Very short bag but a good box

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Tuesday I went to dump my $1,000 bag of dimes. I split it into 3 containers and headed out. My 3rd stop was a bank that orders my halves when I ask them to. I turned in the dimes and asked them to order me 2 boxes of halves. I asked how many halves were in the counting machine (They will only sell full bags). I thought she said $441.50, almost full. I stopped at another bank looking for enough halves to fill the bag and the teller had $70, perfect. My wife and I opened the rolls, no silver. I took them back and told her I'd buy the full bag. Well, she said she told me there was $421.50 in the bag so I was still $8.50 short of a full bag. I went to another bank and they had $16 in halves so I bought them and went back to the bank to buy the bag. I got the bag and it had 1x58-D Franklin, 1x66, 2x67, 2x68-D, and 2x69-D. There was also a clover piece with the word LUCK stamped in the back. Unfortunately the bag was $48.50 short in halves >:( . It did have $11.90 in misc. change so I had a net shortage of $36.60. That's the risk you take buying bags. Luckily most bags are just a few dollars short, but this can happen.

8JUN08_Bag_Total.jpg

Today I went to pick up my weekly box. The teller asked me how the second mailed box was. I told her it didn't have another Barber but had some silver so it was a good box. She said unfortunately I was back to the square boxes. I figured I be back on the skunk trail, but I was wrong.
The box had a 1939-S Walker, 3 Franklins - 1954-D, 1960-D, and 1961-D, a 1964-D Kennedy, and 6x67, 4x68-D, and 3x69-D. It also had a 82-D gold plated 1960-1980 counterstamp. If the square boxes start producing like this, keep them coming.

10JUN08_Box_Total.jpg

Upvote 0

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Fropa said:
Tuesday I went to dump my $1,000 bag of dimes. I split it into 3 containers and headed out. My 3rd stop was a bank that orders my halves when I ask them to. I turned in the dimes and asked them to order me 2 boxes of halves. I asked how many halves were in the counting machine (They will only sell full bags). I thought she said $441.50, almost full. I stopped at another bank looking for enough halves to fill the bag and the teller had $70, perfect. My wife and I opened the rolls, no silver. I took them back and told her I'd buy the full bag. Well, she said she told me there was $421.50 in the bag so I was still $8.50 short of a full bag. I went to another bank and they had $16 in halves so I bought them and went back to the bank to buy the bag. I got the bag and it had 1x58-D Franklin, 1x66, 2x67, 2x68-D, and 2x69-D. There was also a clover piece with the word LUCK stamped in the back. Unfortunately the bag was $48.50 short in halves >:( . It did have $11.90 in misc. change so I had a net shortage of $36.60. That's the risk you take buying bags. Luckily most bags are just a few dollars short, but this can happen.

8JUN08_Bag_Total.jpg

I hear ya Fropa, that does suck, and when short , bags aren't usually by that much.

On the bright side, though short, that bag did get you over $25 in silver (1.40 ozs @ $18.30). So your losses are even less. 8)

Hang in there..............and seems like you did very well on that next box.

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Getting an OK amount of silver between the box and the bag does help. The Walker and one Franklin also filled holes in my albums. I figure its all part of the game so I'll just keep playing.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about that. But atleast you got som good stuff. Better luck next time. :thumbsup:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fropa said:
Unfortunately the bag was $48.50 short in halves >:( . It did have $11.90 in misc. change so I had a net shortage of $36.60.
About a month or so ago I was $9.50 short on a bag of halves. I kind of wrote it off as the cost of doing business because there was some silver in the bag. But, last week I was talking the the head teller/manager about something else and the topic of their counter came up. I suggested that she get it serviced because it is making errors. (more than half the time I go in that bank the machine is broken) I told her why and she looked in a log book and saw that on that day they were $9 over somewhere else. She will fix it.

Just checked my online account and she credited me $9.50 ;D

I would say go back and politely see what they can do.

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I debated if I would say anything or not because of the fact the may decide not to sell bags anymore. The advantage I have is the banks business account manager is the wife of a guy I work with. He asked me about the bag and I mentioned to him that I found some silver but it was short. He got right on the phone and let his wife know about the shortage. She was going to let the teller in charge of the counting machine and that orders my boxes for me know about the bag. That put an end to my debate on saying something or not. I don't know what/if anything will come from letting her know. I'll probably find out when I go in to pick up my boxes next week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread