Nazi (Silver!) Propaganda Coin w/ Hand Rolls

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
On my lunch today, I picked up a box I had ordered from a bank near my work. I asked if they had loose rolls and they said no....wait a minute....then told me they had $70 worth. I had $40 left over, so I bought 4 rolls. As I drove back to work, I opened one and found a 40%er. Then, on the third roll, I found 4 Franklins, 3 40%ers, and a really cool 1936 German coin with Paul Von Hindenburg on the obverse!! Needless to say, I went back and used the ATM for additional funds and bought the other three rolls...nothing else interesting. All seven rolls were in dated paper wrappers. One of the rolls had nothing in it but twenty 1976 commemoratives.....odd! I thought that 8 keepers was pretty darned good for coming out of a single hand roll.....especially with 4 Franklins. Then, as it turns out, the German coin is 90% silver, a 5 Reichs Mark propaganda coin. It is slightly smaller in diameter than a US half, but quite a bit thicker.
As the Grateful Dead said so well, "Goes to show, you don't ever know......"
- Grizz

Upvote 0

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Pretty cool looking coin... DEF. a sweet find.

If not for the german writing, it definately looks like it could be an American coin as far as the format of it... head on front, eagle on back... writing along the edges.

~Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions