Another $50-60 in Nickels

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
I've been hooked back on nickels since that sweet war nickel hoard from last week that I posted about.

This batch produces another 2 war nicks for the stash: 44-P and 45-D.

The decent mintages were as follows: 1960 (57.1 mil), 1942 (49.8 mil) 1957 (39.6 mil), 1952-D w(30.6 mil), 1959 (28.4 mil), 1951-D (20.5 mil) and the real KICKER: 1958 (18 million).

Still needed that 1958 for my book, so it brought the tally down to the single digits (just 9 left!) needed to complete that darn nickel book.

Also dug out the newest nickel book that starts in like... 96 or 97 or something and filled that up(it only had 2 coints in it) all they to 08 P and D, minus one: I didn't find a SINGLE 03-D in the 50+ dollars of nickels! This kind of thing ALWAYS happens with my books... one high mintage coin defies all odds with being found. With dimes it was 2004-D which I finally tracked down after over 300 dollars worth of those little wafers. And yes... I check EVERY date clearly.

~Dave

Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds!

Consider me hooked too! Six months of pennies and I'm ready for a change.

I say we start a little competish here. I'm down to ten dates left for the series - 38-S, 39-D, 42-P, 43-D, 45-P, 45-D, 49-S, 50-P, 50-D, 55-P - so you're ahead at the moment Dave.

May the best Rhode Islander win! (I grew up in Woonsocket, 1968-1985; born in Pawtucket - Go Sawx!)

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's going to be tough beating your last cache of war nickels.....that was an awesome find...
I've been looking through nickels, too.....finding one or two each week isn't bad..
The halves have been really slow.....
Good Luck!!

Joe

OP
OP
BBcardsRI

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
It is 35%.

I do have some 40% in that side bar... but it also says this towards the top/middle: "Nickels: 105 - 35% War Nickels"

Perhaps you were looking at the halves or something on that side bar?

Yea... that was a sick war nickel stash... I won't even dare to dream of topping it ever, but it is nice to find even one or two in a batch... and it is even more fun to knock off a nickel from the whitman folder.

As far as the 35% in war nicks... the silver worth is about 1 dollar a war nick... which is quite nice considering the 5 cent face value... but I talked to my coin guy today and he said he only pays a small fraction of the 1 dollar, because even when he sells them in bulk he gets well below the 1 dollar per coin himself. He was quite surprised when I questioned his prices on war nicks since I told him it was 1 dollar in silver he didn't believe me till he saw my math on it. Then he started to think his guy was screwing him when it came to them. But we both concluded it might just be that they are either hard to sell or hard to melt down to silver compared to the 90% stuff.

Anyone else find similar results with coin/jewelry shop owners offers on them?

~Dave

P.S. and Joe... I've got a TON of boxes coming in later this week... at least a ton more than I am used to looking through. So I hope that changes the grim look we Rhode Islanders have had on those halves lately. I bank hopped for some a couple days ago and rounded up 2 40%... but it wasn't worth the gas blown on them.

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BBcardsRI said:
It is 35%.

I do have some 40% in that side bar... but it also says this towards the top/middle: "Nickels: 105 - 35% War Nickels"

Perhaps you were looking at the halves or something on that side bar?

Yea... that was a sick war nickel stash... I won't even dare to dream of topping it ever, but it is nice to find even one or two in a batch... and it is even more fun to knock off a nickel from the whitman folder.

As far as the 35% in war nicks... the silver worth is about 1 dollar a war nick... which is quite nice considering the 5 cent face value... but I talked to my coin guy today and he said he only pays a small fraction of the 1 dollar, because even when he sells them in bulk he gets well below the 1 dollar per coin himself. He was quite surprised when I questioned his prices on war nicks since I told him it was 1 dollar in silver he didn't believe me till he saw my math on it. Then he started to think his guy was screwing him when it came to them. But we both concluded it might just be that they are either hard to sell or hard to melt down to silver compared to the 90% stuff.

Anyone else find similar results with coin/jewelry shop owners offers on them?

~Dave

P.S. and Joe... I've got a TON of boxes coming in later this week... at least a ton more than I am used to looking through. So I hope that changes the grim look we Rhode Islanders have had on those halves lately. I bank hopped for some a couple days ago and rounded up 2 40%... but it wasn't worth the gas blown on them.

A Ton??? I can't imagine how many that is supposed to mean........hopefully they will be motherloads.....yeah..right...
I saw in the newspaper last week...an ad buying coins and they were offering $26 for a roll of war nickels....I'll hold on to them......just keep pluggin away......

Joe

OP
OP
BBcardsRI

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Yea.. 26 a roll is only 65% of spot. Much below the percentage you will see when selling 90% silver coinage.

A "TON" of boxes is like I said... at least a ton on MY budget lol. Normally I only do 4-8 boxes a week, and I split those with a friend, so I really only do half that. This week I have 18 boxes coming, and I get to bust and keep all the silver myself... no splitting... so it should be a fun end of the week busting that many boxes. Still doesn't come close to touching the 40-50 box weeks that some people around here do. But it is the best I can muster, lol.

I wouldn't dare to dream of a motherload... my DREAM is to average like 10 keepers a box. Which I doubt with my luck is possible. Then again... some people get the 180 keepers that would give me out of two boxes lmao.

Time will tell.

~Dave

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Immy said:
Great finds!

Consider me hooked too! Six months of pennies and I'm ready for a change.

I say we start a little competish here. I'm down to ten dates left for the series - 38-S, 39-D, 42-S, 43-D, 45-P, 45-D, 49-S, 50-P, 50-D, 55-P - so you're ahead at the moment Dave.

May the best Rhode Islander win! (I grew up in Woonsocket, 1968-1985; born in Pawtucket - Go Sawx!)

Can I join the competition too... ;D I am down to 3 to complete the nickel book this year. 1938-S, 1939-D, 1943-D

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BBcardsRI said:
.. the silver worth is about 1 dollar a war nick... which is quite nice considering the 5 cent face value... but I talked to my coin guy today and he said he only pays a small fraction of the 1 dollar, because even when he sells them in bulk he gets well below the 1 dollar per coin himself.

My coin store is the same way. He never pays close to silver value on 5¢ and he pays good on all 90 & 40% Maybe when they are melted it costs more to pull out the silver from the nickel.

OP
OP
BBcardsRI

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Thanks for the input Dan.

And Gman... I think you might have a wee-bit too much of a jump on us to join the competition. But I won't stop you... not like we have a prize going or anything. =)

Good luck!

~Dave

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BBcardsRI said:
Thanks for the input Dan.

And Gman... I think you might have a wee-bit too much of a jump on us to join the competition. But I won't stop you... not like we have a prize going or anything. =)

Good luck!

~Dave

lol... Jan 1, 2008 was the same in RI and LV was it not? :wink: Where is my advantage? lol

OP
OP
BBcardsRI

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Well first of all, I didn't start my nickel book on the first of the year. So it isn't so much when we started.

It's more of like when we will end. Think of it this way... if you are running a 1,000 meter race with someone and you are starting at 1,000 meters from the finish (10 nickels) would it be fair to accept a race with someone who starts at 300 meters (3 nickels) from the finish line?

Me and Immy were only 1 nickel or 100 metaphorical meters apart. Still not even, but at least CLOSE. You are not so close. =)

But like I said... you are more than welcome to join our friendly competition. I'm down to 7 by the way. =)

~Dave

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With my recent find of the 1938-S.... I am now down to 2 left... 1939-D and 1943-D.

OP
OP
BBcardsRI

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
38-S... sweet find.

Haven't gone through any nickels in the past few days so I'm stalemated right now.

Good luck on those last two!

~Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread