Nickels pay off big ;)

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Went to four banks on the way home today and asked for customer rolled dimes and nickels.

Ended up buying just over $500 in coin with about 150-200 being nickels. Talked to a couple of the tellers who know me from me coming in so much and one of them mentioned some rolls being so old that he had to reroll them so they didn't fall apart, I told him I would take all the old ones he got in with the hopes of some silver dimes.

Well...

Not a SINGLE silver dime out of the green rolls, an' up until the last like 20 nickel rolls I only had a dozen 1940's/50's nickels in the keeper pile.

But then I must of hit the rolls the teller was talking about because out popped the old stuff.
War nickels rolled out by the dozen as I got rolls that had 5 coins from the 60's and 70's with everthing else being 30's/40's/50's.

Must of been 8-9 rolls like that.

I ended up with 3 buffalo nickels (the first and only buffalo nickels I have found from hand rolls): a 1937, and what looks like a 1934-d but isn't TOTALLY legible and the third was un-readable and NINETY-EIGHT war nickels... yep 98. It was a sweet little war nickel score. I also ended up with multiple rolls of old non-silver nickels and filled a few more spots in my nickel folder (1938-D, 1955, etc.)... not too many more to go now.

All in all it was a very enjoyable haul to look through.

~Dave

Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great haul Dave. Over two rolls of war nickels is insane! Any 43-D's? Grats on the buffies too.

wiedz

Jun 14, 2008
Iowa
Great score!! Still waiting on my first buffalo. I really wish any of the banks around here had customer wrapped rolls. Unfortunately every bank I've hit up demands that when you turn coins in they run them through their counter. Which means if you bring in rolls you've done yourself they just rip them open right there and run them through the machine.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
wiedz said:
Great score!! Still waiting on my first buffalo. I really wish any of the banks around here had customer wrapped rolls. Unfortunately every bank I've hit up demands that when you turn coins in they run them through their counter. Which means if you bring in rolls you've done yourself they just rip them open right there and run them through the machine.

Ask to buy the bag off the machine.

Mojo

OP
OP
BBcardsRI

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Thanks! =)

I actually just found the piece of paper I was writing on as I went through them.

The war nickels broke down like this:

7 - 42' P
1 - 42' S
38 - 43' P
12 - 43' S
2 - 44' D
16 - 44'P
4 - 45' S
1 - 45' D
17 - 45' P

The nickels I needed for my book were:

1955, 1940-S, 1941-D, 1938-D, and 1953-S as well as a couple of the war nickels. I still need like 11 of the lower mintages for the nickel book to be complete. Finding the nickels to be quite hard in comparison to other modern day coin sets to complete.

~Dave

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BBcardsRI said:
Finding the nickels to be quite hard in comparison to other modern day coin sets to complete.

Huh?

I guess it depends on what you consider modern day coin sets.

For nickels I am assuming you go back to 1938 so for other denominations I am assuming the following years.

For pennies 1909
For dimes 1946
For quarters 1932
For halves 1964
For dollars ????

If I was going to rank the difficulty out of circulation.. here's my order starting with the easiest to complete
Halves
Nickels
Dimes
Pennies
Quarters

Dollars would be near the top near halves, but it depends on which series you are talking about as to whether it wold be above or below Halves.

I have completed both of halves and nickels (not counting proofs) from circulation.
I have 8 silver dimes left (40 out of 48).
I have 24 wheat pennies left. (if the large/small mintmark varieties are counted separately) (118 out of 142)
I have 72 silver quarters left. (13 out of 85)

so other than halves which "modern day" coin set is easier than nickels? Dimes.... maybe... I guess I do look through more nickels than dimes so I suppose dimes could be at least close to equal. Pennies, definitely harder and the same thing for quarters. Ike dollars are somewhat tough to locate and there are a couple of semi low to mintage pieces.

OP
OP
BBcardsRI

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
I would surely put dimes ahead of nickels, at least from my own experiences. I fully agree with dollars/halves being easiest.

Pennies vs. nickels is tough to decide... I might be in the same boat with you on that one as far as volume goes in that I have gone through a LOT of pennies in my day which might have skewed things a abit in my perspective... not sure.

And quarters are quite hard hard...

Thanks for the reply.

~Dave

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
That is one totally awesome War Nickel hoard! You probably have the nickel hoard of the year locked up there.

I totally agree with GMan. If by "modern" you mean same design currently in circulation than the order in my experience and from what I've read on a couple of forums is.

[still doable, have read about multiple people doing these two in recent years]
Kennedy Halves (mint set halves can take a while to find)
Nickels (all keys, plus the 43D can take a while to find)

[have only read about a handful of people completing in recent years]
Roosevelt Dimes

[never heard of anyone completing recently, can't imagine]
Lincoln Pennies
Washington Quarters

I'm not sure where to place dollars. I easily completed my Ike album, except for the 1973 & 1973D. I've found it hard to get large quantities of these. I haven't heard of many people trying to find SBA's or Sac's, but I'm actively trying.

My Dansco albums so far:

Lincoln Pennies (need 38)
Jefferson Nickels (need 3 (includes 2008P))
Roosevelt Dimes (need 8 (includes 2008P&D))
Washington Quarters (need many, have probably only found a dozen or so silver varieties)
Kennedy Halves (need 2 (includes (2008P&D))
Eisenhower Dollars (need 2)
SBA Dollars (need 1)
Sacagawea Dollars (need 6 (includes 2008P&D))

Brian

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent haul there BB !

I guess this makes you a "war" hero. 8)

Mucho kudos

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Outstanding haul BB!

Nice job on the 38-D and 55 -those are tough.

I agree with GMan and Kestralia on degrees of difficulty.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
WOnderful results. Probably once in a lifetime results. Congrats

OP
OP
BBcardsRI

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Thanks for the replies.

It seems hard enough to fill any book, even the new ones, let alone an entire set of books for a denomination of coin. There always seems to be that one coin that just WON'T let itself be found to finish off the book. Just recently I needed a 2004-D dime to finish a book and it took hundreds and hundreds in dimes to find one which was really odd, and then with halves, I needed a 2001-P to finish a book and couldn't find one for the life of me. I went through boxes and boxes of halves checking the shiny rims for NIFC as I hunted for silver and would find a TON of 2001-D but not a single P. I finally checked every date in one of my boxes and found a single 2001-P in there.... crazy stuff!

~Dave

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a fighting chance of completing the Jefferson nickel set again this year (I completed it in 2006)... although I haven't compiled the full list of the bag I searched last night, I know I found a 1950-D (THE key date of the Jefferson series).

so with that I am down to 2 or 3 Jefferson varieties that I haven't found in 2008. I believe one is a 1938 (can't remember if its a D or S, 99% sure it is an S), 1943-D, and possibly a 1939 with a mintmark (can't remember for sure).

Over the past 3-4 years since I got into actively hunting, the 1950-D, I believe, completes my second set of nickels (only the 1938-S is a question mark, but I believe I have found multiple copies just have to verify). I had found multiples of everything else, but not 1950-D. I will look when I get home.

Your War Nickel hoard is also the second best hoard I have heard found. Congrats. I had one that just barely beat yours last year. 100 War Nickels in about 75% of a box, but I didn't get any buffalos.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, thats a lot of war nickels

HH
-GC

Top Member Reactions