Searching Clear Wrapped Coins

Nonickels

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2008
Hi everyone.

Just needed a little advice here. Due to my job I have the chance to look through a few hundred clear wrapped coin rolls each week. I have been burned a few times, thinking I had found a silver coin then it turned out to be Canadian. I can't actually open up all of these rolls, but I can look at the sides. Any advice for me on what to look for? Thanks for any help.

Upvote 0

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Clear rolls in my experience produce less silver than hand rolled coins but they are a lot easier to check for sure. You want to look closely because sometimes light reflects off that plastic and makes the new coins look silver at times. Second just look for the solid silver color. I silver coin in really good shape will almost appear white. On the flip side a really circulated dirty silver coin can look almost black. If you see something like that in the roll it may be worth going through it.

-Golden Silver

johloh

Aug 5, 2008
also, if you try a few times you can easily open a clear roll and put the coins back in...when I search boxes (all clear rolls) I re-roll them in the same clear plastic.

dont rip the roll top open just bend a tiny bit till the first coin falls out, then you can shift a little to get the rest out without stretching the roll. they slip back in pretty easily.

that way your work wont freak out if you open a roll that is a skunk...

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Agree with the person above me... thats how I do them as well on the rare occasion they are what the bank has to give me.

As far as what to look for, just look for the classic silver rim. Its hard to see through the plastic sometimes, but canadian rims have different ridges than the american ones, so with a close look you can get a good feel for if it is canadian or american coinage.

~Dave

snappy

Jan 23, 2007
sidney montana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
IT is easy to test it to see if it is canadian before you open it take strong magnet, if it does not stick open it. If it sticks don't.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread