Asking For Coins

hit80s

Dec 31, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace 250
THIS IS A HOLD UP!!! .........PUT ALL THE MONEY IN THIS BAG..........AND NO ONE GETS HURT........ that usually works well for me......try it sometime :)

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Ijust ask it they have any rolled coin of whatever denomination. But make sure you say "rolled coin", as once the teller brought out a box of "dimes" and told me, "that will be 5 dollars please."
She brought out a box of empty paper dime tubes, ha ha.

AMC

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Yea... be specific as far as asking for rolled COIN. You could also ask for customer rolled coin which should avoid the "empty coin wrapper" mixup as well as get you used rolls instead of rip and tear FED rolls which I utterly hate.

I'm not sure how big the banks are you use... I use some fairly small ones mostly, so I go up to the teller and ask if I can buy some say... rolls of quarters. I them say yes... I mean QUARTERS and not WRAPPERS... at which point I ask if I can have a certain amount... and if they can't cover that I tell them I will take whatever they can spare.

The main thing is to be personable and as nice as you possibly can... tellers are not people you want to get mad, and some of them get mad EASILY.

~Dave

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
I just say
Hey how are you. I just wanted to see if you have any Halves in the bank today. Either on the line or in the valut. That normally works for me.
If they says yes how much do u want i always say il take whatever they have

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm into halves only. I just go in and say, "I'm looking to get all the half dollars I can get. Do you have any?" Some will say they have a few in their drawer or they have none but then I ask if there are any in the vauilt I can get.

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Yea... half dollars are easier to ask for... and tellers HATE to have them in their vaults so they are also VERY glad to get rid of them.

I am... unfortunately... addicted to looking through Halves, Quarters, Dimes and Nickels... so things aren't QUITE so easy for me. =(

~Dave

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
ugotit22 said:
I just say
Hey how are you. I just wanted to see if you have any Halves in the bank today. Either on the line or in the valut. That normally works for me.
If they says yes how much do u want i always say il take whatever they have
Pretty much my MO. I always say loose or rolled. I love it when they say something like "I have 21". I say, cool, 21 rolls. Oh no, 21 halves. Oh bummer but I'll take them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread