Fed pulling copper cents?

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
My son searched about 6 boxes worth of cents, and found only a dozen copper pre-'82 cents. That's like crazy low. And they were bagged from Walmart and McDonalds, so nobody had a chance to go thru the bags.
Is anyone else finding that the pre-'82s area going away fast? I'm getting fewer and fewer in change as well. I know some people are saving them, but this is crazy.

I've done a little CRHing here and there for silver, but most of it is dried up around here. That's why I don't post much anymore, it's depressing to search for 3 months and find 4 - 40%ers and nothing else.

I found an antique store that was selling the 40% halves for $2 each, so that's not a bad deal.

My son's store is right next to a snow-cone store, in the same building. They let him go thru all of their change for copper pennies and silver, so he's lucky there. Found a little bling.

Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Scott.......good to hear from you again. Hope all has been well with you and Mrs. Scott.

On to the copper pennies.....my husband searchs pennies and just last week got a box that had only 7-8 if I remember correctly. It was an very, very low number but that was the only one like that he has come across.

Do you still have that stamp collection?

taterchips

Jan 21, 2008
I was hunting pennies a lot this Summer before I moved (to Mississippi).

It started out fine, normal copper numbers for the first 20 or so boxes. Then, I got a skunkish box. It appeared to have no copper at all (I didn't search it all the way through). Then I got 2 boxes that were even stranger. Most of the rolls had only zinc, while the others had normal numbers, in other words, 30 or so rolls were all zinc, while 20 were good rolls with 5-20 coppers.

Not sure what to make of it, but there are skunk boxes out there for sure!

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am halfway through a Brinks sealed box and NO coppers yet! I have slowed down and am using a loup, and have several double dies and other error pennies I would have never found if I had just been pulling out the copper.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Weigh before opening- 14 lbs= skunk
A lot of people pulling copper these days...
Me included :o

Santo10

Jul 8, 2008
I got a Brinks box last week that had only 15 coppers in the box....really sucked. I doubt the Fed is pulling them, probably just the results of the Ryedale and others like us pulling copper.

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
scotto said:
My son searched about 6 boxes worth of cents, and found only a dozen copper pre-'82 cents. That's like crazy low. And they were bagged from Walmart and McDonalds, so nobody had a chance to go thru the bags.
Is anyone else finding that the pre-'82s area going away fast? I'm getting fewer and fewer in change as well. I know some people are saving them, but this is crazy.

I've done a little CRHing here and there for silver, but most of it is dried up around here. That's why I don't post much anymore, it's depressing to search for 3 months and find 4 - 40%ers and nothing else.

I found an antique store that was selling the 40% halves for $2 each, so that's not a bad deal.

My son's store is right next to a snow-cone store, in the same building. They let him go thru all of their change for copper pennies and silver, so he's lucky there. Found a little bling.
dont kno why.i tried crh in ark on the way home from LBH2 equal skunko

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
cyberdan said:
scotto said:
Go and buy all you can. Todays silver value is $2.56 each. :thumbsup:

Melt value of silver content on 40%s does not equate with what you can get for them when you sell. Right at this moment you can get approx $2.37 apiece if you sell a $1000 face "junk bag" to Apmex. Most dealers pay far less when you walk in with a few coins and no real numbers. Buying them up at $2.00 could provide a sort of "arbitrage" situation if you could buy large numbers at that price perhaps.

Jim

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim4silver said:
Melt value of silver content on 40%s does not equate with what you can get for them when you sell.
True, right now my coin dealer will only pay $2.10 each but silver is a bit low. When silver hit $20.66 back in March he was paying $2.51. Silver will go up and down again. I am holding for the future.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread