Gold, Baby! (no joke)

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
Last night I had what might be my best CRH moment ... and it happened while searching pennies! As I was about to pour out and search one hand-rolled roll of pennies, I noticed a bulge in the roll, one of the coins in the roll was obviously not a US penny. I immediately assumed it was a British penny. That's what such bulges usually are. It took me a while to work the mystery coin out. It turned out to be something goldish with the date 1915 on it. Could it be? I compared the color of the coin to my wedding ring (which is 18K gold) and it matched. I searched online and found several (in better condition) coins that looked just like mine. They gave a weight. I snuck upstairs (my son was sleeping), got my coin scale and weighed it. All checked out! I can't believe it.

The coins is, obviously, the only gold coin I've found. It is also the most valuable and maybe the oldest foreign coin I've found (it just beats a 1920 Canadian penny I found). According to my research, it is .987 find gold and has .349 grams of gold. Some EBay auction results I've seen lead me to believe it is worth around $100. The melt value of it is currently about $100.

I found the following description of the coin online:

Austrian 1915 One Ducat

Ducats were issued by Austria in 1612, and probably earlier. The last regular issue of ducats was in 1914. All the ducats dated 1915 are restrikes, of which there were 996,721 struck between 1920 and 1936. One ducat coins dated 1915 are still being produced by the Austrian Mint as official restrikes.
Franz Joseph I was born in 1848, and died in 1916.

Obverse

The laureate head, facing right, of Emperor Franz Joseph I
FRANC IOS I D G AUSTRIAE IMPERATOR

Reverse

The arms of Austria superimposed upon a crowned double-headed Imperial eagle.
HUNGAR BOHEM GAL LOD ILL REX A A 1915

High Carat Gold

Ducats were produced in high purity gold, 233/4 carats, making them among the highest purity gold coins ever issued for circulation.

I only wish I could be certain how old it really is.

I also broke out of a 12 box silver skunk streak for one of my half dollar source banks. The 13th box produced 1 90%'er and 4 40%'ers. The 90%'er was one I need to, a fairly decent 1941S.

Good luck all!

Brian

Attachments

• 1ducat.jpg
    1ducat.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 916
  • 1941Swalker.JPG
    1941Swalker.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 894
Upvote 0

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Wow... that must have been an awesome experience.

Grats!

This is actually a believable gold coin story... as opposed to some others I have heard.

Nice work.

~Dave

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
There's gold in 'dem 'dar rolls, huh Brian ?

Awesome find and that makes you today's "golden boy". 8)

Great way to start the weekend and thanks for sharing.

Much kudos and enjoy the rush !

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
Silver Stripe said:
Thats the second gold coin I heard of coming out of a roll. Major congrats. ME next please haha. HH Mark
Yea I remember someone finding one last year, I think in a quarter roll. That is just awesome. And to think I can't find just one Barber.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is definitely banner material. WTG Brian! From now on your blog (which I love reading) should be "cheap, gold and happy"!

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find. Doesn't a gold coin automatically qualify for "BANNER". If that don't, nothing will. Congrats.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This totally awesome Brian!!! Mucho congrats. Like Mark mentioned above, this is the 2nd time that I know of that a gold coin while found while CRH'ing......that just seems so unreal to me.

Yes......I agree......banner material for sure.

Again...Kudos Brian.....nicely done!!!

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Wow! Congradualtions on the gold coin find!

Welcome to the club, I found a 1/4 ounce gold eagle in a quarter roll last fall, its a golden feeling.

HH!

-CC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread