1992-S Kennedy Half Dollar

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
The silver ones are 90%. Check the rim. You could try the sound test if it is not in good shape, such as clanging it against a clad while in your hand to see if it sounds the same as when you clang a 90% Kennedy against a clad. If it is in good shape, don't clang it against another coin. The rim should be a dead giveaway though. I found one of these a while back. I found a 2006 S silver recently, but it is all scratched up on the obverse.

Jim

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
You can't miss a newer silver proof - should be a white-silver rim- no copper showing.
You can get a Dansco album with spaces for silver proofs.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find, but to answer your question; proofs and other NIFC (Not Intended for Circulation) coins typically don't have spots in folders for them.

TXTIM's suggestion should work; but that's why you won't find a spot for your coin in the typical Whitman blue folders.

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
I've only found like 2 S mint halves myself out my many boxes so far... and both were from the days of yore before they made silver S as well as clad S.

But yea... people already gave you all your answers.

The rim would be all silver if it is silver coin... or copper looking if it is clad. Unless someone took a dump on it and then puked up some bubble-yum and threw the half into that and stepped on it nice and long, than that should be sufficient to tell if it is silver or not (the rim).

There is no spot for it because it is NIFC which means not intended for circuclation. Whitman folders and others only make spots for coins that you can get in "circulation". Which is a weird ass term for halves ANYWAY since they are never in circulation... hence us all needing to ORDER boxes of them.

Anywho... grats on the proof... whether it be silver or clad, as long as it is in unscratched condition I would keep it (keep it in ANY condition if it is silver).

~Dave

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
According to the Red Book 90% Silver proofs were reintroduced in 1992. none were minted between 1965 - 1991 with the exception of 1976 Bicentennial versions with both 40% & 90% variety that year.

Mojo

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
I really would like to run across some of those silver Bicent. you know? Would really spruce up the collection of halves... my clad Bicent. are so... boring and dull... no luster... no... tarnish =)

~Dave

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
coinmojo said:
According to the Red Book 90% Silver proofs were reintroduced in 1992. none were minted between 1965 - 1991 with the exception of 1976 Bicentennial versions with both 40% & 90% variety that year.

Mojo

I am pretty sure that the silver Bicentennials were only minted in 40% silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread