14 year old CRHer finds 1943-S bronze cent!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRHer finds 1943-S bronze cent before most of us were even born.

1943copper.jpg

read the story http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=5020

Upvote 0

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! is there any word on whether or not he was a real CRHer? or was he just one of the poorer variety??? :wink: :wink: :wink:

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SnakemanBill said:
Nice find! is there any word on whether or not he was a real CRHer? or was he just one of the poorer variety??? :wink: :wink: :wink:
The story says his parents bought him rolls of pennies. Sounds like CRH before CRH was invented.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Coin roll hunting has been around for a long time.

I remember my Dad filling two complete sets of Wheaties when I was a kid in the sixties.
Just by bringing home a roll of cents every night that he worked.

I also remember him telling me it was the cheapest investment in the future he could make.

Dad loved his coins. And raised 5 boys and 3 girls at the same time.

Thom

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
That's one heck of a good story!
$72,000 is a lot of money for a penny!
Great return on investment!

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting this Dan.......great story. CRH'ing has been around for a loooong time.

Every once in a while I visit an guy in his sixties who was CRH'ing in his teenage days. I love hearing his stores. He is now selling off his collection so I bought some of his coins. Helping a fellow CRH so to speak....lol.

SnakemanBill said:

LOL....that's funny SMB......I like your style.....ha! :D

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My Father CHR back in the 50s and 60s, and people have been doing it before that too, Collecting coins is probably as old as coins them selves. Roll hunting for coins is of course as old as rolls.
That used to be the only way to get a collection, you went to the bank and pulled them out of Circ...kinda like we do today :)

underc

Dec 13, 2005
Edgewood, WA
I can remember sifting through canvas bags of silver dollars from the local bank with my Dad in the early 60's. He was filling out his collection. I have no idea what the cost of the bag was, but I would GLADLY pay face value for one of those bags today. I can still remember the coffee table covered with silver dollars... 100% silver.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
underc said:
I can remember sifting through canvas bags of silver dollars from the local bank with my Dad in the early 60's. He was filling out his collection. I have no idea what the cost of the bag was, but I would GLADLY pay face value for one of those bags today. I can still remember the coffee table covered with silver dollars... 100% silver.

You mean the bag was 100% filled with 90% silver coins. Probably $1000 bags. What a sight that would be.

Mojo

underc

Dec 13, 2005
Edgewood, WA
I was only 6 or 7 at the time, but remember it vividly. I believe you are correct with the $1000. That was a LOT of money in those days and I can remember my Mom not being very happy about the whole situation. Dad had an extensive collection. It was never found when he died. I believe he sold them during his waning years. Anyway, I remember those Citizen State Bank canvas bags like it was yesterday.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
When I was about 11 or 12 (back in 71-72) I would go to my bank and get penny rolls. For whatever reason, after not finding much in them, I lost interest.

Sure wish I had kept it up lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread