15 years ago

baldiphoto

Dec 8, 2007
i also do a little M D ing and belong to the local coinshooters club here in san diego.... at the last meeting i was playing show and tell with my new found 1925 stone mt georgia half, when one of the clubs old timers told me about his best $1000 bag 15 years ago, he said it only had 3 clad halfs in it, and he was ticked that they were there.....sorry on pix....

Upvote 0

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
and back in 1993, the price of silver made a 40% worth $.75 and and a 90% half worth about $1.78 at full spot value.

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
TXTim said:
and back in 1993, the price of silver made a 40% worth $.75 and and a 90% half worth about $1.78 at full spot value.
Sounds like a bag I had last week......LOL...... except the ratio was the other way around...LOL
Coulda woulda, shoulda.
Hooda thunk.
If I knew then what I know now.
Hindsight is better than foresight.
..........and the list goes on...........
Thanks for shaing. Oh for the good old days.

OP
OP
B

baldiphoto

Dec 8, 2007
for txtim.....thanks for the info on what silver was 15 years ago.....still that was not a bad bag of $1000.

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
No, not bad at all.

But if you play the game of using a time machine, things start to not add up. I mean... if you go back to 64 and start stockpiling... you need to think if its really worth hoarding for 50+ years to start making a profit... well... unless you got lucky and sold before the Hunt-Bubble burst... which was still a decent few years of hoarding.

I would compare it to hoarding copper pennies today... who knows how many decades for those to really pan out... if they ever do.

~Dave

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
I agree with BBcard...sometimes I wish I had started hoarding 15 years ago, but I did not make a lot of money back then, and I am sure that I would have eventually sold my stash for a quick 20 - 30% over face. I am just thankful that I stumbled onto this hobby a few months ago, and that I have a job/tolerant wife with a better job/time/collection of banks that allows me to build a few sandwich bags of silvers at this point in time.

The few hundred or so of halfs I have pulled from the boxes may be worth a lot some day, or they may not be worth a lot some day. I hope they are not the sacred pieces of silver that save me from a dismal end, but if they are, so be it. My preferred outcome is for silver to remain moderately valuable, and for my son and I to drive my wife nuts with the stories of how we got them all for face value!

Now if I can just hold on until Monday when my next load of boxes comes in...

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
BBcardsRI said:
No, not bad at all.

But if you play the game of using a time machine, things start to not add up. I mean... if you go back to 64 and start stockpiling... you need to think if its really worth hoarding for 50+ years to start making a profit... well... unless you got lucky and sold before the Hunt-Bubble burst... which was still a decent few years of hoarding.

I would compare it to hoarding copper pennies today... who knows how many decades for those to really pan out... if they ever do.

~Dave

Your logic is not totally correct Dave. If you started hoarding in 64 and sold in 79 or 80 when silver hit almost 50 bucks an ounce you would have made a huge profit selling all your silver coins. Granted, coin dealers were discounting what they paid you back then to about 35 bucks an ounce because refiners were being overloaded with silver due to the high prices, you could still make a big profit just for holding silver.

Jim

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Pretty amazing.

But I agree with the small margin of profit 15 years ago It would have been tough to hoard that 1k for a long period of time as silver was pretty flat from 85 to 2003 between $4 and $6 just for the silver.

A more realistic reason to do it back in the day might be the reason my old buddy STAN had for doing it.

Recently ran into my old friend STAN and he told me he was doing this 30 years ago and put together a pretty nice collection of Silver dollars CRH'g

Outside of that, in my humble opinion, the best time to coin roll hunt is "TODAY" based on the current profit margin for junk silver. or as long as silver is above $16.

But the competition is ferocious.

Mojo

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Actually Jim, it is COMPLETELY correct. ;)

Read my reply again, and you can see my mention of the Hunt-bubble, which is the same bubble you were talking about in 79-80.

Luckily for my Dad, he was smart enough to unload his silver halves right before the bubble popped, but A LOT of people weren't so lucky, as silver dropped extremely quickly once the Government decided it didn't like the Hunt brother manipulation on the market. Not everyone saw that drop coming so suddenly and were left with there silver where it remained at $5 an ounce or so for multiple decades after that burst.

I see what you are saying about it not ONLY being 50+ years of hoarding, but even then it was 15+ years of hoarding and you still needed to know when to sell and be aware of the market. I still don't want to hoard copper pennies today and wait for 15+ years for a profit... if you see what I am saying.

~Dave

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
BBcardsRI said:
Actually Jim, it is COMPLETELY correct. ;)

Read my reply again, and you can see my mention of the Hunt-bubble, which is the same bubble you were talking about in 79-80.

Luckily for my Dad, he was smart enough to unload his silver halves right before the bubble popped, but A LOT of people weren't so lucky, as silver dropped extremely quickly once the Government decided it didn't like the Hunt brother manipulation on the market. Not everyone saw that drop coming so suddenly and were left with there silver where it remained at $5 an ounce or so for multiple decades after that burst.

I see what you are saying about it not ONLY being 50+ years of hoarding, but even then it was 15+ years of hoarding and you still needed to know when to sell and be aware of the market. I still don't want to hoard copper pennies today and wait for 15+ years for a profit... if you see what I am saying.

~Dave

I am personally not into hoarding pennies or collecting them at all, silver and gold are what I stick to. But I still don' t think your postion is fundamentally sound from a financial perspective. Here's why.

Right now it is illegal to melt pennies due to a fairly recent law, which also pertains to nickels. At one time silver was illegal to melt too, but from what I understand it is not illegal to melt anymore. The gov could lift the penny and nickel ban someday too, but who knows.

If the law making it illegal to melt pennies was lifted today, a person could instantly double their money by selling to refineries (copper was higher a while back, but commodity prices fluctuate as you know). Unless you believe that commodity prices will all fall in the future and fiat paper money's value will go up (cannot see that happening myself), then most any industrial or monetary metal will go up in value in the future.

Unless you have an investment vehicle that yields better than what commodities have done the past few years, there is not a better place to "park" your money. Do you honestly think the stock market is going to perform like it has in years past? Real estate is tanking and will continue as more people go into foreclosure. California is builing huge "parking lots" where homeless people can sleep in their cars without being arrested.

Like I said, I stay away from pennies because I don't have the space for them or time (I waste enough time going through halves, I would have to sell my business if I started going through a new type of coin), and also because they are illegal to melt I would not be able to sell them (I doubt the ban will be lifted anytime soon. maybe 5-10 years from now???). But if we are talking from 2008 to the future, commodities will be hard to beat. So if you start collecting silver coins now, you will not need 15 or 50 years for them to become profitable like in past times, in my estimation.

If you started saving them in the 80s and have not sold till now, then your view is correct in that you could have made more investing in stocks percentage wise over the years. But hindsight is 20 20 as they say.

Jim

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Jim Jim Jim... you take my lighthearted reply too seriously. You couldn't just admit that you were wrong in that I actually mentioned the 1979-80 bubble before you did... ;)

Now it appears your logic is the one that is faultering... at least from my understanding of it.

Firstly, I never said that investing in commodities is wrong... if I thought that, why would I be here... in the silver hunter CRH forum? All I said... and meant... was that it wasn't really time effective... in my opinion... to have hoarded silver decades to half a century ago. All we were talking about in our replies up until your last one, was hoarding silver a long time ago, pennies only came in as a means of perspective, while still sticking to the silver viewpoint.

But, since you seem intent on sticking to pennies now: you proved my point that hoarding can be long term. Albeit this time it is because a melting ban and not slow markets. And if the ban WERE lifted today, it wouldn't quite be double the money. You must bear in mind that although silver and gold are traded commonly quite near spot price, that other metals are not, especially when in low quanities (when you reach the level of selling tons of metal... literally "tons"... prices get better though still not spot). You would also run into the problem of some businesses not wanting to handle that much legal tender unless the fed was trying to get them out of circulation... because otherwise they will still care, legal or not, about people melting millions and millions of their currency... it tends to throw things off.

So, to summarize: everything I said in my original post was true and correct. You simply mis-read or mis-understood it as you completely missed the part about the 79-80 bubble, which cause you to make your first reply. And lastly, I completely agree about commodities today outperforming stocks. The dollar is abismal and only going to get worse as our horrific government and our horrific "leaders" continue to make horrific choices in almost if not every area and field. Both lead parties in government are laughing stocks to those who actually follow politics, which in this country is essentially no one... I've learned that by asking hardcore supporters of those running questions about their policies. Our country will continue to go in debt and down the drain and with it so will our currency. We all better start stockpiling faster because soon enough our paper currency will be worth less than Argentina's at its worst period and our PM's will be the only thing of value left.

~Dave

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
BBcardsRI said:
you need to think if its really worth hoarding for 50+ years to start making a profit... well... unless you got lucky and sold before the Hunt-Bubble burst... which was still a decent few years of hoarding.

~Dave

This is what I was referring to. It seems that you are saying that a current holder will have to wait 50 years to profit, as in your 64 to present example.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread