A reject coins travels

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
A reject coin's travels

About two-three weeks ago I saw a 1977 D Kennedy half that had a sticker on the reverse that completely covered that side. It was a white sticker with blue print that said "change from Budget Tackle, Granby, CO". It also had a blue buffalo on it.

It caught my eye because it was odd. Anyway, I dumped it at my bank that uses Brinks. Recently I bought a Dunbar box and got that same coin in my rolls. Apparently someone got my reject from a Brink's roll and dumped it at a Dunbar bank. I believe that Dunbar actually re-rolls a bank's coins and holds them until they order. I was told that by Dunbar and have seen my Dunbar bank not get in boxes when ordered because their vault was empty. On the other hand, I believe that Brinks comingles all the coins that come in, so you might get coins from any bank that the Brinks facility handles. Thus, someone is dumping their Brinks rejects at the Dunbar bank and I usually dump my Dunbar rejects at a Brinks bank. No wonder we all keep getting so many skunk boxes.

I still get the best results from Brinks boxes though. Dunbar has been skunky lately (so has Brinks but not as bad, about one out of 6 boxes is pretty good on average). Maybe due to the high volume of halves they take in (in my estimation, Brinks handles 90% or more of all the banks in my town) Brink's gets more variety??

Pretty quick turnaround it seems to me for that dump half.

Jim

Upvote 0

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Re: A reject coin's travels

I get those all the time, I thought they were crh rejects they used as change but I got a 40%er a couple monthes ago with the sticker. HH Mark

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island

I've run across so many halves marked in all SORTS of ways... its crazy how many people must waste SO MUCH time just marking halves...

I thought we were all losers for spending so much time and money looking for silvaaa, but I think we all know that the real losers are those coin markers...

~Dave

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course

Funny here in my part of CA I rarely see a sticker. Like maybe 3 out of 147K plus searched.

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

Silver_Fox said:
Funny here in my part of CA I rarely see a sticker. Like maybe 3 out of 147K plus searched.

SF,

Same here. This is the only sticker I have ever seen and I have gone through lots of halves. I am pretty sure it is the same one because I remember the other was a 1977 too. Could be two of them floating around here I suppose.

Jim

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island

I HIGHLY doubt it is the same half... you got them from boxes right... not hand rolls?

A lot of freaks out there mark halves... like thousands and thousands of dollars in halves with x's or marker lines... some even drill holes in them.

People do this in LARGE numbers... so you might have just stumbled upon someone whoe likes to put stickers on them...

Just my opinion...

~Dave

captain ahab

Jan 4, 2005
colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett

I'm in colorado and probably average 1 of the "Budget Tackle Granby CO" stickered halves in every 1K halves searched.
Funny thing is that like Silver Stripe, I too have gotten a 40%er with one of their stickers.

Sticker or not - silver is silver!

G'Luck,

-Capt Ahab

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!

I have two coins (Both pennies in this case) with unique stickers on them. I kept them both, as I like odd things.

One says "Thank you from Deer's Head Inn, Elizabethtown, NY"

The other I don't have in front of me right now and don't remember.

Kinda cool though. Especially out here in AZ. A long wasys from that Inn in NY. :-)

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Common as heck in Colorado.
I likewise find about 1 per 1000, they must have given a lot of change over the years in halves.
When I find them I put the date and a serial number on them and toss em back, And yes, I have gotten the same ones back. Great tracker coins.
I have also found two varieties of the coins, one with the buffalo, and one that is black and white.

I just wonder if the place is still open or not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread