dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
AMC rulz said:
I've got to say, this is a great hobby and all, but does anyone else get tired. I love it, but I've only been CRHing for 8 months and I'm beat! Of course, other hobbies get some attention, but it's mundane work, that dumping....

AMC

AMC,

I feel your pain. CRHing is great when you are finding good amounts of silver. But when it stops coming, CRHing becomes a chore and not a hobby. I kind of compare it to another hobby I like, fishing. Imagine going to a lake and catching lots of fish. They dont have to be trophy catches, but at least you have fun and keep reeling them in. Now picture sitting at a lake all day without a bite, day after day. Maybe you catch a small bluegill or something, but nothing great. And at least with fishing, when you arent catching anything you are presumably out on a nice lake enjoying the day, drinking some beer, etc. With CRHing, you gotta hoist the bags of dumps to the bank to meet the cheerful, warm greetings of all the tellers who love to see you come in with all your coins so they can actually do some real work and run them for you in the machine, and then test their mechanical know how as the machine jams and beeps like crazy because some of your coins buggered it up some how.

Jim

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
The skunks are annoying to say the least and very disheartening.

I only CRH for like 3 months in the summer then the rest of the year I am busy away at school and even in my short short 3 month timeperiod I get a little bored with the whole thing with skunks.

The nickels kept me interested though because they ALWAYS produce old coins. It is nice to pull 1939 or 1940 coins and such, and you still have the possibility for silver with war nickels. How often do you pull coins from the 30's and 40's? NEVER unless they are nickels. =)

~Dave

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know exactly what your referring to.......burn out. I experienced that in the last quarter of 2007. After several months running of like a scalded dog....it wears you down.....you body gets fatigued. I took a 2 1/2 month break from it. Oh it was a great rest.

Sounds like you could use a little R & R...........

solariscool

Dec 21, 2007
Yeah burn out can be an issue, I know several months back I was dumping and picking up boxes most mornings and afternoons and it darn well wore me out. I've changed the way I do things a little. I don't reroll and I dont haul coins to coin counters. The ones in my town really started to frown on me dumping and causing them to change bags. I found myself visiting all their branches almost daily. Now I send my dumps off to brinks and let them post to my account a few days later. It means I dont go thru as much coin but my results have still been pretty nice and it is a lot easier on my body and burn out factor.

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
I just started up again today, my hunting $$$ was running away too fast so I had to crank the beast back up. I am going to limit my pickups to where I can get at least 4 at a time- that will let go 3 pickups that I used to have unless I can pick one that will double up. I already have 4 boxes set for every day but Tuesday- 8 on Saturday makes up for Sunday. Will be business as usual by the end of the week. Figure to try it out for a couple weeks and see if I want to continue but if I'm not spending the money at the bank I'll spend it somewhere. HH Mark

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Enlighten me... now... you people that get boxes in EVERYDAY. Do you banks that GET those boxes IN on each day... or do they all get them in on one or two day spread and then you just stagger your pick ups?

Because 3 different brands of banks near me ALL get their boxes in on Thurs. or Fri. at the latest. And that is not just 3 different brands, but multiple branches in each brand... they ALL get them at the end of the week. So if I try the hunt each day of the week business, some of my banks will need to hold my orders for almost a full week... and they won't like that...

~Dave

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
One bank gets coin 3 times a week- alot of comercial business. Different (smaller) branch gets coin once a week- Friday late, so I pickup there Sat morn. Another bank just needs a couple days notice. Smaller branches will get a load once a week or every other week. Large (downtown, main) branches can get coin more often, or they have the vault to hold them and dole out to you. HH Mark

solariscool

Dec 21, 2007
BBcardsRI said:
Care to tell us how sending off to brinks works? Do you have a business where you send off from?

~Dave

I haul in loose coin into the bank(BOA), and they put it in a plastic security bag. Next time brinks comes in they pick it up and haul it to a near by city. Then it is run thru their coin counter and credited to my account. Usually takes 3 days, sometimes it is 4 days. Lately they give me the plastic security bags to take home to load them up. I'd rather have the cash in my hand daily but I cant deal with rerolling or hauling to several dump banks. For me, the brinks coin vault is worth the couple days down time.

When I was getting boxes daily I had a list of the banks in town and their delivery days. This town is big enough I found m-f deliveries without a problem.

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
Do you pay for such service from Brinks? I asked about that at my local bank (not BOA) and was told that it came at a price.

Brian

solariscool

Dec 21, 2007
The service comes free with my BOA account. They force all customers to send their loose change off to the brinks coin vault. I am told the BOA's locally used to have coin counters in them. Now they dump it all in Brinks lap.

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
Kinda like one of my Banks. They give me bags. I write my Acct. # on it, put in $500 and take it in. They give me the money up front. They said if it is short or long when it gets spun up at there central place they will credit or debit. Never had a debit or credit to my acct. I don't count my coins either. I really don't think they check. It's had to be a few of one way or the other. I've been using this set up for a year and a half. I dump 2K+ a month on them.

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Mark, thanks for the tip about big banks getting more than 1 weekly delivery.

The first few banks I ordered from were all fairly heavily trafficked banks, but normal sized and not like the "bank headquarters" or a giant "main street" type bank, though I HAVE ordered from them after. I never asked about multiple deliveries in a week because I just assumed everyone got them once a week around here. If I ever start up my box offers again down the line, I will have to keep this info in mind and ask the big boys if they get coin more than once a week.

Solar, thanks for the info on how you do it.

Around here, BOA's do have coin counter machines. And the different banks I belong to have all REFUSED to give me the sealed coin bags to fill up and bring in. They all claimed that Brink debits THEIR account for the change and that it can't be switched off to a debit to MY specific bank account. Would LOVE to be able to get in on this type of service. Albeit, I would need quite a few extra grand in cash to spend on boxes to make this feasible, as the wait period messes things up.

Now when you bring in bags... how does that work with volume? Do you only do a few boxes a week/month? If you do a lot... like 10+ boxes a week... whether in one weekly load or throughout the week, would you just bring ALL the bags to one bank without them getting STEAMED at you for having to carry so many bags? Or would you bring them into multiple BOA's?

~Dave

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
Dave,

I dump 5-6 bags per week at one BOA (usually 1-2 bags per visit). I use to bring in hand rolls and finally they asked if I wouldn't mind placing it in the plastic bags. I was more than happy to do that! I think sometimes they get tired of dealing with all of the bagged coins. It now is kind of a joke when I come in. The tellers go "Oh No, not you again!" and laugh. Sometimes they have my cash waiting for me once they see me walk through the door. It has really worked out quite well and once you get over feeling bad for bringing all of the coins in on a weekly basis it is no big deal and considered "standard practice" for me as their customer. In fact I have increased my order at one bank so know I will be bringing in at least one more additional bag per week.

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
I know what you mean about the "oh no not you!" type talk. I have heard that exact statement at MY dump bank... it is a coin machine bank... so not only do they need to move bags in and out of the machine (sometimes 3-5 bags a trip) but they need to open the machine... type in their code... replace the bag... drag the bag away... and that has to be done 3+ times in a short time because I fill the half bag multiple times a trip. I even asked after they started with their SEMI-joke complaints if I could do bags instead myself... and just have them bring them in and they told me NOPE. I then told them well... I'm just trying to make it easier on YOU guys... but they said it just wasn't possible.

1-2 bags a day isn't so bad... can manage to carry that in in one trip. More than that and you need a hand cart or to go back to the car a few times (been there done that).
If I get back into this I will need to look into the BOA situation and see if I can get the same deal as you guys. If that is the case I will close my account with the counter machine and open a BOA account in its place.

I would love to get into this stuff like crazy like some of the people on here... with like 40 boxes a week, but I have never topped 10 a week personally, and those were all within 2 days (due to my lack of delivery dates at banks). It wouldn't be bad at all though if they pay me on the spot and credit or debit the account, as opposed to solar who has to wait 4 days.

~Dave

solariscool

Dec 21, 2007
BBcardsRI said:
<snip>

Solar, thanks for the info on how you do it.

Around here, BOA's do have coin counter machines. And the different banks I belong to have all REFUSED to give me the sealed coin bags to fill up and bring in. They all claimed that Brink debits THEIR account for the change and that it can't be switched off to a debit to MY specific bank account. Would LOVE to be able to get in on this type of service. Albeit, I would need quite a few extra grand in cash to spend on boxes to make this feasible, as the wait period messes things up.

Now when you bring in bags... how does that work with volume? Do you only do a few boxes a week/month? If you do a lot... like 10+ boxes a week... whether in one weekly load or throughout the week, would you just bring ALL the bags to one bank without them getting STEAMED at you for having to carry so many bags? Or would you bring them into multiple BOA's?

~Dave

Yeah it does take some extra cash to make this system work for me. I spent the last few months growing it and am still adding to funds every couple weeks. They've been taking in 4k a week so far. Any boxes beyond that I have been taking to a different branch in canvas bags. I'd really just like to take it all to the closest bank but Im not looking to upset anyone. The teller I've been dealing with there has been there 10 years and is very happy to help.... love that woman.

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
I used to do 8=10 a week. Once the numbers dropped of, I cut down to 2. And chasing loose and hand rolled.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions