2nd Box (Bag, Really) Much Better! (pic added)

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
Got my second ever $500 bag of rolled halves. After my first was a real downer, I didn't have high hopes, but I spotted silver on a roll-end and my hopes rose considerably!

Results:

1 '64
1 '64 that looks to have been uncirculated (it's flawless and practically glows!)
1 '60 (my first Ben)
1 '42

12 40%ers

All in all, the second time around was MUCH MORE SATISFYING! :D

Upvote 0

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Re: 2nd Box (Bag, Really) Much Better!

Grats! Silver silver silver! Such a joy to find it!

Confused though... a $500 BAG? and it is in rolls? Do you mean a $500 box? or a $1,000 bag?

Those are the only two I am familiar with... a cardboard box with 500 in rolls or a 1,000 bag all loose.

Maybe you have a third variant? Just curious... maybe I read it wrong or you misworded it?

~Dave

OP
OP
eathan

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used

Yeah, I can see where the confusion comes in. When I order a $500 box, I get a clear plastic bag of 50 $10 rolls with a heavy duty metal seal.

Also, thanks much!

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

eathan said:
Got my second ever $500 bag of rolled halves. After my first was a real downer, I didn't have high hope, but I spotted silver on a roll-end and my hopes rose considerably!

Results:

1 '64
1 '64 that looks to have been uncirculated (it's flawless and practically glows!)
1 '60 (my first Ben)
1 '42

12 40%ers

All in all, the second time around was MUCH MORE SATISFYING! :D

The 64 that glows is probably a proof. 1964 is the one year that they made the proofs in Philly, so there is not the usual "S" mintmark. I found one early on in my CRHing and it is preserved in an "Airtite" holder and it looks awesome.

Jim

OP
OP
eathan

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used

Jim, my first thought was that it looked like a proof, but I didn't see the S, then again there's not a P either. Did all '64 proofs bear a mint mark?

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

Just like the circulation strikes, the '64 JFK and Franklin proofs were also minted in Philly; but do not have mintmark.

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course

BBcardsRI said:
Confused though... a $500 BAG? and it is in rolls? Do you mean a $500 box? or a $1,000 bag?
All the bags here are $500 that come out of the machines.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

eathan said:
Jim, my first thought was that it looked like a proof, but I didn't see the S, then again there's not a P either. Did all '64 proofs bear a mint mark?

I don't think that any Philly coins have a P mintmark, except for some nickels??? Generally no mint mark equals Philly mint. But some don't know that on the 64 Kennedy the mint mark is on the reverse, left side below the eagle claw holding the olive branch . Later years on the obverse, lower portion.

Jim

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island

Thanks for the info. ;)

As far as the P mintmark... a nothing mintmark normally if not always means philly... but as of a certain date they started actually using the P mintmark... hence you seeing it on all your state quarters... 2008 pennies... etc. etc.

I saw a bunch of Frankies that looked like they were polished chrome or something labeled proofs at a coin shop and they had no mintmark... I found that odd but it seems to add up to what other people have said about Frankies being philly proofs and therefore no mintmark. So thanks for clearing that one up for me fellas. =)

So if what you have is a proof it should REALLY stand out. Like.... no doubt in your mind about it (unless it has been circulating a while of course). Because those Frankie proofs were 100% NOT like a normal Frankie half.

~Dave

OP
OP
eathan

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used

Thanks guys. I'm starting to collect a little late in life, and all these tips help!

I didn't know about the mint marks being on the back on the '64s, so I just checked the two I found. One was a D and the nice one has no mark.

It probably isn't a proof, but it's in great shape and was really exciting to find. It was in the very last roll. I was just opening it when the phone rang so I glanced at the open side of the roll and saw the purest stripe of silver! I flashed it to my wife just before running to grab the phone. I couldn't wait to get off the call and see what I'd found!

The pic below isn't great, but the bottom two coins are the two '64s side by side. The one on the right is still shiny and new like it'd never seen a pocket. The Franklin and walker I found are also towards the bottom.

Attachments

• coins.jpg
    coins.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 188

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread