Solid silver rolls in gold wrappers... irony at its finest.

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Alright... so I was driving around for an hour or two hitting up over a half dozen banks looking for halves and old quarter rolls to look through for some silvaaaa and was finding NOTHING. Not a single bank had a single halve, and not a single bank had a roll of quarters that wasn't a brand new unc. roll of those retardedly annoying state quarters.

So I decide to call it quits and hit up my favorite bank near my house to get some nickels to look through to help finish off my whitman and find some war nickels so I at least get SOMETHING silver for the day.

They only had $60 in nickels, so I checked my wallet, saw that I had just over $250, so I tell them I will take $190 in quarters or dimes. They naturally have NO quarters, so I end up with $190 in dimes. I throw them in my heavy duty bag and lug them home. I get some food to fill the emptiness in the pit of my stomach that comes from a silverless and quarterless day :P and decide to get to the stash of nickels and dimes.

Well... that pit quickly got filled! ;)

As I am pulling everything out of the bag and placing it on the floor I see through the end of the shotgun roll something that looks AWEFULLY silvery. I lift up the $50 bunch of dimes and see that it is indeed silver... and so are at least two other ends of the shotgun rolls. I look at another bunch and see an end or two that looks like silver and at that point my silver starved mind is running through possibilities.

Here are the rolls I went through:

190 in rolls.JPG

And here are a few of the rolls that had some very promising writing:

Rolls w writing.jpg

Here is the total hoard of silver that I pulled from the $190 in rolls:

overview.JPG

It was a total stash of $94 in face value of silver. Each silver coin came from a SOLID silver roll, which means I got shorted 10 dimes in the process from the 19 rolls of silver. I never like being shorted, but I can't complain in this case. =)

Here are a few more shots of the hoard:

side shot.JPG

side view.JPG

I raced through the rolls as I dumped them out... the first 2 or 3 I took my time with... seeing how many of the coins were silver and once I noticed all of them were, I started dumping out all the rolls on the floor really quickly, making a pile of the ones with silver and a pile of the ones without.

After I finished dumping them all and looked at the gloriously huge pile of silver, I dumped the rest of the dimes into my bag along with $180 in halves I had lying around from the day before, and raced over to the only bank I belong to with a coin machine. I dumped them all in, grabbed my roughly $300 from the teller, and raced back to the bank I got the silver dimes from to get whatever other dimes the teller had. I waited for the specific teller I went to last time and got the last $300 she had in dimes.

I looked at them quickly in the car and was dissapointed not to see anymore of those yellow/gold rolls or any shotgun rolls showing silver, but once again, I couldn't complain based on what I had already pulled.

I went through the $300 later that night and pulled one silver coin out of two different rolls, then towards the end I dumped a roll into my hand and thought it had a ton of canadian in it, but they proved to be silver, 13 silver dimes in that roll. The 13 dime roll had to have been a random good roll because it wasn't in a shotgun roll like the other dream rolls, plus they were all SOLID silver and from mostly the same $50 bunches.

Here is what I pulled from the $300 that night:

score from 300.JPG

So the final score for the day was $95.50 in face value of silver dimes. By far the best stash I have ever found. I used to read the dream finds here in awe and started hoping I would find a dream box of halves or something, but I will certainly take this instead.

Thanks for reading and happy hunting.

~Dave

Upvote 0

Treasure-Slut

Jun 23, 2008
SPROING! I told you guys, this is the motherload! Ohhhhh I'm busting out of my pants right now...I'm printing out these pics for later tonight :wink:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Dude that is just to much for me to comprehend! Thats over a grand of that silvery stuff! Glad you hit the jackpot!

AMC

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Congratulations.

Bet you would have never imagined making $1k buying $190 in dimes....... lets see any Wall Street stock broker do that for you. :thumbsup:

Mojo

OP
OP
BBcardsRI

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Thanks guys!

I'm still soaking it all in... lol

Just went through them all to see if I had any I needed for my whitman, or any key dates, etc. as well as to see if I could put a roll of nice condition unc. or something together.

Nabbed a few for the folder, still need 9 more though. =(

No key dates in there unfortunately, though I did get a good 2 rolls of VERY nice looking coin... a roll+ of which is 1964, but with some spares going all the way back to 46.

Oh... and as far as for the $60 in nickels I picked up with that first batch of dimes... not a single war nickel and I would say less than a dozen coins from the 50's and 40's, with no 30's and no good low mintages. Worst batch of nickels yet.

~Dave

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW....great finds!!! Cool wrappers, too..
What part of RI are ya searchin?

Joe

OP
OP
BBcardsRI

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Thanks again guys!

Joe, I'm searching a decently wide area... EG/NK/West Warwick... touching into wickford at times and a rare bank in Warwick on occasion.

I haven't cracked Cranston yet, and don't really plan on it except for on a rare occasion when I'm in the area anyway which happens like once a week... anything else is too far away for me with current gas prices. =)

How about you?

~Dave

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BBcardsRI said:
Thanks again guys!

Joe, I'm searching a decently wide area... EG/NK/West Warwick... touching into wickford at times and a rare bank in Warwick on occasion.

I haven't cracked Cranston yet, and don't really plan on it except for on a rare occasion when I'm in the area anyway which happens like once a week... anything else is too far away for me with current gas prices. =)

How about you?

~Dave

I'm in the Prov area and surrounding....I was in NK this past week; was the $310 in halves I got at Bank of America your dumps?? LOL

Joe

Treasure-Slut

Jun 23, 2008
Joe88 said:
BBcardsRI said:
Thanks again guys!

How about you?

~Dave

I'm in the Prov area and surrounding....I was in NK this past week; was the $310 in halves I got at Bank of America your dumps?? LOL

Joe

HAHAHAHAHA!! The big ass BOA on post road? LOL, I dumped those there to open an account with so I can dump even MORE S-H-I-T there lol. Ohhhh man, my wanker almost broke off and fell into the bucket of acid next to my desk when I read your post because its the exact amount I gave them like at least 2 weeks ago lmao. I'm glad you took those actually so that they wont be mad when I dump a few thousand more over there haha. Honestly though, the NK/EG/Warwick area is totally worked over by Dave and myself. I wouldn't even bother over here because we are picking up and dumping stuff on a massive scale practically daily. We NEVER go to providence though so you are safe from us anywhere around there =P

OP
OP
BBcardsRI

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Yea... I'm not going NEAR providence with the cost of gas... and with your darn traffic and CRAPPY roads... 95 anyone? lmao

That is HILARIOUS though that you picked up Treasure-Slut's dumps... I mean... I've picked up a ton of people's dumps lately with halves... but to run into one of those people on this forum... lol GOOD STUFF!

We seriously do work this area over good... like I said in my original post... I've worked it over so much that I went to half a dozen banks and couldn't get a SINGLE ROLL OF QUARTERS... which shows how much coin we are moving around. The halve situation is abysmal here though... I found a few 40% early on this summer in random teller trays... but now when I go in to any banks in the freakin' tri-county area... the tellers ALWAYS say that A LOT of people have been asking for them lately and that they have NONE... or they smile and give me like multiple hundred's in someone's dumps.

Boxes are the only good things for halves in this area.

Quarters are giving me like 1 silver quarter every 3-4 grand worth which is PATHETIC, dimes are A LITTLE better... aside from getting LUCKY like I did this time... nickels WERE doing decent with the old stuff and a few war nicks but the last few batches have been TOTAL busts... not sure whats going on there...

~Dave

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure-Slut said:
Joe88 said:
BBcardsRI said:
Thanks again guys!

How about you?

~Dave

Joe

HAHAHAHAHA!! The big ass BOA on post road? LOL, I dumped those there to open an account with so I can dump even MORE S-H-I-T there lol. Ohhhh man, my wanker almost broke off and fell into the bucket of acid next to my desk when I read your post because its the exact amount I gave them like at least 2 weeks ago lmao. I'm glad you took those actually so that they wont be mad when I dump a few thousand more over there haha. Honestly though, the NK/EG/Warwick area is totally worked over by Dave and myself. I wouldn't even bother over here because we are picking up and dumping stuff on a massive scale practically daily. We NEVER go to providence though so you are safe from us anywhere around there =P

I guess I won't go back there...LOL...But I see from your totals that those areas don't seem to give up too much...:P
Seriously...I'm taking these areas off my list..I really haven't been hunting too much.....you guys been hunting for awhile?

Joe

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BBcardsRI said:
Yea... I'm not going NEAR providence with the cost of gas... and with your darn traffic and CRAPPY roads... 95 anyone? lmao

That is HILARIOUS though that you picked up Treasure-Slut's dumps... I mean... I've picked up a ton of people's dumps lately with halves... but to run into one of those people on this forum... lol GOOD STUFF!

We seriously do work this area over good... like I said in my original post... I've worked it over so much that I went to half a dozen banks and couldn't get a SINGLE ROLL OF QUARTERS... which shows how much coin we are moving around. The halve situation is abysmal here though... I found a few 40% early on this summer in random teller trays... but now when I go in to any banks in the freakin' tri-county area... the tellers ALWAYS say that A LOT of people have been asking for them lately and that they have NONE... or they smile and give me like multiple hundred's in someone's dumps.

Boxes are the only good things for halves in this area.

Quarters are giving me like 1 silver quarter every 3-4 grand worth which is PATHETIC, dimes are A LITTLE better... aside from getting LUCKY like I did this time... nickels WERE doing decent with the old stuff and a few war nicks but the last few batches have been TOTAL busts... not sure whats going on there...

~Dave

I knew they were someones dumps right away.....LOL.......Your right...the halves have been scarce....not much silver....
It sounds like you guys go through alot more coin than I do.....I do this very part time....a box a week...and some rolls here and there....what kind of box do you get..I get CWI and they have been pretty good.......

Joe

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you scored the mother load for silver!!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions