New to hunting~Great first week~questions.

mimat

Jul 30, 2008
Questions:

Aside from pre-71's and proofs (halves), what other years/mintage/rares should I be looking for? What about the $1 Ikes? I know there were some 40% through 76', how do you identify them? Any rare Ikes? Also, any book recommendations on the subject? I have an 09' Red Book (for reference) on the way already.

The Goods:

$48 in Ike's (2 of which were hand rolled) = nada

$177 in halves (90% hand rolled, 10% loose)

45 - 40% kennedy's (2 solid rolls - woot!)
2 - 90% kennedy's
6 - Walkers

I'm hooked already! This should be a sport! LOL.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mimat

Jul 30, 2008
Oh yeah, and I found a war nickel and 5 wheats in my change bowl! :)

Great forum BTW!

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Those are some GREAT finds for searching through that amount of coin. Very lucky stuff.

Grats!

As far as your questions:

You should keep an eye out for 1987 P's and D's Kennedy's as they were made only for mint sets and are rather low mintage and thus QUITE hard to find out in the wild.

Other than that... there are some DDO error years... but I don't do errors and honestly I don't think it is AT ALL worth the time to look at every coin as closely as is necessary to find an error coin that you will never be able to sell for a profit anyway. ;) (Don't hate me error coin keepers!).

All the silver Ikes have "S" mintmakes which makes them easy to spot and are from 1971-74 and 76. The 1973 P and D Ike's are the low mintages you want to keep an eye out for.

As far as books... they are OK as a VERY VERY loose reference on value. They are good to tell you which are semi-key, or key dates as well as for mintage figures. But as far as the dollar values for coins listed.... don't trust them. They are an EXTREMELY loose guide. Every coin dealer/collector, etc. that I have sold or bought from or just talked to doesn't use them for values, nor any of the other colored books. They go buy what THEY can sell for, etc. some straight up coin guide stuff.

Hope that helps.

~Dave

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
Keep an eye out for 1974D double die obverse. I been able to sell mine for around $10 each to a coin dealer. So far I've found about 17 or so and sold about 10 of them. I also look for 1982P no "FG", 1983P double die obverse, and the 1994P double die obverse (double ear). I haven't found many of these yet but I have been saving them, eventually if I shop around long enough I will find a dealer who wants them.

Attachments

• DSC00255.JPG
    DSC00255.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC00255.JPG
    DSC00255.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 183

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread