Pennies

hit80s

Dec 31, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace 250
nah would take years to be woth more then face value ..........take the 100.00 bucks and buy some silver bullion to stash...just my 2 cents worth :icon_jokercolor:

zmemarine

Feb 6, 2008
A box of uncirculated 2008 pennies sell for about 50 bucks on Ebay. Check it out.

Semper Fi

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
I don't understand why on earth they sell for 2 times face, when it is darn near impossible to get 2 times face for the old copper ones, which are actually WORTH MORE than 2 times face.

Why do people think they are worth so much? Because the design changes next year? Wheat pennies aren't even worth all that much and those are lower mintages and decades older...

~Dave

sfwusc

Mar 20, 2008
A UNC wheat is worth a few dollars. Look for a MS 60 or higher wheat and see if you can get it with shipping for less than a few bucks.

Yea a worn wheat isn't worth much of a nickel. A worn copper cent is worth 1.5 cents or so on ebay.

It has to do with condition of the coin and not the melt content. There are a lot of coins that sell for more than the metal content due to whatever reason.

Out of the 8 billion 2008 cents how many will be UNC in 50 years? People wanting to build high condition sets aren't going to be able to find them in rolls. They will have to buy them from someone that saved them.
I don't think this is the best investment, but I understand the logic. They would be better served to get their bank to just save them two boxes of new cents and trade with someones across the country that did the same thing. I guess that takes to much work.

-SWUSC

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Oh I get that but I mean... 50 years... that is just... freakin' NOT WORTH IT in my opinion. I would much rather roll that money over to silver for a COUPLE years than freakin' zinc pennies for half a century, lmao.

I guess if you have the money to spare, then a hundred dollars of pennies you can throw in your giant safety deposit box at your local bank is a decent investment for the children.... or grandchildren, lmao.

Another tidbit though is that although the 08's are selling for like 2x face... there are a couple boxes of 07 with no bids at just under 2x face though with 5 days left on the bay... and I checked some other years and haven't found a single box of unc./bu unopened pennies... so it isn't that HOT of a market. But in 50 years I suppose it will be... =)

~Dave

Treasure-Slut

Jun 23, 2008
I would rather invest it in silver as an inflation hedge and to actually make money in MY OWN lifetime.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread