All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
There's a place in Houston that will buy for 10% under spot - any quantity.

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Have you looked into selling to a local coin/jewelry dealer? With selling online you can run into shipping fees... commisions, etc. Especially with a site like ebay... :P

I haven't sold mine yet, though I am preparing to. However, a friend of mine sold his not long ago to a coin dealer he knows fairly well who outright admitted that he didn't really want them for $1.25 a piece, and then sold his second batch to a new coin dealer we ran into who seems to have the best prices in the state for $2.00 a piece. Naturally it depends on how many you have... $2 seems like a decent price for like a couply rolls of 40%, and you might be able to go even higher than $2 if you have like 5-10 or more rolls of 40%.

Those are just my thoughts and experiences on the issue.

Good luck selling!

~Dave

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I took 8 rolls of 40% halves to the local dealer. Said he'd pay 75 cents each. Friday I traveled 30 miles to a central dealer that said he'd give $1.85 ea, and for $100 face 40% he'd pay a premium, or $2 each (I kept 'em).
I also asked about purchasing bulk silver coin, and he quoted me spot + 1.5% premium.

AMC

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
I have not been able to find anyone in the Puget Sound Area whoose buying 40%. $0.75 seems like a ripoff...but if noone else is buying, that is the price I guess...I would happily pay $2 each, as that is way less than melt, and I am stashing everything away for the looooooooong term...

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
STDevil said:
I have not been able to find anyone in the Puget Sound Area whoose buying 40%. $0.75 seems like a ripoff...but if noone else is buying, that is the price I guess...I would happily pay $2 each, as that is way less than melt, and I am stashing everything away for the looooooooong term...
75 cents ea is a ripoff, but if you're the only game in town...this same dealer had a sack of Morgans for $15 ea, so I bought 12 nice ones.

AMC

solariscool

Dec 21, 2007
STDevil said:

Time to ship it off. Kitco is paying $2.10 per 40%.

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I send them in in bulk, I get 96% of melt, but have a $75 refining fee.

If I refine them my self, I sell my silver off in castings and jewelry for $70 per ounce to $100 But the refining is about $20 in chemicals and a few hours of time.

If I melt them into crude bullion bars after refining them, I can get about $26 to $30 per ounce on Ebay.

And here is some valuable and free advice if you want to find lots of 40s. Call the local coin shops and see what they are paying, If it is ridiculously low like 75 cents each, defiantly check the banks as most people dont sell too the dealer and spend or deposit them. cheap or greedy coin dealers make for great areas for CRHers.
If a local coin dealer has a bad rap, no one goes too him. People would rather deposit then sell too someone like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread