Newbie gone nuts

Santo10

Jul 8, 2008
Why didn't I know about CRH 15 years ago? Especially when it came to half dollars. To read all of your posts, it appears that for the previous years finding silver would have been fairly easy, but now it's starting to dry up.

I found out about CRH by reading articles on EBay and then I found this site. So no one can blame this site for letting out "the secret". I will say "the secret" stayed a secret for quite a long time. I can hardly imagine that it was kept a secret that long. I must have had my head in the sand, because I sure missed out. As soon as I read the article on Ebay about hunting for halves, it made perfect sense. Half Dollars aren't circulated anymore...and most people don't know about the 65-70's being 40% silver.

Anyhow, enough crying over what I can do nothing about.....

I started my CRH hobby on July 1st....and I have jumped in. It is like metal detecting in that it is very addictive. You can't wait to get to the next bank or the next roll.

Week 1....little nervous about going to banks where I don't have an account but went anyway. Found that 95% of the tellers were extremely friendly whether they had any halves or not. Banks where business is slow....many tellers ask other tellers...and will go the vault. If the bank is busy...not quite as helpful in some cases. First day, found a few halves here or there....finally hit a bank with $93 in rolled halves.....SKUNKED! Day 2...stopped in several banks, finally went up to a teller who said she had $8 worth in her drawer. Saw the silver on top...40%...cringed that she wouldn't give them to me, but she did. She asked the other teller, but the teller said she was holding them for someone else...oh well....got to the car and had 5-40%. July 3rd...I planned for a big day....had the afternoon off (tough day to go to the banks as everybody is getting their money that day)...so I planned a little road trip. I still hadn't done any dumps but I had $400 in cash...so I figured I was okay. Hit a few banks in town before I left...picked up one roll....had a beautiful Au 1966 Kennedy in it (40%). To be honest I see how they missed that one...really didn't look silver...all the others really jumped out...but this one didn't. Drove up to the next town...first bank I hit had more rolls than I could buy so I bought all I could....went home and started searching....SKUNKED except for a 2007 NIFC.

Yesterday I dropped in to three banks and after picking up about $40 worth was skunked again.

Today, much better....got $10 at the first bank....and was skunked there...Bank 2, the teller said that I was indeed in luck...brought out $130 in rolls...she said it was unusual for them to have any. Those rolls brought me 12-40% and 3 beautiful 1964 Kennedys (90%). Drop into bank 3....teller asks me did I have an account. Honestly, I said I used to but I didn't at this time....she said she would give me some halves this time, but no more unless I had an account with them...she was pretty nice all in all, though. Anyhow, I only had $200 on me so she gave me that in halves. I had the impression they had quite a bit more. She was very friendly, and I struck up a good rapport. I probably will open an account and mention that the reason I was doing so was here friendly service...maybe I can get her looking for me. Searching the halves I pulled 2-40% and one 2003 NIFC. Not too bad for a start. My first box orders are supposed to be in tomorrow. I have 2 boxes coming in from a new bank.

As far as dumps go...I am not used to the staring from the tellers yet as I dump into the coin machine. I will get over it though. I have 5 branches of my credit union within my area that I can dump at. I can't imagine having to reroll those suckers! I watched the attendant take out a bag of halves after I had finished filling it up...you don't know had bad I wanted to search the bottom half. I talked to a friend of mine who is an assistant manager at one of the branches. She said they used to sell the bags, but received a memo saying that now they all have to go back to the Fed (probably Brinks). She said that they don't get necessarily an accurate count with their machines, and that their bag amounts are determined by weight....anyhow I can't get the bags....Darn! She did offer to order coin for me, but I rather use them as a dump bank since no other banks around here seem to have counting machines.

Thanks for all the posts...I learned alot reading them the last couple of weeks.

Upvote 0

Treasure-Slut

Jun 23, 2008
Welcome to the wonderful world of CRHing. At least you HAVE a coin dumping machine. I have to re-roll everything and bring it in to countless banks unless I want a verbal raping for dumping too many at any given one...

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Re-rolling halves, not that bad. Try searching a couple grand in dimes and re-rolling. Thank goodness I can dump in the counter or bring back loose in $500 bags. (dimes).
I wasn't interested in CRHing 10-15 years ago because I don't think silver was worth squat then. 40% clad even less, and now with the hike in silver price I jumped on the bandwagon with everyone else.
Welcome to coinroll hunting and the best of luck to ya.

AMC

Treasure-Slut

Jun 23, 2008
AMC rulz said:
Re-rolling halves, not that bad. Try searching a couple grand in dimes and re-rolling. Thank goodness I can dump in the counter or bring back loose in $500 bags. (dimes).
I wasn't interested in CRHing 10-15 years ago because I don't think silver was worth squat then. 40% clad even less, and now with the hike in silver price I jumped on the bandwagon with everyone else.
Welcome to coinroll hunting and the best of luck to ya.

AMC

Yeah, well I re-roll everything from pennies through dimes and nickels as well and also have to go face a teller who must always make a comment or complaint of some sort. But thats part of being a coin searching asshole =) GOOD news though after I made my initial comment. My friend BBcards finally found a bank relatively near us that DOES have a coin counting machine so that will help us some. Considering we do several thousand in halves in one day could still piss off a teller who has to change the bag out every time, but either way it will help.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya gots to have a dump bank with a counter you can access. You may also need an account there or be charged fees. I know my CU charges up to 3-5%. I am not charged a fee as I have enough savings there to qualify.
Teller still moans sometimes when its time to change bags, but they gotta whine about somthin'.
I also do not buy coin from my dump bank as they usually let me know or I ask if somthin' special comes in.

Treasure-Slut

Jun 23, 2008
AMC rulz said:
Ya gots to have a dump bank with a counter you can access. You may also need an account there or be charged fees. I know my CU charges up to 3-5%. I am not charged a fee as I have enough savings there to qualify.
Teller still moans sometimes when its time to change bags, but they gotta whine about somthin'.
I also do not buy coin from my dump bank as they usually let me know or I ask if somthin' special comes in.

Yeah, he did open an account at the bank with the machine already so we are set to go. I'm not sure what you mean about a counter I can access. Care to elaborate on that?

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Good thing I opened the account... cause they charge freaking 8% if you don't have an account with them.

Thats $80 bucks in halves lost every 1 grand order... CRAZY!

~Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread