airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lunchtime hunt and I'm hooked!

I went out to lunch and dropped by two of my local banks.

Out of $10. of nickels, I can say I have a solid 30% of them are pre '64; the oldest is '39 and most of them are '46 - '59.

I'll post hte exact count later tonight, if anyone is curious!

I live in a small town, I tried to hit the 'older' (if in name only) banks - one I figure all the old tymers would take their loot to.

I have to say, with the harsh winters in the area, I think I just found my wintertime treasure hunting past time! Sure beats panning in a freezing creek! LOL

Upvote 0

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
Re: Lunchtime hunt and I'm hooked!

Nice job ab. i to live in a small town. While it makes gettign large quanities difficult at times when you can get coins there is usually some good stuff to find. feel free to post your totals we love to hear them lol

On a side note If you do decide to keep the 60,61, and 62 nic's. my suggestion would be to only keep the ones that are plain. ie no d mintmak. I only keep these in very good condition. Dont keep the 64's they minted in the bajillions lol

-K

OP
OP
airborne1092

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So, preliminary report on nickels as follows:

2x39
6x40
6x41
6x46
3x47
2x48
a 49, 52 & 53
6x54
a 56
4x57
a 58, 60 & 62
3x63 and
21x64 (I see what you mean by "a bajillion"!)

I also went out to a SMALL town bank 'up north' and picked up 23 half dollars and scored a '62 Ben and a '64, '65 & '68 (and of course 2x bicentennials) :thumbsup:

On my way back into town, I stopped to fill up my work car and pulled a '58 WP out fo the take a penny, leave a penny... You can guess which I did! LOL

More to follow as work allows!

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac

Very nice Nickle finds. I have hunted several hundred dollars now, and I dont have anywhere near those oldies :)

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor

Ju people keep per60's simply because most of them have low mintages and they are getting harder to find.

42-45 are sliver(Note: only the 42 with a big mintmark on the back above the Montecello are silver)

hh

-K

pegleg

Aug 9, 2008
Hell's Cotton Field- NC
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT

Sweet-welcome to the sport! As someone one on here once told me, good luck getting that hook out of your mouth!!! :thumbsup:

HH
Mike

OP
OP
airborne1092

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, it's the end of the week. It seems that my luck was only the beginner's type!

I reinvested the money that I wasnt going to keep and searched more banks in the area. The only other things I came up with was 2x '77 Ikes at one bank, three more late '60s halves and a hand full of nickels '46 - '59.

I have to say, I'm done with dimes! Too small, too much money for no luck. :( I know I can check the rims, but I guess I got discouraged and have too little money to invest to make dimes fun.

It seems someone else has cleaned out the banks downtown already - I always ask the tellers if and when someone was in last.

Also, I'll begrudgingly admit I did learn one thing from my current duty assignment - I am also keeping track of which bank I visit and on what day, What I find at each one and also a point of contact or a note of who the nice folks are. I also leave my names and number to contact me if they come across anything I was looking for. This way, I don't waste time and effort doubling up on banks or bothering them too much!

Good luck to you all!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread