new question

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
A FED box is a box of coin you get from the bank in FED rolls.

Fed rolls being the white rip an tear non-reusable wrappers. The same types of wrappers that the brand new state quarters... and brand new 2008 pennies and such arrive at banks in.

The box is labeled in denomination and total value... $25 for pennies... $500 for quarters and halves, etc.

Fed rolls and customer rolls are really all you see... though the "fed" rolls can also be rolls that the bank makels on the spot if they have their own coin rolling and wrapping machine.

Fed rolls completely eliminate your shot at finding a lot of silver in a single roll and naturally from finding a solid silver roll. Customer rolls are better than Fed because you never know when granny will cash in coin stash that is hundreds in face of silver. =)

~Dave

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
BBcardsRI said:
Fed rolls completely eliminate your shot at finding a lot of silver in a single roll and naturally from finding a solid silver roll.
~Dave
They do? I'm glad I'm not getting your boxes. Better go back and read some "Dream Box" posts.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
BBcardsRI said:
Fed rolls completely eliminate your shot at finding a lot of silver in a single roll and naturally from finding a solid silver roll.
~Dave

This is not true. I once had a Brink's roll that had 14- 40%s plus one 90% in one roll. I have had other rolls with anywhere from 5-9 silver coins. Although rare these days, they do sometimes occur.

Jim

soldierman

May 18, 2006
I have also had a brinks box that had 2 or three rolls that had 10-12 40% in one roll. Unfortunatly it was all in the top layer and almost no silver was in the bottom half of the box. There was however over 100 silver in just the top half of that box.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
The term Fed roll is used loosely here.
A true Fed (Federal) roll would be one directly from the mint.
Machine wrapped rolls from CWI and Brinks are also referred to as Fed rolls by many on this forum.
They come in sealed boxes of $500 usually delivered by armored car services like Loomis, Brinks, Dunbar, etc. to the bank.
A true Fed roll from the mint is a good thing - the mint charges a lot more than face value for those rolls - silver or not.
Machine wrapped rolls are a crap shoot as are CWR's (customer wrapped rolls).
Bags off machines are the same way.
If you happen to find a bank with dusty vaults that have accumulated CWR's over the ages, you will probably find a good bit of silver.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
TXTim said:
The term Fed roll is used loosely here.
A true Fed (Federal) roll would be one directly from the mint.
Machine wrapped rolls from CWI and Brinks are also referred to as Fed rolls by many on this forum.
They come in sealed boxes of $500 usually delivered by armored car services like Loomis, Brinks, Dunbar, etc. to the bank.
A true Fed roll from the mint is a good thing - the mint charges a lot more than face value for those rolls - silver or not.

TXTim,

I have found that some bank tellers don't even understand this. They think the coins come from the fed reserve, and that Brink's etc., only picks them up and delivers them. I guess they think this because the bank's account is through the fed, and if a bag of coins that the bank sends in is short or over, the fed contacts them and makes adjustments on their accounts.

If a person goes on the websites of some of the big names, Brinks, Dunbar, PSI armored, etc., some say that they are an fed approved contractor to handle all the banks money needs such as delivery of bills, coins, re-rolling, etc. Now maybe at times large amounts of coins are ordered from the fed (ballistic bags, etc.) by coin companies, but normally they do it all themselves.

I may be off on this, but really there are no fed rolls at all. The US mint that sells rolls of coins (like the president dollars, NIFC halves, etc.) is a separate entity from the fed. The US mint is actually a gov department/agency, where the fed reserve is a private organization that is not a part of the US gov.
While the fed sets policy regarding interest rates, etc., it is the US mint that produces the cash and coins.

Jim

sfwusc

Mar 20, 2008
fed reserve is NOT a private organization that is a part of the US gov.

1. There board is appointed by the president and approved by the senate.
2. All their power comes from an act of Congress.
3. All profits other than a 6% dividend on some preferred like stock issued to commerical banks goes to the U.S. Treasury.

So if you have control and a majority increase in the profits, then I would say you are the defacto owner.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/generalinfo/faq/faqfrs.htm

-SWUSC

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
In my opinion Fed boxes are completely random. You stand the chance of getting skunked or hitting it big. I am not sure how they get the coins in the rolls but I imagine large bins of half dollars being funneled onto a conveyor or something. If grandpa's stash was large and somehow was shipped off to the Fed then you might be the lucky one that gets many of those Silvers in a Box. I think it is wise to get the hand rolls but at the same time pick up boxes in several areas. This way you stand a chance of getting someones complete stash in hand rolls while still finding the silver shipped off from the banks you have not gotten to yet in the Fed Boxes. It is too bad we can not win em all. If I could stop off at every bank in Virginia everyday to see if they got in any new half dollars I would do it just to ensure I did not miss one. Haha...I think I am addicted.

-Golden Silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread