To those who do nickels, keep an Eye out!

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A friend of mine who is much more into coins than I told me to keep an eye out for 68D nickels

Apparently very few survive in good shape, and even fewer have all the steps on the back due to a week die.

If all 5 steps are showing on a 68D, they are going for about $10,000 to $14000 each. Lesser examples are $25 to $1000 each.

This is common on a lot of pre 70 but post 60's nickels.

So, keep an eye out for Brilliant 60s era nickels that are in great shape. Do some research on them and you will be surprised to see what you will find.

Upvote 0

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
There are other coins and other dates of nickels that there are similar cases for. All the steps... full rims, etc. etc.

I don't bother to look for all this stuff because to be worth that much they need to be rare, and I don't have the time to spend playing the coin lottery. ;)

~Dave

OP
OP
jewelerdave

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Arnt we all playing the coin lottery when we open a roll? ;)
some prizes are nothing, some are some silver, others can be a bonanza.

The nice thing about CRHing is its like gambling...but you just cant really lose much of anything, and mostly just gain!

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Just found an awesome 1962 nickel. Aside from a small scratch under Monticello(between the T and the E in 'five'"), it appears to be perfect, all 5 steps visible. Any idea if this coin would be in the same leauge as the 68d mentioned here?

Attachments

• sweet 1962.JPG
    sweet 1962.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 229
OP
OP
jewelerdave

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check Ebay, look under completed auctions, Looks like they are selling for $5 to $40 each.
Id say, SELL IT if you found it for 5 cents. anything over a few dollars is a great deal..

Id see about getting a clearer pic of the steps, that seems to be what the hard core collectors want to see, up close and all steps, if you can get that, you should get some decent $ for it.

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Thats awesome, thanks Dave. Funny thing is, I pulled another '62 tonight with steps visible. The overall condition is not as great, but the steps are there. And still have about $100 left to search!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread