What do you do with the IKEs

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't looked in a while, but I know that they were once selling for a decent premium above face on ebay when sold in bulk. You could give that a shot instead of cashing them in at face value.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've found about 200 Ikes this year, saved one roll and spent the rest. Funny watching the reactions of the recipients. To me, it would just be a hassle listing them on fee-pay.

AMC

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$100 worth has recently sold as high as $157 shipped on several occasions.

Decent profit margin in them.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a coin dealer in my area always pays $1.10 for them, so if I see em, I pick em up for an easy 10% profit

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goes4ever said:
a coin dealer in my area always pays $1.10 for them, so if I see em, I pick em up for an easy 10% profit
In the last year I have ammased almost $2000 worth I called every coin dealer i could find, none even wanted to pay face for them. So back to the bank they went. I have used up every IKE paper wrapper my local BofA had. Now I just put 50 in a baggy.

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
I sold about 3 grand worth on Ebay last Christmas and made about $600. I bought $1000 bags at one of my banks. Only found one Peace dollar in the whole bunch.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver_Fox said:
I sold about 3 grand worth on Ebay last Christmas and made about $600. I bought $1000 bags at one of my banks. Only found one Peace dollar in the whole bunch.

That's a nice profit there for your time. I would do that, but I've never found a bank willing or able to order them.

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leave 'em as tips when I go out to eat.....

It gets rid of them, and I'm sure the wait staff has a field day talking about them.

Robin

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
My bank asks me if I want Ikes almost every week or two when I go in for halves. A t least one of them has some ikes every week or so.

I don't even bother. I rarely do pick them up, especially when the teller says "Ohhh, I have some old silver dollars for you. Do you want them?" I say yes, but they are always Ikes. No silver. I never burst their bubble, as it is too nice of them to save them for me.

But I see nothing of value in Ikes. If you get a peace or morgan fromt eh search that is great, but the ikes themselves are worth $1.00. NO one wnats them for more than that here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread