Dimes

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Anybody ever tried the "volume" game with dimes?
Yesterday was the one year anniversary of my first box of halves, since that time I have searched with every dollar I could save, scrape or steal and I am dam tired. Last week was 42 boxes, over 90 for July so far. Anyways I began the shutdown procedure today- will take a week. At yesterdays pickup I told them no halves for next week but give ME 12 boxes of dimes. Tomarrows pickup where I get 12 boxes of halves, next week I will get 24 or 28 of dimes instead. I really hate the dimes but today I picked up a box with my halves to practice on and got 6 Rosies- thats a first. Have to shut down to prepare for vacation. I do better with large volumes of halves at a time so I thought I would try that theory on the dimes. Besides I am so used to spending a few K a day that I am afraid what I will drag home ifn I don't spend it on coins. HH everyone, Mark

Upvote 0

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
It takes what... 5 dimes to equal a single 90% half? Something like that anyway...

If you go through THAT many boxes... you must AVERAGE AT LEAST a single 90% or like 3 40% per box... even with a fair amount of skunk boxes.. the good ones should lead to that kind of average.

With fed rolls you will NEVER average that many in dimes...

I think you made a mistake my friend.

~Dave

OP
OP
Silver Stripe

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
BBcardsRI said:
It takes what... 5 dimes to equal a single 90% half? Something like that anyway...

If you go through THAT many boxes... you must AVERAGE AT LEAST a single 90% or like 3 40% per box... even with a fair amount of skunk boxes.. the good ones should lead to that kind of average.

With fed rolls you will NEVER average that many in dimes...

I think you made a mistake my friend.

~Dave
Regardless I need a break. Suffice it to say by the time I get back from vacation next month Loomis will have their "Monopoly" on halves here fully set- too deep for ME to wanna dig back through again. Percentages have really fallen off and the cycles are showing no change. I am only doing the dimes to make sure I don't piss away my hunting money before vacation. I had thoughts of hoarding copper but I imagine all the banks that sold ME 1K a week in halves would balk at ordering ME 40 boxes of pennies haha, a roomful of Rydales for 800 boxes a week- imagine the dumps, no thanks haha. HH Mark

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
You go through more coin than my poor little mind can comprehend. But nevertheless... if you actually got sick of halves... than by all means move on to dimes... whatever keeps the silver coming in is what you should be doing. Each little silver dime wafer is a hedge against our pathetic economy and dollar which will soon be worth less than the cotton it is printed on... so stock up in any size shape or form you can.

~Dave

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Volume is the key with dimes. You will not get rich but you will find silver. If I spent $1k a week I would pull 500+ dimes in one year, based on a 2 month average.
Alot of work.

AMC

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
I mean... 9 POINT whatever dimes per 10,000 dimes is decent as far as silver goes these days, but if you can roll that money into HALF boxes instead.... the money adds up faster and bigger.

Halves trump dimes.

~Dave

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
BBcardsRI said:
I mean... 9 POINT whatever dimes per 10,000 dimes is decent as far as silver goes these days, but if you can roll that money into HALF boxes instead.... the money adds up faster and bigger.

Halves trump dimes.

~Dave
I got back into this in 2008 after a 30-yr break, and I have found that boxes of halves blow here. Scored 1 40% in 7 boxes. Random boxes over a 4 month period . Depressing. No thanks.

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
A single 40% in seven boxes... SHIT that even makes MY numbers look good!

Did you order all the boxes from the same bank? Same delivery... Brinks? CWI?

I don't see how one person gets all the skunks in one area and a person in another area gets dream boxes... it should all be random right? I would say keep trying if you are getting boxes delivered from the big ol' warehouses that we are getting them from too.

~Dave

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
BBcardsRI said:
A single 40% in seven boxes... #@!$%#@! that even makes MY numbers look good!

I don't see how one person gets all the skunks in one area and a person in another area gets dream boxes... it should all be random right? I would say keep trying if you are getting boxes delivered from the big ol' warehouses that we are getting them from too.

~Dave
I used to have to drive over that Jamestown bridge in RI, coming from Mich when I was working for a defense contractor there. (Ratheon).
It seems that all the banks here are supplied by String and Son. No luck after Feb 08 on a box that I poached. I have ordered from only 2 diff banks in this area, but I think that they all are serviced by the same supplier. All I know is that they are worthless.

AMC

OP
OP
Silver Stripe

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
The best part of this hobby for ME was I need hunting money, the more I had the easier the hunt and the more I could hunt. I went from eating 3 fast food meals a day and living paycheck to paycheck to as of late dumping 3K every single day to keep from getting burried. Several monthes ago I realized my "hobby" had become a job but I couldn't afford to quit, now the averages are such that I would do good to cover gas $$ and pay for a pizza. Certain things "have" to happen every day for my system to work, something comes up- sorry I can't. So its time to quit and enjoy whats left of my summer. Sure I'll still do some hunting on the side.
I used to do alot of gold prospecting till I got burned out on it- sold my dredge, guy is coming to pick it up end of next month so I'm gonna take it out for one last fling and get some yella metal. I'll let ya know how the dimes work out in quantity. HH Mark

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Silver Stripe said:
The best part of this hobby for ME was I need hunting money, the more I had the easier the hunt and the more I could hunt. I went from eating 3 fast food meals a day and living paycheck to paycheck to as of late dumping 3K every single day to keep from getting burried. Several monthes ago I realized my "hobby" had become a job but I couldn't afford to quit, now the averages are such that I would do good to cover gas $$ and pay for a pizza. Certain things "have" to happen every day for my system to work, something comes up- sorry I can't. So its time to quit and enjoy whats left of my summer. Sure I'll still do some hunting on the side.
I used to do alot of gold prospecting till I got burned out on it- sold my dredge, guy is coming to pick it up end of next month so I'm gonna take it out for one last fling and get some yella metal. I'll let ya know how the dimes work out in quantity. HH Mark
Man I'd love to try prospecting, but my day job pays too much!

The best of luck to ya!!

AMC

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First congrats on your 1 year anniversary. 42 boxes last week......90 for July.......your a machine Mark!!! Now that is hustling dude. I hope you have as much success with the dimes as you did the halves. You have been very persistent and that is what it takes in this hobby to be successful....kudos. I wish you all the luck!!

I know what you mean about burnout & the cycles too. I went through that late last year and took about a 2-3 month break. It wears your body down. Sounds like you could use a rest.

You better not forget about us here either buddy......I have enjoyed all of the PM's detailing your exploits...and your fancy stack work...your still the champ....ha!

Keep us posted on those dimes.

OP
OP
Silver Stripe

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Thanks LJ. I'm still short of 1K by 60+ but I'll get there eventually hunting on the side. Maybe them dimes will show ME some love haha. Next question is what will I do with my extra time- get a life maybe haha.
HH and continued success to all, Mark

OP
OP
Silver Stripe

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
If I hadn't started the shutdown process yesterday my schedule would have been:
Today 12 boxes, Mon 8 boxes, Tue 2 boxes, Wed 8 boxes, Thur 6 boxes, Fri 8-12, Sat 12.
As it is now I've got 12 today, 2 on Mon, 2 on Tue, 2 on Wed, 3K dimes on Thur, 2 on Fri, and a buttload of dimes next Saturday. Makes ME feel better just thinking about it. HH all, Mark

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BBcardsRI said:
A single 40% in seven boxes... #@!$%#@! that even makes MY numbers look good!

~Dave

Brinks holds em....rerolls and sends em back out to the first bank in its that asks for em.....no point in shipping.....so you will eventually find a few of the same ones you dropped off from them within 2 months.

50centman

Feb 25, 2008
Mark,
I try to pick up dimes when I'm on my regular routes. Used to get one box every week or so until this April when I decide to get serious for awhile. Some weeks I'll average two a box, some weeks less. I wanted to see if it was possible to get 25-50 per week and to see if there might be a cache out there and also to see if I could find a 50 mercs. It's been fun and I guess that's the main thing. Still 5 mercs short but it's been a fun ride! I'm still amazed everytime I see one of those little silver edges staring at me. Go for it and best of luck!!

Larry

OP
OP
Silver Stripe

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Thanks Larry. That was my thinking, maybe there's a nice cache out there. This year doing halves I noticed I did better the more boxes I picked up at once, most would be skunks or close to it but generally at least one box would have some ouncages to make up for them. Maybe it will work on the dimes. I really hate them dimes, the box I bought yesterday was mainly to see what kind of roll I had to look forward to without having to ask- the worst kind, paper machine rolls- tighter than chinese handcuffs haha. Thursdays dimes will come from a different source and be the coin condoms, need to measure my cart and see how many boxes I can fit on end in it- I ordered 12 boxes as I was sure that many would fit and that was already a 3K pickup. Good luck on them 5 more mercs. HH Mark

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Stripe said:
If I hadn't started the shutdown process yesterday my schedule would have been:
Today 12 boxes, Mon 8 boxes, Tue 2 boxes, Wed 8 boxes, Thur 6 boxes, Fri 8-12, Sat 12.
As it is now I've got 12 today, 2 on Mon, 2 on Tue, 2 on Wed, 3K dimes on Thur, 2 on Fri, and a buttload of dimes next Saturday. Makes ME feel better just thinking about it. HH all, Mark

Good gosh Mark......no wonder you need a break. I am really surprised you have kept that pace up for so long. Although I understand what you were doing and I totally agree with the concept.

Like I said......your a machine....running on those energizer bunny batteries....you just keep going and going and going and going and going.......

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Wierd that this is the post that see first on when I am getting on here to tell about my first dime finds. I dont like dimes but I think with the $50 i purchased we made some neat finds. Nothing to quit my job over but I couldnt find anyone to sell me halves today.

Ian

OP
OP
Silver Stripe

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
Night before last I had 2 boxes of halves- both skunks. Yesterday I had 2 boxes to pickup, not wanting to endure another silverless hunt I scavenged a box of dimes- not even one in the dimes, hope the multiple boxes theory pays off haha. Fortunately the halves held some silver. Got 2 boxes of halves to pickup today- doubt I will do any dime scavenging as I've got 12 boxes of them lil buggars to pickup tomarrow and no halves.
HH Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread