My first $100 in Nickles

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Bought 2,000 nickles today, and had a blast searching them. I think this will be a fun backup hobby when I can't get out there and metal detect. Had several finds I enjoyed, and here are my results.

2 1941
2 1948
6 1953
3 1957

2 canadian nickles and a penny

These will definatly go nicely in the coin books I plan to buy soon. I want to see if I can fill all the Jefferson books from hunting. I also want to do an extra one for my dad, since he likes coins too. And it will make a good gift, since his birthday is in October.

Looks like I have 2 silver in there, as the 44 and 45 both have a P above Monticello. Is 1 silver per 1000 coins average? Or did I get lucky/shafted? Also, why are there so many 1964 nickles? I must have gone through 60 of them at least. I set aside all the 60s and 70s to sort later, once I get a book or two, and man, the '64s were everywhere.

Thanks to all of you for helping me with this fun little hobby. I can see how it can be truly addictive. Also checked 1,800 dimes, but no silver there :(.

Anthony

Upvote 0

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
Hello Anthony welcome to CRHing! I love doing nickels its maybe my favorite thing to search(I dont have the bankroll to search halves lol)

Looks like you had a good day there. 2 war nics in 100 dollars is very good! There will be a few pre60s that are hard to find but you can easily find most of the book and maybe even all of them if you get lucky. Filling them by October will be a tall order though You better get to searching! lol

As for the 64's the mint made a crapload of them. throw them in the reject bin lol

Do you keep your Canadian's? If not make sure to keep all of them under 1981 they are .999 nickel and sell for a premium. Once you get a few if you dont want them ill take them off your hands.

I have never done dimes but I think if you find one silver in a bag($1000 I think) you are doing well.

Anyway hope this helps. feel free to PM me any questions you have. Cant wait to hear when you find your first wild Buffalo;)

-K

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Yea... the 64's is a common thing... they were minted en masse.

Keeping the 60's and 70's is good since you want to make sets, but if you are just keeping them for the "good" nickels... nothing in the 60's is really worth it. 60 and 61 and perhap? 62... have one variant with under a 100mil minted, but even that isn't too hot.

Grats on the two war nicks. I would say you beat the odds there, but those war nicks are a mystery. Sometimes you get hot with them and get a few each day... then you go cold for a week or two...

Very nice stash though for your first search... I can see why you like it.

~Dave

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Thanks for the comments. I was hoping to bring in 2 war nickles every box I searched, but sounds like thats a tall order. But, Maybe Ill get lucky now and then. As for Buffalos, as far as I know they are extinct. Id probably fall out of my chair if I found one wild in a coin roll! I dont think I will do the first Jefferson book for my dad, maybe just book 2 and 3. It is more to replace all the nickles I pilfered out of his coin jar as a kid to go and buy baseball cards.

Thanks for the comments, and encouragement. HH,
Anthony

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Book 2 is a FUN one and is COMPLETELY doable without a HUGE stack of nickel boxes in your future.

As far as the buffs... I've searched thousands of dollars worth and have found a single one... my mom... who has searched I think 10 total rolls with me has also found one out of those...

So I mean... it is a total crapshoot. ;) Though the averages over a long haul is incredibly slim. I hope you find some though!

And I hope those silver finds keep coming for you as well!

Are you just doing bank boxes or do you also do handrolls/machine bags?

~Dave

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
I bank with Navy Federal, and they don't like to give out too many rolls at once. They appear to be handrolled, and there are many different coloered and style rollers when I buy nickles. They dont give me a box, but they have a tray that they bring them out in, then give them to me loose. I carry something in with me to tote them out in. I assume these are rolls turned in by customers, but, I cant be sure. Sometimes the ends are taped. I am taking a break atm from some hunting. $110 in nickles and $25 in pennies. One silver so far, and half the nickles to go! But, I'll post the results afterwards.

I would really like to do halves, but, they are hard to get from my bank. I ask often, and they have only had them once. Took 17 rolls home, and was skunked. Yesterday my wife called around, and found a branch with 30 rolls. She left, and by the time she got there, they were gone. Worst thing about it is they wont order boxes for me. I have asked several times at different branches :(. Had to go to 2 banks today to get all the rolls I did. One bank would only give $10 in nickles. Asked for $200 at the second, and they said they could only spare $100. Oh well, take em while you can right?

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Definately.

The more banks you hit the more you learn and the more coin you can round up.

Try any branches found in supermarkets if you have any near you. They were always by far my best producers for the amount of rolls they could spare. I could count on each bank branch for $100 each day in nickels. Sometimes it was as high as $300.

~Dave

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Went through another $110 in nickles last night, as well as $25 in pennies. Found lots of keepers in the nickles, and a few in the penny box. I really didnt bother keeping every copper I could find, although I know they are technically worth more than a penny just for the metal. I do have a question concerning the pennies. In the book I am working on, for 1982, it says there is a small and large date variety. What is the difference? I set all the 82s aside to work out later, once I know what they are. Can anyone post a picture to illustrate please?

For the pennies, I found:
4 canadian
2 dimes
1 republic of panama
and 3 wheats - 1945 1957D and 1948

Slim pickins considering how many oldies the nickles produce. In the Nickle Box, my keepers were:

2 canadian: 1987 and 1988
3 1941
1945s
3 1952
1952s
2 1953d
2 1954
1954d
1955d
1957d
3 1958d
2 1959d

Not a bad haul I think. 1 silver, and lots of other oldies, more than with the first batch :)

Anthony

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Nice work on the nickels! Glad your silver streek is still going with them! =)

As far as the 82 pennies...

I have yet to try and sort them all out. Not only is there a small/large date difference but there is a small and large date version for both copper AND zinc versions of the 82. Making a TON of variants out there needed for the book. I just weigh them for copper content and move on. Some day I will end up filling those holes in the book though... =) I just don't have the time or patience right now to sort it all out.

~Dave

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
Looks like another good haul. More silver even, NICE!

Those Buffalos do wander into the wild from time to time. You keep searching and you'll find one sometime:-)

As far as the 82's yeah there is a bunch of varients. I throw all my 82's in a jar. i figure sometime down the line I may just look through them. Plus I get about 80-85% copper here. I have a scale but figure i can sort them and look for large and small dates etc later on down the road lol

The coppers you can sell about 1.5 cents apeice. So it really just depends on if you think its worth your time. i look at the ones i put back as an investment for days down the road. But you can turn over a quick profit. If you are searchign for the wheats anyway you can throw your coppers in a jar you dont even have to be to crazy about it if you miss some oh well lol

You can also check out the forums at www.realcent.com bunch of good guys who are penny crazy. yeah Im a member lol

Good luck!

-K

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Well, managed to find $200 in nickles today. Only 1 war nickle in the lot. Seems slim considering I had 3 in the last $210. Oh well, here are the results. Had a nice roll with a 39, 51, and 57 all together, and another roll with a 39 and a 52! Also found a superb 62 with all 5 steps visible. Apparently it is worth some money on ebay :).

3 1939
2 1941
1945s
2 1946
2 1948
1951d
2 1952
1954d
2 1956d
3 1957
4 1957d
5 1958d