N.F. STRING GOOD ROLLS?

Bean

Aug 3, 2008
Georgia
After I read alot of posts on here I figured I would try my luck at CRH.
I went to the bank and asked for 17 half dollar rolls.(I figured I'd start small)
After getting home from work I opened them up and was very happy with what I found,
17 x 40% (one is a 1968s looks like it used to be a proof at one time, kinda dull but still a little shine left)
4 x 64s
5 x franklins
1 x 1935 walker
Not to bad I guess for my first time. I'm hooked now.
The name on the rolls was N.F. STRING & SON,
I was wondering if anyone else was having any luck with these rolls.
The teller said they had more left so I'm going again monday to get as many as I can.
I'll let yall know if I get any more good rolls.

Upvote 0

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
You did better than good on 17 rolls.
More like fantastic!

N.F. String just makes wrappers. CWI uses them when they roll coin.

Congrats!

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Yea I havent had much luck with the yellow wrappers.

Sounds like you had a pretty good run out of 17 rolls.

I'd run back and buy the rest of that batch......... NOW....Seriously...GO...Now......Oh it's Sunday. Get there before someone else does...... By the way which bank did you say you got them from?....LOL

Mojo

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I would say that there is a 99% chance that the rest of those rolls will kick a$$. Listen to Mojo and get there at 9:01am tomorrow.

Jim

OP
OP
Bean

Bean

Aug 3, 2008
Georgia
I went back today and got as many rolls as I could, 10 rolls were the same as the first and they had
5 more hand rolls. This is what I got:
3 x 40%
2 x franklins
1 x 64
So thats a total of:
20 x 40%
13 x 90%
out of 32 rolls so far.
The hand rolls didn't have anything, everything came out of the machine rolls.
Time to hit a new bank.
Anybody else know people that work in gas stations that look out for silver?
I have a friend that looks for me and she found 3 quarters and a rosie in a months time and the best part is she wouldn't
let me give her anything for them. Free of charge!

OP
OP
Bean

Bean

Aug 3, 2008
Georgia
Yeah, There were about 5 or 6 halfs that had X's marked on them in the hand rolls, none in machine rolls.
Also the hand rolls were stamped July 11 2008. So I guess they didn't have them for long or they were rolled at the bank by tellers.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
BBcardsRI said:
Normally the hand rolls do better than the machine rolls.

Very nice work on your finds!

~Dave

In my area machine rolls are far better than hand rolls. I have only had 1 or 2 good hand rolls scores. There are at least a few CRHers here, if not more. Anytime a bank has hand rolls it seems to be dumps. If the bank has a coin machine the coins dont stay in rolls. Only banks here without coin counters keep hand rolls available. Most banks here verify hand rolls, which means a teller looking them over. Many tellers I have met know about silver coins and mention that they take them when they find them. I have yet to find the alturistic teller who gladly turns over silver to a customer and does not keep it for themself.

Today I tried for hand rolls at a bank next to a coin shop I was visiting (picked up an awesome proof american gold eagle one ounce at a relatively low price). The bank had forty dollars worth and I took them all. No keepers. What was interesting about it is that the teller asked me why lately everyone has been coming in and asking for halves? I wonder what she meant by everyone? Probably some fellow treasurenet readers. I told her I did not know, but that there must be alot of collectors out there, or something to that effect. This was the first time I tried for hand rolls in weeks, and thought that with only forty bucks available maybe it was grandpas coins. No luck though.

My favorite way to get halves is to buy a bag directly from a coin machine. I dont get to do it often, but in the past it has been great when I get the chance. That is, when the machine has taken a while to collect and is not regularly visited by a CRHer.

Jim

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
jim4silver said:
Today I tried for hand rolls at a bank next to a coin shop I was visiting (picked up an awesome proof american gold eagle one ounce at a relatively low price). The bank had forty dollars worth and I took them all. No keepers..
Jim

LMAO Jim, you crack me wide.

Trying to find silver at a bank next to the coin shop? Did you really expect to find anything. Thats like trying to find an Orange in an Apple tree. Or cheese in a rat's nest. I coined those myself just now. But you have got to see the humor in it.... Don't you? But stranger things have happend.

I haven't had any luck at any Banks within 1 mile of Coin shops around here.

Mojo

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
coinmojo said:
jim4silver said:
Today I tried for hand rolls at a bank next to a coin shop I was visiting (picked up an awesome proof american gold eagle one ounce at a relatively low price). The bank had forty dollars worth and I took them all. No keepers..
Jim

LMAO Jim, you crack me wide.

Trying to find silver at a bank next to the coin shop? Did you really expect to find anything. Thats like trying to find an Orange in an Apple tree. Or cheese in a rat's nest. I coined those myself just now. But you have got to see the humor in it.... Don't you? But stranger things have happend.

I haven't had any luck at any Banks within 1 mile of Coin shops around here.

Mojo

Good point, I never thought of it like that. But here they have coin shops spread around town. I figure if someone knows the value of silver, they will go to the coin shop. If not, they could walk right past the coin shop to take them to the bank and not know the difference.

I still like my Brinks boxes the best.

Jim

OP
OP
Bean

Bean

Aug 3, 2008
Georgia
I went back to the same bank today and got the last rolls they had.
11 rolls ( all machine rolls, 9 were yellow string & son wrappers, same as before. 2 were some other kind)
Heres the breakdown for today:
6 x 40%
5 x franklins
2 x 64's
All from the yellow string wrappers. She told me to check back friday because they ordered some more. Can't wait!!
I thought that they would only have those hand rolls left, that they had the day before, and I didn't get anything from them,
But I figured I would give them another try and buy the rest of them. So I was real happy to see those yellow wrappers again
when she brought them out to me.
The total now is:
26 x 40%
20 x 90%
Out of 43 rolls.
I'm very happy with those numbers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread