Made an Unintentional Donation Today

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Gang, before you call me a dumba$$, let me have the pleasure. I had finished searching my weekly dose of 12,000 halves and had put the spoils in a zip lock bag and left it on the front seat. I couldn't have been away from the car for 3 minutes. Some genius reached in and got over 200 silver halves within seconds. I knew my luck would run thin sooner or later. At least he didn't carry away the almost 320 pounds of clad halves. I will not make the same mistake twice. Thanks for keeping the laughter to a small uproar. Jim

Upvote 0

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
F 'n OUCH!
not the first time someone on this forum has been robed.
At least they did not get the core of your hunting money. But Ouch!

Hide it under garbage. keep a towl in the car...or use the glovebox.
I say keep a messy car, the trashier it looks. The less likely one would think it has something of value in there!

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Well, the good news is, the doper that stole your silver will spend it on their next fix, so you'll get them back. Eventually............you'll just have to buy them at the bank again.

OUCH!!!

At least they aren't worth as much as they were a month ago!! Think how much THAT would have hurt! ;D

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
200 out of 12,000- your hunting has improved! Been quite awhile since I got that many out of 12 boxes. Just hope they get counted again where you buy. HH Mark

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
Damn Jim that sucks man. Shame of it is it couldnt have happened to a better guy. Maybe the effer will overdose and we will have one less theif in the world. Okay thats a bit harsh but the way i feel right now. Take care Jim I hope that you find twice as many more next week!

Kenneth

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Not long ago a poster here reported how someone stole several boxes from his car, when he had them in the back or front seat, I cannot remember.

It is sooo very important to put your coins IN THE TRUNK!!!!. And always LOCK YOUR CAR'S DOORS! Even in your own driveway.

Yes, an experienced crook can break into your trunk if they want to bad enough, but I believe 99% of these thefts are by thieves who routinely look into the cab portion of cars wherever they go. They see money or other valuables on the front or back seat, and they go in.

The world is full of desperate degenerates who will take anything from you they can. Don't make it easy for them. I bet the guy who stole your coins won't even know they are silver and will cash them at a coinstar or bank.

I cannot imagine anyone here would laugh at you for this. But hopefully people reading this will learn from what happened to you and not let it happen to them.

You cannot trust people these days when it comes to money. And its gonna get worse as the economy gets worse.

Jim

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Silver Stripe said:
200 out of 12,000- your hunting has improved! Been quite awhile since I got that many out of 12 boxes. Just hope they get counted again where you buy. HH Mark

Great week 200 silver out of 12 boxes.

Sorry for your misshap.

Mojo

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I live in a small-town area where one might be tempted to leave doors unlocked.

If I get out of my vehicle, I lock the doors. I do not care where I am, what time of day it is, what is in my vehicle, etc.

I still lock them.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
also......if you have power locks, dont walk away and hit the lock button on your remote...these guys have a device that picks up your signal and as soon as your inside they unlock your doors and have at it...always lock your doors from the inside. there has been a rash of thefts like this in philly lately and it only takes a few minutes and their gone....

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Ewww that blows!

OVER 200 silver coins from 12 boxes is a REALLY REALLY nice average over that much searched... you must be killing yourself at having that stolen away.

But like you said... at least they only stole the $100+ in silver face and the $5,800+ in clad!

If it makes you feel better about your mistake... I ran into the store the other day for a few minutes and left my car running. =) Luckily it was still there when I got back! ;)

~Dave

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
BBcardsRI said:
Ewww that blows!

OVER 200 silver coins from 12 boxes is a REALLY REALLY nice average over that much searched... you must be killing yourself at having that stolen away.

But like you said... at least they only stole the $100+ in silver face and the $5,800+ in clad!

If it makes you feel better about your mistake... I ran into the store the other day for a few minutes and left my car running. =) Luckily it was still there when I got back! ;)

~Dave

Dave,

I am sure your story would be more comforting to him if your car had actually gotten jacked. LOL!!

Jim

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Well, Jim... it isn't so much the loss as it is the personal stupidty for make the loss a possibility. ;)

And although it may have made HIM feel better if that were the case... I know I certainly wouldn't be feeling too hot right now. =)

~Dave

OP
OP
coolpix9

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks to all of you for your sage advice. I believe I have learned my lesson(albeit expensive). I feel lucky that I have such good friends here on the forum. My wish is for none of you to be bit by the "Dumba$$ Bug " Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread