHR) there are not many that look after coins that way that I know of. (I could be wrong)
I have found more silver coins with my MD, it's easier I think.

Here are the composition for one kronor:
1968 to now coppernickle
1942 to 1968 40% silver
1875 to 1942 80% silver

Good luck!

:)

OP
OP
P

Polarbeer

Jun 12, 2008
Sweden
I should get my first MD tomorrow or later this week (Sov GT). Hopefully I will get more than silver then ;)

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Polarbeer said:
I should get my first MD tomorrow or later this week (Sov GT). Hopefully I will get more than silver then ;)
:wink: :wink: :wink:

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
Polarbear - It'll be great to see what you find if you keep trying 1 Krona coins. I'm guessing that 40% silver coins have gotten overlooked in Sweden as they have here (at least in comparison to 90% silver coins). If there aren't many people doing what your doing you might do pretty well. I've found that one has to go through a lot of coins before the find percentages start leveling off.

As for 2 krona coins, hopefully you'll find that there are more of these around then you think. Before I got into CRH'ing I never thought I'd come across as many Eisenhower dollars at banks as I have so far. Some people as you've probably read have even gotten banks to order bags of them. Perhaps some day you'll get lucky and find a teller that's able and willing to get them for you or gives you the heads up when some come into the bank.

5 krona coins - although the 90% silver designs are much different, one never knows. The designs for Walkers and Franklins are totally different than Kennedy halves and still these appear quite frequently in rolls, although I suspect that a lot of that has to do with the fact that halves aren't circulated much, if 5 krona coins are widely circulated to the degree that our quarters are, for instance, your chances are slim, although not impossible.

Good luck! Seems like there are some very interesting coins to find there.

Brian

OP
OP
P

Polarbeer

Jun 12, 2008
Sweden
I'm done with the 2000 coins I had for today, I got 4 silvers and 3 other keepers from them. These were also machine packaged rolls. Next time I wont order coins but just say I'll take whatever you have in tubes packaged by hand and maybe drop by a few offices to get a bunch. Our 1 and 5 krona are circulated a lot, used everywhere. Also according to my parents who was around when the coin went from silver to copper/nickel alot of people are aware of it and look for them, maybe not in CRH fashion but still.

Regarding the 2-krona it's still a valid form of payment, BUT there are none circulating. If I ask my bank for some I think they will laugh at me thinking I'm nuts ???

The camera is out of battery power atm.

My detector didn't arrive today, hopefully it will this week at least.

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
Keep at it, try different banks. :) I've had tellers tell me half dollars can only be found in coin shops, "they're for collectors" was the quote. Even more banks have told me that about Eisenhowers.

In general I and others have had better luck with hand rolls.

Brian

OP
OP
P

Polarbeer

Jun 12, 2008
Sweden
I've found 3 mint error coins so far (same one), don't know if they are common or not. I put one up on Swedish ebay (tradera) for 99x face value and now there is a bid on it :). Here is a photo off the silver from today:

keepers2.jpg

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks good! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread